Merit Aid for 1350

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Merit Aid for 1350
By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

Are there any schools that assure students with a 1350 merit aid? Which ones give how much?

By Meganc123 (Meganc123) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Try this website!

http://www.guaranteed-scholarships.com/

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:56 am: Edit

Thank you! I knew I'd seen something like this somewhere.

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

What about for someone with a horrific class rank?

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

If there are extenuating circumstances re: your class rank, that would be helpful to you. Otherwise, getting merit aid will be a challenge. When our son was applying to colleges, most that gave "automatic" merit aid required top 10% in the class with a specific GPA and SAT scores above a certain mark. For example, at U of North Texas, an SAT score of 1200 with top 10% class rank would have yielded a $1000 scholarship AND instate tuition. Your class rank could present you with some problems as I would assume your GPA is equally "horrific". Any chance you will REALLY be showing significant improvement in your 11th and 12th grade years?

By L_J (L_J) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

do a google search with ......SAT combined 1300 scholarship.....you get lots of info

By Thekev (Thekev) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:54 pm: Edit

like my weighted GPa is 3.5 so horrific might be a stretch but class rank wise I'm probably like top 35%

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:05 am: Edit

All I can say is that your class rank IS important. So is your GPA. For many merit scholarships these are considered along with your SAT scores. At U of North Texas, our son met the GPA requirement, and the SAT requirement. His class rank in the 20%ish put him out of the running for their automatic merit awards. He did, however, receive a Presidential Scholarship of $4000 annually from Duquesne (no additional application), along with a $6000 music merit scholarship. He isn't attending there, but those were his awards. Individual school web sites will tell you what kinds of awards they give and what the criteria are. Good luck. And a 3.5 GPA isn't "horrific".

By Anxious_Mom (Anxious_Mom) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Actually, depending on the HS, a 35% rank may not be so horrific. If the HS is extremely competitive and high achieving, colleges may give less weight to the rank, knowing that students in the 20% and 30% may still have achieved more than students in top 10% at low-achieving schools.

Some well-known colleges, such as UCs, do not even look at rank, except for their "eligibility in the local context" admissions boost for students in the top 4% of their HS

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 06:01 pm: Edit

This is an interesting post. I have a 1340 and my rank is top 1% (5/804) and guess how much merit aid from NYU Stern? 0.

By Matth (Matth) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Cooljay, that's probably because you weren't in the top 10% of admitted students at Stern. They're the ones who get the merit scholarships there.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page