Home schooled! How do I get one?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Home schooled! How do I get one?
By Flipflops (Flipflops) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

I'm home schooled, along with my other five siblings. My parents can't afford to send me to a really good college, and they say a student loan is a curse. How can I get a scholarship? Are there some sites or something where I can go to learn more?
Thanx >^-^<

By Faithy1 (Faithy1) on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

there are hundreds if not thousands of sites, but try fastweb.com to get started. The public library is another source that you will find helpful.

By Vadad (Vadad) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

The vast majority of scholarships, large and small, are given out by the schools to which you are applying. Sometimes it is based solely on your application, sometimes there is a special application, sometimes there are interviews. Many are academic-based, many are talent-based. It varies all over the map. Check the websites of every school that you're interested in. Also, some of them will have pretty good general information on the financial aid process. There are some threads here that you can search for that identify schools that give substantial scholarships just for being a National Merit Finalist (don't blow off the PSAT as a "practice test"; real dollars could be involved).

It is also possible that you will qualify for substantial need-based grants, too. Even some public schools (UNC, UVA) now have pledged to meet the full "need" (watch out for this term; almost certainly your definition of "need" will not be theirs) of students with certain family circumstances without loans. You should apply; you'll never know if you don't apply.

There are some good articles and threads on this website that explain the financial aid process. Also you may want to take a look at finaid.org. Do lots of research on this early in the process and you'll be able to come up with a strategy that works for you.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

There are also public schools that are very good. Often state schools have scholarships meant to keep good students in state and these usually go by economic need, scores and stats.
What state are you in?

By Flipflops (Flipflops) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Ohio.
Wow! You guys really spent some time on me, thanks! I feel special.

By Ohmadre (Ohmadre) on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Where in Ohio? If near the Greater Cleveland area, there is definitely a great source you can consult.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page