scholarships?!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: scholarships?!
By Jkabc (Jkabc) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 02:04 am: Edit

i am a junior next year, but i know nothing about how to apply scholarships for college. what's the different between the scholarships provided by fafsa and the ones provided by colleges?

By Voronwe (Voronwe) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

FAFSA does not provide any scholarships; it's a government form you need to fill out in order to apply for college scholarships (but not private scholarships - my kids have gotten many, many private scholarships but never filled out the FAFSA form).

By Needhelp06 (Needhelp06) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

what were some of the scholarships that they got voronwe?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 07:50 pm: Edit

My suggestion to you is to get a copy of the USNews&World Report Ultimate College Guide. In the front part of that book are lists. One of the lists is for colleges that offer the best financial aid and merit scholarships. That will give you a general idea of which schools are most likely to have money to give out. Many schools do not give merit scholarships, many schools do not meet 100% of financial need as calculated by federal methodology.

As I described in another post on this section, your first step in getting money is to fill out the FAFSA as many schools will not give you any financial aid without that form. Some merit awards required FAFSA as well. FAFSA comes up with a number which is your Expected Family Contribution, the EFC, which is what the federal government expects your family to pay towards college that year. The EFC also determines whether you are eligible for federal grants, loans and workstudy. The colleges where you have applied then add to this package according to how much money they have available and their total estimated average cost.

Now in addition to the financial aid process you may be eligible for some college scholarships depending on your profile. It is your responsibility to see what the colleges where you are applying have in the way of merit money and whether you need to apply separately for the awards and if they have deadlines independent of the application deadline. You may also look on "Fastweb" and other online scholarship sites for independent scholarships. Locally, you need to keep your ears and eyes open for scholarships. The local Rotary often has awards for example. Your highschool counselor should have some list of local scholarships available and info for state scholarships as well. If your highschool is skimpy on info, look at some catholic highschools near you for info; they tend to be well informed in scholarship matters.

Good luck in your search!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page