What language?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: What language?
By Eliel (Eliel) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

If you could speak a different(besides English)language which one would it be and why...

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Icelandic!

Or for a less erratic choice, Italian or Japanese fluently, and not just enough to ask for water or say "merry christmas" to my relatives... haha...

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Proto-Indo-European

To unravel the mystery of what it was, structure, vocab etc.

By Britbrat8604 (Britbrat8604) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:54 pm: Edit

german? it sounds kinda cool and is apparently hard to learn

either that or italian

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Esperanto

By Acennace (Acennace) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 04:50 am: Edit

French...
I wish I can learn it very easily. I've learned it (w/out courses) for 3 years and I still suck at it.

Another language: Japanese -> almost 30% of the people in my school are Japanese

By Hakujin (Hakujin) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:14 am: Edit

Japanese! Maybe thats why I'm living in Japan. Who knows?

By _Twinkletoes (_Twinkletoes) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

italian. it is such a beautiful language.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:46 pm: Edit

Cantonese/Mandarin
My mom is from Hong Kong and speaks Cantonese. But they only teach Mandarin in college.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Well I'm working my hardest to get the most fluent command of the Spanish language as possible in high school, but that's more because I love languages in general than anything. I like Spanish, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

I love the Scandinavian languages, so one of those. Japanese would be nice too, though.

By Ninjamom (Ninjamom) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:19 pm: Edit

Dutch...

...because when I retire I want to live on a houseboat on a canal in Amsterdam...

By Eliel (Eliel) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

anyone else?

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 02:15 pm: Edit

From my experience in Holland, you'll have NO chance to practice: everyone speaks English, and wants to practice on you!

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

esperanto

By Patient (Patient) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

Ninjamom, I'm with you. Dutch, because it is my heritage. Then, Spanish. Then, Italian. Already have French. Once the last children have flown the coop, I truly do want to go to spend at least 6 months in each of those countries and do immersion instruction. I did a quick Google search and so far have found such Dutch schools in areas of Belgium; will go back and try to find one in Holland itself. Flemish and Dutch are about the same language I think though so studying it in Belgium would probably also work.

Jenniferpa is right about Europeans wanting to speak English to you when they know you are American. I think that the thing to do is find an immersion school in the country and study it all day long and then just try your hardest to practice it as much as possible afterward.

By Alejandro (Alejandro) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 09:55 pm: Edit

"german? it sounds kinda cool and is apparently hard to learn"

Ive been having classes for the last three years and im not even close to having perfect grammar. Sentence structures are completely different than the conventional ones, not to mention article, verb and adjective declinations.
NOT AN EASY LANGUAGE!!!

By Eliel (Eliel) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

you should have taken Spanish or Italian!!!
Easier!Why didnt you?

By Nedad (Nedad) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

Sindarin and Quenya.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit

So many languages so litte time.
Sindarian
Quenya
Italian
French
German
Russian
Chinese
Japanese
Arabic

By Tkdgal (Tkdgal) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Portugese.

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu owns the world :)

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Brazilian Ju-Jitsu? I speak Spanish (only because it's the most applicable option taught at my school), but I'm going to learn German and Mandarin hopefully by the time I'm out of grad school. Maybe Russian or Farsi as well.

I think Swahili would be a fun language to learn. It's so different than any romantic languages.

Eliel, maybe not everyone wants to take the easy way out...

By Eliel (Eliel) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

ok...so be it! Probably some people learn languages not just for the fun of it...but to use it...get it? Some people actually have better things than to consider learning a language that they will never use(swahili)for fun.And...to bad for you that Spanish is to hard or not fun enough for you...swahili...lol...lol.
Good Luck!

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:04 am: Edit

Wow. Nice one. I didn't say Spanish is too hard for me. I said I'm taking it because it's offered and I can "use it" where I live - southwest United States. So yeah, that fits your reasons for taking a language. Do I pass?

I think taking Swahili would be fun, not because of learning an obscure language but because you can learn a lot about the culture. A lot of the religion and culture of eastern Africa is embedded into their languages, Swahili being a major one.

Spanish is "fun" and it isn't "too hard". Other people said obscure languages as well. Jump on their interest in the rest of the world, why don't you.

By Eliel (Eliel) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

ok.''Jump on their interest in the rest of the world, why don't you.''-Spanish, is a language outside of like America and something we can use everyday...so I am pretty much open minded and I am learnig a foreign language(spanish and French)...just keep learning something...dont stop.

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Japanese. Hands down.

By Tobes (Tobes) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Moojuice, here's your first Swahili lesson: "jambo" means hello/good day. that's all i know in swahili lol---used to know a little more.
As for me, I'm currently learning french and i plan to be fluent by the time i graduate from college. Le francais est la plus belle langue du monde!
After that, I want to study italian, russian, polish, yiddish, hebrew, and ladino

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Russian.

By Moojuice (Moojuice) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

lol, thanks Tobes. Here's your first Russian lesson: "priviet" means hello/good day. :D

I took a semester course in Russian at the local community college and it was a beast. It didn't help though that I had to waste an hour driving to and from the class, which really cut down on my time to study for Russian as well as my high school classes. Russian really is as hard as they say it is and if you're going to take it as a serious student, make sure to leave plenty of study time for it.

By Ticklemepink (Ticklemepink) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Took Spanish. Was fun.

But I plan on learning some Russian... maybe some Arabic (getting interested in Middle Eastern stuff)... but I would love to learn French, Japanese, Mandarin... Danish (I would definitely get to learn it if I go on this study abroad program that my college approves of).

I should learn some Hebrew as I'm a Jew.. Egads. Yiddish too.

By Baggins (Baggins) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:24 am: Edit

I actually took some Arabic lessons from a Syrian that lives in the area. She is my Sunday school teacher. She gave up because I got really busy with school. I've been able to read Arabic since before I can remember, I just can't understand it. I'm a muslim and learning Arabic is a big thing for me.

By Alejandro (Alejandro) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 01:44 pm: Edit

Eliel, i didnt take spanish and italian cuz i speak spanish already and understand italian so i wanted a challenge. I also speak portuguese and catalan...italian is next though :)

By Upandover (Upandover) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

French and Chinese (and other Chinese dialects - Cantonese, Hokkien, Foochow) . Then maybe ppl would stop calling me a banana.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

I wish i could speak like nine languages, or speak like one really cool langauge that most people can't. I love dutch, Italian and swedish, but i think languages are fascinating, that its just cool how many there are

By Ninjamom (Ninjamom) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Patient - Jenniferpa:

I know what you mean about speaking english in Holland, I've been there a few times and almost everyone speaks english...but it would be wonderful to be there and be fluent...

Tkdgal:

Studying with the Gracies...very cool
but I know you have some 540's and 720's in you!
(three60roundhouse...)

By Twinkletoes696 (Twinkletoes696) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

I would learn...hmmm. I think I'd learn Russian, or Mandarin.

By Somecanadianguy (Somecanadianguy) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

French (already know somewhat good) or Italian (would love to work for Ferrari) plus they are good for attracting women, or so I've been told. German is also pretty cool and it sounds commanding and powerful. Language I wouldn't want to know would be Polish (no offense, most of my friends are Polish) just the way they talk is kinda whiney.

By Hakujin (Hakujin) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 01:49 pm: Edit

I asked myself this same question about a year ago. I'd been learning Spanish for like six years or so and started studying Japanese just for kicks. I was offered a chance to go to Japan for a year and I took it. Here I am, in Japan, for free learning Japanese. The sacrifice to learn this language was, finishing my Junior year, spending time with friends, and possibly not getting into a top college. Oh well, I guess opportunity costs.

By Rachelvish (Rachelvish) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

I can speak Russian and read it... but not like a native- I used to be when I was 5 to 10 yrs old bc that was my first language!But not anymore. So I would like to become at a native level.

Swahili also because I like how it sounds- "jambo"-- ahh so cool!

Also, I'm studying Italian in school and I wish I knew it better- our teacher is easy, and if I had the one that I had in 7th and 8th grade I think I'd be fluent by now. Oh well. Always next year to self-study.

I would like to know as many languages as I can.

By Aussie_Girl (Aussie_Girl) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 04:49 am: Edit

actually, i found german very easy-the adjective endings are really difficult, but the grammer was easy :) once you get over the initial year or so, it gets heaps easier- i learnt it for five years in high-school and loved it coz i didn't have to study for it :)
here's some jap for all of you: Konitchi wa. Watashi wa (insert name here) des. Genki des ka?
(Hello. My name is .....How are you?) my friend taught me! and 'lay-ho' is mandarin for hello...

By Baggins (Baggins) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

My first language was Urdo. I moved to the US at 5. I have a 5 year old's vocabulary and every time I go to Pakistan my cousins make fun of me.

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Russian.

By Alita (Alita) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

Arabic (which i'm working on)
Persian
Turkish
Danish
Czech
Quechua
Navajo

By Elementree (Elementree) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

My first language was Yoruba; regional dilect spoken in parts of western Africa (my family is actually from Nigeria). I don't speak it as well as I used to and that's why I really want to attend Bryn Mawr College and take introduction to Yoruba at UPenn. Other than that, I know German, Spanish and Latin<- learnt this in h.s. I'm really hoping to transfer to a school that offers language housing where students only speak in a designated language. I eventually hope to participate in study abroad and obtain full fluency in Spanish and German. Hopefully I'll also be able to add in either Arabic (b/c I'm muslim), Japanese, Italian or Portugese. I think for the further language studies, I'm going to have to enroll in Berlitz.

By Bee_Bee (Bee_Bee) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

je parle francais. qui parle francais ici?

By Eliel (Eliel) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

moi,je le parle bien et toi...qui plus...

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

oh, moi aussi. j'ai reussi un controle en francais au jourd'hui. j'ai peur que je l'ai rate (ratay)

accents, cedillas, and circumflexes(spllng) have not been used cuz i dont know how

By Coqui (Coqui) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

I spanish fluently (native speaker), but I still want to learn the other Romance languages.

Italian, French, Portugese...am I missing one?

Any Asian language too, like Cantonese, Japanese, Korean, etc......b/c they are uselful and are one of the few languages where it is damn near impossible to even make out one word if you've never spoken it before. At least in German and Euro lang's you can make SOME words out.

By Sanfranstudent (Sanfranstudent) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 07:53 pm: Edit

yeah your missing catalan and romanian

By Jwood (Jwood) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I´m learning Spanish and French, but I want to learn as many languages as possible. Maybe German next.

I can´t understand how an English speaker could learn a completely foreign language such as Japanese or Arabic. When I read in French, it seems like 40% of the words have cognates in English so it´s easy to figure it out. How could I ever learn to read in Arabic? French and English and Spanish are more like dialects of the same language when you consider how similar they are compared to more exotic languages.

By Muslimah_Angel (Muslimah_Angel) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Arabic...I'm Muslim, and it's really important to me. I'd love to learn it...can't wait till fall semester starts when I take my first Arabic class!

By Muslimah_Angel (Muslimah_Angel) on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 10:42 pm: Edit

oh, and jwood, reading arabic is hella easy...it's everything else about the language that is seemingly impossible

By Wishful_Thinker (Wishful_Thinker) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

love spanish

love to learn latin and mayan and sanskrit (know hindi/urdu...a mix basically... and started to learn sanskrit but not as much as i want to)

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:57 am: Edit

id learn fluent Latin...i take it at school..but, thats just reading. no fun. then i could learn Romantic languages easier. id love to speak Italian, French and Flemish.
And I want to learn to speak Arabic... and maybe Hindi...ah! too many languages!

By Alita (Alita) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

moi, j'etudie le francais aussi et cet ete je vais en france pour presque deux mois! dans quel niveau du francais etes vous?

By Philntex (Philntex) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

on parle français ici? héhé. je savais pas ça.

Back from commercial break now, I'd love to delve into the classical languages (i.e. classical Greek and Latin). That's a cop out for continuing to put off Asian and African languages. Oy vey.

By Wunderkind__Not (Wunderkind__Not) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

natuerlich...Deutsch

schau mal..."wunderkind__not"

lol

By Wunderkind__Not (Wunderkind__Not) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Also, Russian...arguably the most expressive language in the world!

I love expression

By Mentallydrangd (Mentallydrangd) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:29 pm: Edit

i wanna speak that clicking African language... I think that would be so awesome. I already take English, Spanish, French, and Latin, ( and a lil Hebrew) so that 1 would be a nice one to pick up~!

By Zhou (Zhou) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 08:27 am: Edit

I speak Mandarin,Cantonese,English,Japanese(I picked it up last summer),and another Chinese dialect.Frankly speaking,Mandarin is not romantic at all.I'd like to add French to my language list if possible this summer.

By Skulkarni1 (Skulkarni1) on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

hindi. my parents are from india so i guess im biased but i don't know hindi, and yet of all the languages ive heard of (including the state indian languages of my parents like kannada and marathi which i think sound very rude) hindi sounds beautiful. It just sounds like a very beautiful language in terms of the way the phrases are and everything.

id also like to learn spanish for practical reasons - so many people know it!

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Italian, Hebrew, and Japanese seem interesting.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

yoruba, french, english

By Chriscornelluv (Chriscornelluv) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Irish, Scots Gaelic and Galician

By Fenix_Three (Fenix_Three) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:29 am: Edit

Got Russian, English, French. Want to take Latin, German... I think any romance language after those should be pretty easy. Grammar's doable, it's prononciation that screws me over. Sorry for the harsh language :)

By Salamanda (Salamanda) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:10 pm: Edit

Thai, Latin and Italian

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

uh...well I already know 3 languages...English, Spanish and Farsi, so I guess I'd either learn French or Italian.

By Ibkid (Ibkid) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:51 am: Edit

anyone speak serbo-croatian here?

By Muppetcoat (Muppetcoat) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:55 am: Edit

American Sign Language... oh wait. I do. :) (Yay for language requirements)

By Gidget (Gidget) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

Well... I sepak english, french , spanish and Inuktitut but I would really love to learn another language

I would love to learn more Mohawk (my heritage) I don't know all that much. or other aborigional languages, they are so beautiful. and i would love to learn Gaelic ( also my heritage)

By Brockpojo767 (Brockpojo767) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

Japanese

By Innotof (Innotof) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Russian, French, Spanish, Arabic, Hindi, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Portugese, Hebrew, Greek, Latin, etc.....

By Alicia129 (Alicia129) on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Definitely want to improve my Italian skills, then work on learning Welsh, Finnish, Scottish Gaelic and Farsi

By Princess_Banana (Princess_Banana) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

Yay Muppetcoat:

Way to represent ASL!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 02:43 am: Edit

-portuguese...so i can communicate with my paternal grandpa and his relatives in their native language
-italian...so i can communicate with my paternal grandma and her relatives in their native language
-japanese and mandarin...just because i'm part japanese (but only a few drops of japanese blood in me) and chinese as well
-scottish gaelic so i can speak to my cousins in the language they prefer

i already speak tagalog and english of course.

By Jblackboy05 (Jblackboy05) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 02:17 am: Edit

Ever since I started spanish I've liked it, i think studying a new language is sort of new tool that u can use in the real world. Its like now I can understand people conversations and successfully communicate..I think thats cool
but afterwards I like to learn:

1.Portuguese
2.Italian
3.Swahili
4.Hebrew
5.Mandarin
6.Russian
7.German
8. Japanese
9. Arabic
10. Malay, Tagalog, Cantoneese, Hindi, or French

By Manyzhka (Manyzhka) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

"Also, Russian...arguably the most expressive language in the world!
I love expression"

Wow - this is the first time I hear this about Russian. Why is it the most expressive? What do you mean exactly?

Also, Moojuice, somewhere up there mentioned "priviet". I would better say "privet", wihtout the "i" - sound in the middle.

Recently, I've heard a nice song about German:

"Mit Deutsch bin ich so global
Und so international,
Cool und individuel
Und so intellectuel"

LOL (P.s. - I'm sorry in advance for any spelling mistakes :)
It's funny that all the words are positively like the English ones, only you pronounce them differently:)

Auf wiedersehen:) (sp?)

By Skiowad (Skiowad) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

thats right manyzhka.

Arabic, ancient Hebrew, ancient greek, ancient arabic, korean, chinese, and aramaic

I'm probably gonna learn korean and chinese in college or grad school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page