Going to an out-of-state Private College, and Emancipation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: Going to an out-of-state Private College, and Emancipation
By Dahni (Dahni) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 02:08 am: Edit

I am currently a resident of Washington State and i am planning on going to a private college in California. The tuition is ferely high but if you look at it, its about the same amount as it would be if i was to go to any public university in CA. My question is, the college that i will be going to does NOT have dorms, but it has a special housing department that searches for appartments for you. If i were to get loans for school, would the loans cover my living expenses as well? What will it take for me to be completely emancipated from my parents? I am not planning on having an support from them when i move to CA because they are totally against it, but i dont see my self going to any other college. Also is anyone familiar with the law of being a resident in CA? Thanks.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, April 14, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

When your college costs are calculated, living expenses are included, so your loans/grants/work study does cover room and board allowance.

To be considered independent for financial aid purposes, you need to be 24 years old,or a parent, or a graduate student, or married.
If your parent claim you as a dependent on their taxes, it will pretty difficult to argue independence for financial aid.
On the other hand if they don't claim you and you support yourself, then you have more of a case.

as far as being a resident of a state re: instate tuition, that doesn't apply generally to private schools, and states generally require that the prospective student be a resident for a year before registering for school, thereby establishing that they did not move to the state for education purposes.
finaid.org has more info

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page