Good news for Byrd recipients on financial aid

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Good news for Byrd recipients on financial aid
By Aparent4 (Aparent4) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Am starting a new thread to be sure people see this. We just received the following note from the financial aid office: "Because federal regulations allow us to treat this award as part of the family contribution, we have not included it in your aid award. You may use it to pay a portion of your student bill." In other words, it's not nothing -- it's something! So...if you are a recipient, make sure they don't subtract it from your award package.

By Goneinfivemin (Goneinfivemin) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Ah but they allow it--not require it. So Stanford will still take it.

By Isacc (Isacc) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

still confused on when is school notified about byrd..is there anything we have to do..(from florida)
is there a list of recipients on line?

By Dolce (Dolce) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:26 pm: Edit

Here in Indiana, notification of Byrd winners has still not occurred. :(
My son's 1st semester payment is due in less than 2 week, and there are still 3 scholarships we're waiting to hear about. Sure would be nice to know sooner!

By Garland (Garland) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

Dolce: The Byrd Scholarship is not sent to the school till after the student actually sets foot on campus and is officially enrolled, which is, of course, after the bill is due. So don't count on it for the first semester.

By Dolce (Dolce) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info, Garland. Actually I talked with the fin/aid office at son's school last week, and she said that even though his bill is due Aug 10, if there are any other scholarships we know he is getting for certain, we can just attach a note and deduct that amount from what we pay. I was pleased to hear that---so I'm hoping to at least *hear* about the Byrd (and the others) before 8/10 so we can write the check accordingly. There's another scholarship that said we wouldn't hear until 8/31--gee, a little late--but I guess better late than never!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page