Papa Johns ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Papa Johns ?
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Anyone won this one yet?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:16 pm: Edit

My older son won it locally a few years ago. One thing to keep in mind: It is one of those rare scholarships in which it is actually an advantage not to have top grades.

Unlike many scholarship committees that are looking for valedictorians, straight A students, NHS members, Brain Bowl prize winners, etc., Papa Johns is looking for character. Based on the students who won from my city, the Papa Johns scholarship committees seem to value the students who do things like overcome adversity by working jobs or otherwise creating opportunities for themselves.

I think that they take pride in supporting kids who have been marching to their own drummers to meet their career goals and nonintellectual passions.

It's cool the way they announce the winners. They arrange with the school to deliver pizzas to a class that the winner is in. In one pizza box is a mock-up of the scholarship check.

One important thing that they don't tell the winners: In December of their freshmen year, all of the winners get a letter from Papa Johns saying that if they had a "B" average fall semester, they will get another scholarship. I think it was another $1 k one, but I don't remember because my son was having such a great time pursuing his nonacademic interests that he didn't qualify.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Thats what I was afraid of...
I kinda figured it was not an advantage to have great grades.
Anyway do you recall when they let him know?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

The let him know in May. It was probably the second week in May or so because the reception Papa Johns held for all of the seniors in our city who won their scholarship was the last week in May.

Papa Johns is one of the rare scholarship programs in which it is not an advantage to have top grades. I am sure that your D is eligible for many opportunities that my S had no chance of getting.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit

Hmmm I thought they only gave out one per city or county or something.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

On the average, in the cities where they provide scholarships, they provide a scholarship to one out of every 2 high schools in the city.

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

I'm a senior in high school in a suburban town. I've worked at PPJ since July 2003, and am involved in countless solid ECs. How do I apply for this scholarship? Chances of getting one?

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:25 am: Edit

I dont know if employees are eligible..but we found the scholarship online. They tend to give it to kids who may not have the best grades but are write good strong essays on values, family etc.
My D. has a really high GPA and the counselor said that wouldnt help.
Anyway we never heard a word from them. I would hope they would send a note that we didnt win. She spent a lot of time on it.

By Kevin720 (Kevin720) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Angstridden--Thanks for the response. What's the website of the PPJ scholarship?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Angst...,
The scholarships are sponsored by local Papa Johns franchises, and I don't know if they bother to send notes to students who don't get it.

Based on what happened in my area, it should be very obvious to students if they aren't chosen. Papa Johns ran TV ads showing the winning students getting their scholarships via pizza parties at their school. THey also gave the tapes to the winners at the pizza party held for winners and their families.

I think it's important to realize that students aren't going to get every scholarship that they apply for, and many do not send rejection letters.

As your D's GC said, your D's sky high gpa would count against her for this particular scholarship because they try to highlight students with average grades and extraordinary nonacademic achievements or personal characteristics. The sponsors seem to go out of their way to highlight teens who are not at the top of their class but who do have other good things going for them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page