Just so you know...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Just so you know...
By That_Girl (That_Girl) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

So, I got flamed in one thread for what I make per hour... In another thread, someone very poorly suggested that this girl "flip burgers" if necessary to pay for college. Needless to say, I was taken aback by this... Flipping burgers is fine, but I feel that all options should be presented when giving advice. [preferably from someon'e who's actually been down the same path] I feel sort of sorry for some people's ignorance, but I guess all I can do is try to advise other kids like me.

Here, I thought it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE that waitresses make their earnings in tips. Yah, that's about 20-25/hr. And no, that's not just where I work. You can make this much at just about any restaurant with either a dressed-up environment, or a high turn-over rate.

So, for all the poor kids that hafta pay their way through college: look into serving. It require no experience, no skills... You can get a job as a waitress with normal, 'people skills'; you can keep it by being a fast learner.

Everyone else, don't advise that people "flip burgers". You'll only make $9.25/hr at the most [that's at In-and-Out, by the way.]

The end.

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 07:04 am: Edit

>>Everyone else, don't advise that people "flip burgers". You'll only make $9.25/hr at the most [that's at In-and-Out, by the way.]>>

Making $9.25 an hour is MORE than making nothing. Sorry, I feel there is no job that should be "beneath" one who is complaining that they cannot meet their college expenses. My own college age child is washing dishes. I think he would prefer "flipping burgers". BUT he is grateful he has a job...and he has been working 35 hours a week doing this since the very day he returned from college. If the only job one can find is "flipping burgers" that is nothing to be ashamed of...at least it would allow that college student to contribute something toward college (spending money at least).

I agree that waitressing is an excellent job. I also think that EVERYONE should work in this position at some point in their lives as it gives you a much better appreciation for the work wait staff does. It's not an easy job.

Why do you think I shouldn't have suggested "flipping burgers"? It's a job!!! Nothing shameful about having a job.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:50 am: Edit

"Here, I thought it was COMMON KNOWLEDGE that waitresses make their earnings in tips. Yah, that's about 20-25/hr. And no, that's not just where I work. You can make this much at just about any restaurant with either a dressed-up environment, or a high turn-over rate."

Hmmm, maybe you should talk to the waiters and waitresses here. I do. There is no "common knowledge" that wait staff make around 20-25/hr. Yes, there are restaurants and bars where you can make this money, but those jobs really are rare. Most people I know have searched for those better paying jobs, but they've had to work at restaurants like Applebee's, Outback, Denny's, etc.

I pay my way through school. I work in accounting instead of waiting tables. One reason is the fact that when I was unemployed I couldn't get a job working tables. There just weren't any openings. Luckily I managed to find an entry-level position in accounting. This was when the economy was in better shape than it is now. Now a friend of mine has been looking for work and she hasn't been able to even find "burger flipping" jobs. The job market is tight, and it is very easy for someone to say just get a job waitressing.

I'm glad that you have such a well paying job. What everyone was trying to tell you though is that you are mistaken for believing that anyone who doesn't make that kind of money is "sad" and that you really should be grateful for the job you have. You felt that you were being flamed because people pointed this out to you. That's okay, you will figure it out on your own.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

Getting a serving job at an upscale restaraunt has always been a great revenue generator. My friend's D got an excellent career building job after college but the pay was ludicrously low, but it provided benefits and growth possibilties. She did take the job but also took a bar tending course and became a bar tender at a hot spot in a rocking city. She made more money tending bar than from her "real" job. It was with mixed feelings that she dropped bar tending a few years later as her job became too demanding and the pay increased just enough so she could barely eke by on that income alone.

By Nedad (Nedad) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

That_Girl - do you report **all** your tip income to the IRS?

By That_Girl (That_Girl) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:09 pm: Edit

nedad... lol. I had to chuckle at your use of asterisks. To answer your question, we *do* comply with all state and federal regulations regarding tips. Believe me, I'd be bringing in a lot more if it wasn't so strictly regulated... or if we didn't have to tip out.

By the way, I never said flipping burgers is a bad job. At one point or another, I've been your sandwich artist, your ice cream-scooper, your burger-flipper, your cashier, your accountant, your buyer, your customers sales rep, your babysitter... the list goes on. I was just saying that "having to contribute to college costs" doesn't have to equal flipping burgers. Other options should be suggested, if you're gonna help someone look for a job anyway.

demingy: I'm unclear on what you're saying... Are you saying that Denny's (etc) pay that much, or that people have had to work there before moving onto better paying restaurants? Anyway, I don't know how wait staff could make that much less than here, considering "standard tip" is 15%... *shrug*

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:05 am: Edit

I'm saying that I know people who have worked at lesser paying wait jobs for years and still don't make $20-25/hr.

Luckily you work where people pay "standard tip". There are a lot of people who don't, especially when you start working at the "cheaper" restaurants (the examples I gave). You obviously work at a nicer restaurant where there are a lot of people who understand what it means to tip well.

Also, if you work where the average meal is $7 (including drink) then 15% is $1.05. That is less than half of a 15% tip on a $20 meal ($3.00). One of my favorite waitresses has been supporting her two daughters (single mom) on an average of $12/hour and she's been working at waitressing for fifteen years. Not everyone is able to get in to the places that pay well, and you are very lucky to have that.

By That_Girl (That_Girl) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:23 pm: Edit

"You can make this much at just about any restaurant with either a dressed-up environment, or a high turn-over rate."

Sorry, I think I was unclear the second time. I would really consider Cenny's (etc) to be in this category. Yah, the average check's like 7-10 dollars, but people will still hang out forever, as if it were a fancy meal.

I know I'm lucky to have gotten this job, and I'm just suggesting that people tell other to look into it when offering advice. Most of the time, flipping burgers won't be your only option.

By Demingy (Demingy) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:19 pm: Edit

I understand what you are saying but I wanted to comment on this:

"Yah, the average check's like 7-10 dollars, but people will still hang out forever, as if it were a fancy meal."

Yep, they do tend to hang out forever, take up a table, and still don't tip well. That is even worse because you end up with one really bad tip on a table that you should have been able to turn around a few times. That is the type of environment at the restaurants that I mentioned.

But yes, you are correct that there are a lot of options to get a job. I think that when people mention flipping burgers, they are simply trying to point out that when it is almost impossible to find any work then one shouldn't be picky about what they do find--at least to get them by until they find something else.

Sorry, I didn't mean to run this off topic. Your OP has been addressed, so I won't keep nitpicking. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page