Listing other awards in applications

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Listing other awards in applications
By Samueladams (Samueladams) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

When applying for a scholarship, especially one that takes into consideration financial need, there's always a section to list other awards. Here's my question: Do I list other awards where I've won money? Although it was an achievement getting them, if I show that I've won 20g+, even though I really need all this money for school, won't they be disinclined to give me another scholarship, especially when they're considering financial need? Or do I only list awards that are not money backed, but then seem like I've had less achievements?

By Ausmithe (Ausmithe) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

I think you should list the monetary awards also. You have to sign most applications and state that the information provided is accurate. It is dishonest to try to hide the other awards.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

you could list the awards, but leave out the money part. Like "Jiffy Mart Scholar", but leave out that you got x number of dollars.

By Imohnphaya (Imohnphaya) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

i left alllll my outside awards out. i was told by an advisor at my school that the school would decrease my grant money if i had any outside scholarships. And since i NEED both the school's grant money and my scholarships, i just left it out. If you put just the name and not the monetary value of the scholarship the school will inquire about the value of that scholarship for aid reduction purposes or just to know where you stand financially. So i would suggest either add em' or don't.

Ausmithe, welcome to the real world where people don't function on honesty 100% of the time.

By Ausmithe (Ausmithe) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Imohnphaya,
I think Samueladams is applying for outside scholarships not grant money at his school. My D applied for many scholarships; a number of them requested information about other awards and she listed what she had received honestly; she hoped that the students she was competing with would demonstrate the same morality -- after all, isn't "character" a component on which many of these awards are judged?

If, as you say, you "NEED" both the grant money and the scholarships, you should have indicated that to your school. They are aware of how much their tuition is and many schools now guarantee that they will meet any demonstrated financial "need." Additionally, many colleges now reduce your loan and work study instead of your grant in order to encourage students to obtain outside financial help.

By the way...I stumbled over the logic of your reply...you state that you chose not to report your scholarships to your school [college] so that they do not reduce your grant, but aren't the scholarships going to be sent there?

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:48 pm: Edit

i have a question. do almost all scholarships out there (merit/service-based) have the money sent directly to the school?

what if there's actually a surplus of scholarship money; would the school give you the money back (i doubt it)? or can i use it up for more credits or something?

excuse me if i sound like i have no idea what i'm talking about. i'm new to this thing. :)

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

It depends on the scholarship as where they send their money. Some of them have gotten "funny" about sending them to the school since they hate seein the money absorbed by the college instead of going to the student. However, depending on the award, it may be reported to your highschool, you may get a 1099 for it for tax purposes, it may get back to your college. So not reporting it is a risk.

Surplus money is also treated differently depending on the college. Some schools will generously let you keep it. Most will decrease your loan and work study amounts, until it the amounts hit your grant amounts, at which point, they will be reduced as well. In any case, amounts exceeding tuition and college expenses (not including room and board) are supposed to be reported on your tax return, and you may need to pay taxes on that. Room and board awards are not tax free.

By Esperanza (Esperanza) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page