Summer Jobs = Worthless?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Summer Jobs = Worthless?
By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Is a summer job worthless because the $$ you get from it will have to reported on your FAFSA next year and then you'll recieve less grant money from your college next year anyway?

By Thumper1 (Thumper1) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Oh please...having a summer job is a good thing. It not only earns you some money, but it shows a level of responsibility also. In addition, colleges assume that students WILL contribute themselves towards their college educations. If you earn enough to offset your aid that is a GOOD thing, not a bad one. It is not likely that you will earn enough to significantly affect your finaid.

By Nycneedhelp (Nycneedhelp) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Say I'm getting a grant package of $15,000 now from my college.

I get a summer job, make $1,500.

Might it be possible that next year's package contains $13,500?

By Mark2kay (Mark2kay) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

YES

By Avadad (Avadad) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:45 am: Edit

No, most schools assume that you work and support yourself a little. Check your schools aid calculator. My daughter's assumes she will make $1200 and has to contribute that much each year.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:23 am: Edit

Virtually all colleges assume that you will contribute $1,000 to $1,500 from summer employment every year, and that cost is reflected in your EFC. Not working will not change your EFC a hair.( plus make you look like a Richard)

By Unmatchedsocks (Unmatchedsocks) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Yeah, I am wondering the same thing.

I may get a job this summer, but I will be spending the money on private music lessons and saving for study abroad.

Smith has already given me work study as part of my package, and I don't have any expected student contribution as until now I have not been allowed to have a job.

If I do get a summer job, will I end up having to cough all the money up to Smith?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page