TRACK scholarships

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: TRACK scholarships
By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

Does anyone know any scholarships they offer for track athletes? And if so what qualifies you for it?

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Talk to the coach. Simple as that.

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

what do you do? im a triple jumper

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 01:25 pm: Edit

long, triple, 100, 200

By 3togo (3togo) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit

If you have not been contacted then as Nycneedhelp said talk to the coaches at the schools in which you are interest.

Track is a "minor" sport at most Div1 schools with only a few scholarships ... and these are often split among many athletes. To get one of these partial scholarships you probably need to be among the very best in your state. Placing in the state in meet will not be good enough (unless you're from a huge track state like CA or FL) ... you'll need to be one of the best 1-2-3 in your state across all size classes in your event.

I'm a math guy so here's another way of looking at it ... as a senior I was all all state miler ... sounds pretty good. There were 4 size classes in Maryland and 6 all-state guys in each class in each event ... add in 50 states and you get 1200 all-state milers across the US. So looking at 100-150 Div1 track programs very-very few of those "elite HS runners" are going to get scholarships (and since I was about #500 of those 1200 I was no where close). The pyramid is incredibly steep moving from HS to Div1 sports.

Div3 is a whole different story ... if you want to continue in your sport in a healthy sports environment (but no scholarships) then look into Div3 schools. At your current performance Div3 schools will not recruit you but may very well be interested in having you compete for them if you initiate the relationship.

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 01:42 am: Edit

whaoh, thats me too - i dont run a 100 whats your stats?

i got

200 - 23.5
LJ - 19'11½
TJ - 40 feet

TJ - 47 feet+ next year, im workin my ass off.

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

any comp?

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Saturday, June 26, 2004 - 02:03 pm: Edit

oh are you a girl? whoops that would probably make comparing our numbers useless.... my bad

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Yes I am a girl

LJ-17'
TJ-33'
100-13.0
200-27.0

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

My sprints aren't that impressive, but I can get a lot of height in the long. I'm capable of 18 feet, almost had 19 the other day at the special olympics but I fell on my butt

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

damn thats prety good for a girl i think i know someone who jumped like 15 and she was supposed to be really good.

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

You could probably get 44-46' by the end of your next season, towards championships if you work on:

bounding
hop-steps

And other workouts that would extend your step.
And for long, based on you 200 you could probably fly, maybe 21/22 if you worked on your form. Just a suggestion

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

well i finished last year at 32 feet - i was terriible-

ten last year during football i lost about 10 pounds and kinda got into shape a little, this made me insanely faster taking my 200 time from around 30 to a 23.5 -

unfortunatly no one ever taught me just how important speed was to triple jump so allll year i would trot up to the board and jump 35 feet, then one day i went allout to try to top some kid's jump of 34'6 on a tough day and i shocked myself with a 39 foot jump... in sectionals i ended up jumping 40 feet and taking 7th - crazily this was the first time i had scored in a meet.

anyways for next year i hope to jump over 47 feet to hopefully get noticed by some Ivys or at least D1. beleive me im doin alot of work already- good luck with long jump, it was my first love but i never could reallly clear 20 feet so im gonna focus on triple.

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

47 feet is a long way from where your jumping but good luck. The long jump is not something you can just suddenly do good on, it requires practice and a good amount of experience. sure, you can go and jump maybe 21 on your first try if your super fast but that doesn't mean your gonna get anywhere further without working on your form and landing. I know a guy than ran 11.0 for the 100 and didn't hit 23 feet until his senior year (he'd been working on long jump all 4 years)

I didn't autmatically hit 16 or 17 feet my first jump for long. it came after a lot of meets and practices. Not to be lecturng or anything, but I think if you gave the long jump another try and visisted a few websites and watched a few olympian long jumpers, you'd get an idea as to how its really done. You say that you haven't had pratice well maybe you coulkd self teach yourself.

What did you have in mind for colleges anyway since your hoping some ivies will look for you with a 47 jump?

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

Well my first choice, Illinois is a pretty nice reach for me anyways and i didnt really think i would ever get recruited by them.

I also love Cornell but it is also a reach for me-

My hope was that since my scores are CLOSE to Cornell quality scores and my Triple Jump hopefully will be CLOSE to D1 recruiting distance, they would kinda add it all up.

I dont know if any colleges so this but i dont really want a scholarship for track, but i would like possibly a little help with admissions.... you know what i mean? Do you know if this happens ever in college admissions?

By Monoe (Monoe) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I run the 1600 in 5:36...anything going (For D3)?

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

You have to be between 4-4:40 for the 1600 to even be noticed

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Well, I know someone who got a full-ride for four years to Columbia to run track and cross-country. When I say "full-ride," I don't just mean tuition--he also got full room and board. In addition, he won several private and local athletic scholarships. I don't know if they will deduct these from his "full-ride" money. If not, he actually comes out ahead.

He is white, his gpa was over a 3.6 weighted, but not a strong A, and he never scored out of the low 1100 range on his SATI. Don't know if he will be able to hold his own academically against brainier types who got into Columbia, but he is a hard worker.

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Columbia does not give athletic scholarships only need based financial aid. While I am not disputing that someone you know got a full ride, in the end it just was not for track.

This person will get finacial aid based on his parents income. Cost of attendance - EFC = need.

His aid package most likely also had a self help component (the money that he would raise over the summer toward his cost of attendance and a student loan. This amount could have been offset by the outside scholarships.)

Any remaining money from his outside scholarships would be used to reduct the Columbia scholarship as they do not allow you to double dip. And this my dear is closer to the real story.

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Sorry, Sybbie--I am intimately aware of this young man's scholarship. It is a full-ride track scholarship. This was not a hearsay story. Columbia's track coach began recruiting him at the beginning of the year. He invited him to visit Columbia (fully-paid for by Columbia), which he did. He stayed with a team member, was wined and dined by the coach, practiced with the team and had just a little time to sightsee.

All negotiations regarding the finances to go to Columbia were negotiated through this young man and the track coach. They were on the phone to each other almost daily for awhile. The offer would be close to full-ride (defined here as full tuition, room, and board--plus), and the young man would state that it would be enough and sure enough within a couple of days the offer would go up. I added the plus to my definition because he is receiving the total amount listed as the cost of attending Columbia for a year, which I believe includes books, transportation, and incidental costs. The scholarship is a lock for 4 years provided he continues to compete for the school. There are no loans in the offer.

This is in no way a need scholarship. The young man has a sibling attending UCSD, his mother works full-time in a professional position, and they own a nice home. The boy's father died when he was young. At that time, they were living in a million dollar mansion in the Bay Area. Both boys receive social security due to the father's death. The family was not left in a needy situation.

As I stated before, he would not have gotten into Columbia based on his low SAT scores, though his gpa was adequate, but not a solid in.

He is not working this summer. There goes your theory about the self-help component. He went off to spend time with his brother in San Diego and is back home now. Hasn't worked at all.

His outside scholarships have not reduced his aid from Columbia.

So, I don't know if Columbia states they don't give out athletic scholarships or where you're getting your info. It would certainly be a surprise to this young man who HAS received an athletic scholarship. Maybe Columbia lies and puts on paper that these are need-based scholarships--that certainly wouldn't be impressive either. Then again, it is easy to work a story anyway one wants to make it look, and I put nothing past colleges to do such things. I'm sure many who post here could tell tales of colleges that do exactly that.

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Sybbie, since I want to be absolutely factual here, I made an inquiry after typing my last post. Columbia is calling it an "athletic grant" rather than an "athletic scholarship. My feeling on that is as follows:

Susie: Can I have a bite of your apple?
Johnny: It's a Granny Smith.
Susie: Isn't that an apple?
Johnny: At my house we call them Granny Smiths.
Susie: Oh, I get it. May I have a bite of
your "Granny Smith"?

It's an apple; it's a scholarship. It is all semantics. Whatever. They do this to fit how they want their stats to look.

Also, he did not receive any loans, and the grant was for $36,000 out of the $41,000 Columbia estimates for 2004-2005 total costs. His outside scholarships make up for the gap, and they are not being deducted from the "grant" nor does he have to give up the amount that exceeds the total costs, rather he is coming out ahead. There was also no stipulation for self-help such as summer work or work-study during the school year.

By Sybbie719 (Sybbie719) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 07:41 am: Edit

Congratulations on this student's achievement, money is money no matter how he got it.

These are their words not mine which can be found at

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/admissions/faq/finaid.php#65

Does Columbia offer scholarships and if so, how many?
Columbia College and the undergraduate division of The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science provide need-based financial aid to students, awarding grants, loans, and on-campus work study jobs to applicants on the basis of their familyís financial circumstances. There is no limit on the number of students who receive need-based financial aid. Each application is considered individually.

Does Columbia offer merit scholarships?
No. There are no academic, athletic, or talent-based institutional scholarships. Our students are often the recipients of merit-based scholarships from outside organizations (state grants/scholarships, local/national merit-based awards, etc.); however, no merit-based aid is offered directly from Columbia University.

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Well, it might just be that semantics is the way they cover this up. It is a "grant" not a "scholarship."

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Hey pezza, have you been watching the trials for the olympics...gotta love Melvin Lister

By Pezza0 (Pezza0) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

nah i havent had time

By 3togo (3togo) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 04:20 pm: Edit

> Well, it might just be that semantics is the way they cover this up. It is a "grant" not a "scholarship."

hmm ... as mentioned a bunch of times in this forum the IVY league is at the core an athletic conference. All the institutions have an agreement about how they will treat athletics.

Recruiting for the IVY league allows mail, phone calls, and a campus visit, and the other communications you described. (less than ubersports conferences like the Big-10 and the Pac-10).

If Columbia tried to sneak kids though like this they have violated the rules of the IVY league and I would hope they get caught and punished. One of the fundamental premises that the IVY league is built upon is that all aid is need based ... and they share information about their recruited athletes with the league to ensure compliance to the rules. (The IVY league also has agreements beyond sports such as all aid for the schools is supposed to be need based).

I do not doubt that the need based aid formulas are tweaked around the edges for some super candidates whether their special skill is sports, athletics, or some other skill. However, blatently breaking the rules should (and hopefully would) get punished. Frankly, I doubt any IVY league school would push their luck on a track athlete ... if they would I'd think it would be for a major sport like football or basketball (said by a track guy).

From the outside I'd guess there is more about this situation then we know so that Columbia can easily defend it's need based aid to this athlete.

By Bkozy (Bkozy) on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

What does the guy going to Columbia run and what were his times?

By Concerneddad (Concerneddad) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 10:38 am: Edit

Columbia's atheltic department is severely ethically challenged.

By Norcalmom (Norcalmom) on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

3togo, I only know what I know. Who knows how they have made this situation look "on the books." All I know is that he hasn't worked this summer or ever--not exactly the sign of a need-based kid. Sounds like Concerneddad may know more about this.

Bkozy, I'm going to have to check his times because it is somethng I just can't ever remember. Seems like he was trying to make under a 4 min. something and has always come very close. I will ask the one who knows and find out for you.

There was only one other college heavily recruiting him, and he was very interested in them.

By Kinglin2 (Kinglin2) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:56 pm: Edit

We were talking about track stats earlier so I figured I would just show you guys what I got.

mile 4:27
5k 16:34
10k 35:09

By Clearwater (Clearwater) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

A good mile time is usuaully in the low 4's

By Kinglin2 (Kinglin2) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 08:46 pm: Edit

Yes I know:-( and thats why i didnt get a scholarship. Its a good time prob only top 10% of high school runners make that time but still isnt good enough, and I have to agree, its not enough. If you want a track scholarship place top in state, like top 5.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:59 am: Edit

If you can get your picture on dyestat.com you can get a scholarship...

By 3togo (3togo) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 08:56 am: Edit

Kinglin - you're right 4:27 will not get you a scholarship ... but you could be a solid runner at a lot of Division III schools. If you are interested in any DIII schools I'd suggest you contact their cross-country and track coaches ... I believe they will show a lot of interest.

By Kinglin2 (Kinglin2) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

So could that could get me get into a DIII school like wustl? Cause I was looking at their 5k times and mine was better then their teams best runner, and that was my junior year time. I have good grades but not good enough for how competive wustl is, so could this be my way of getting in?

By 3togo (3togo) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:36 pm: Edit

I think it could be a big help ... you have a major hook ... enough to get you in places that otherwise might be a real reach. I recommend you initialize contact ... in my experience (a while ago) DIII schools did not initiate contact but once I contacted them they were quite interested and helpful. Without looking up results I would think your times would look good to virtually all DIII track programs.

By Kinglin2 (Kinglin2) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Wustl has a rectuiting form online, should I fill that out, and then they will let me know from there?

By 3togo (3togo) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

that should do the trick ... my experience years ago was that initially the coaches were looking for a rough fit on academics and athletics (and I would think the on-line form would provide that) ... and then if things look promising then a lot more communication will occur.

In my case (in the days before e-mail) I mostly received general information by mail and only got phone calls from a few places. Both sides did some sorting ... some schools never got back to me again ... while, after doing some research, I stopped communicating with some schools (issues around location, majors offered, selectivity, etc)

Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page