Merit based VS need based?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: Merit based VS need based?
By Icee (Icee) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Is it true that if you qualify for need-based aid, schools would generally award you a "grant" rather than an academic scholarship?

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Academic scholarships are generally strictly merit based without considering need. If you still have need in excess of the scholarship you might be given additional need-based grants, loans, or work study.

Our daughter received both academic scholarships and additonal need based grants from several colleges.

By Optimystic (Optimystic) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

We are feeling left out here. How "poor" does one have to be to get financial aid from NYU? I called the Financial Aid office and cried, begged and cajoled them into re-considering my daughter for financial aid and I received the fastest response than I had ever received from them up until that point. "NO". All my daughter received was merit based aid. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with NYU with regards to merit based scholarships and financial aid?

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, April 09, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I don't have specifics for NYU.
They don't meet 100% of need- state they meet 73%.
This could be grants, loans & workstudy.

My daughter applied to public schools which mostly offered subsidized loans or merit scholarships.
The private school that she is currently attending meets 100% of need and does not offer any merit aid.

If your daughter has competitive offers from other schools, I would perhaps mention it in the aid office, along with a letter explaining your financial circumstances.
Since they at least attempt to meet over half of proven need, I am wondering why she isn't offered more aid, although they may be counting the merit awards also

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page