I'm pretty sure this is a scam....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: I'm pretty sure this is a scam....
By Ginagee7 (Ginagee7) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Today I recieved an application for college aid in the mail. It's from some company called Education Assistance Council. Of course, right away I knew it sounded fishy by reading the letter attached to the application that basically said that by sumbitting the application to them, your info is placed in the "college aid registry--the nation's largest computer network of financial aid information with over 800,000 awards" (direct quote from the letter). Umm...isn't that what fastweb.com is? A computer database filled with scholarships. I've never even heard of the college aid registry before. Does it even exist? I always thought fastweb.com was the biggest database of scholarships out there.

Then I read the application, and at the very end of it, there is a processing fee. The required processing fee is $39.95. The optional update service is an extra $15.00, and Rush processing (also optional) is another $10.00. So obviously the Educational Assistance Council is all a bunch of crap.

Just wondering if anybody else has heard of this company or know any other names it goes by. The return address on the envelope they sent me is 701 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, 12th Floor Washington DC 20004-2607. That address stood out in my mind because a few years ago, I recieved an invitation to a seminar from another company (can't remember the name, but I know it wasn't educational assistance council. I think it had college in the name), and their address was in Washington DC on Pennsylvania Avenue too. So maybe it's the same fake company under a different name or something?

Also, the postmark on the envelope says "mailed from zip code 52401." Their other office is listed on the letter, and it's supposedly in Los Angeles. Is it weird that it was mailed from somewhere thats not even close to either of their offices? I dunno, it just seems a little strange.

Just thought I'd share. :)

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I've never heard of them, but I would say to anyone that they should never pay a processing fee to a company that claims to search for scholarships. Those most likely are scams, and who would want to pay for something that they can get for free (with just some effort involved).

By Sns22022 (Sns22022) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I got that. It's a scam. I tossed it right in the trash. College mail from LA...ha...

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

remeber "if its too good to be true than it pry is"

By Mikey13 (Mikey13) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:44 am: Edit

Definitly got it...twice...SCAM. "Application for College Aid", hmm thats funny, you didn't ask for my financial information....Yeah Right

By Mikey13 (Mikey13) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

To add, I read the fine print. THey "search" for scholarships and report back to you. For the low, low price of 49 bucks (or something else arbitrary), you can hear back in about 9 months, but for an additional $20, they'll send it back twice as quickly. Uh huh

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 09:49 am: Edit

Its Washigton address is a mail-forwarding address meaning any thing sent there gets resent to California. The organization also has used the name American Education Assitance Council and touts having a National Research & Processing Center (which is itself) and apparently now a "College Aid Registry" an apparent reference to its own database. It apparently does what it report it does -- send you lists of scholarships from a database -- which of course you can do through FastWeb or other free sources. Many have complained it is misleading -- mailing looks official, almost like from a government agency -- but apparently enforcement agencies have not acted to prevent it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page