Gates Millennium Scholars Finalists

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: May 2004 - Archive: Gates Millennium Scholars Finalists
By Itsallcool (Itsallcool) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:02 pm: Edit

Did anyone got the Finalist notification letter?
Three kids from my area got the finalist area.

By Banana1119 (Banana1119) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Wait the finalist information is out already, where do you live? Did 3 people in your area get the info already if so when?

By Itsallcool (Itsallcool) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 01:40 pm: Edit

yesterday, i live in the east

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

i got mine too.

NYC

By Punchy (Punchy) on Sunday, March 28, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

oh geeze i hope i get one. im in CT. they send out letters to those who dont make it too right?

what are everyone's stats.

rsxman, are you going to nyu? i think i saw you posting in there before.

By Itsallcool (Itsallcool) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 05:40 am: Edit

I don't think it is based stats and test scores. I think it is more on the entire "big picture."

the people who got it in my area are all very different in number from a 930 SAT Score to a 1550. And i tell you both of this kids are amazingly dedicated. So it is not the numbers but the person inside that they see.
Good luck to all

By Punchy (Punchy) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 01:55 pm: Edit

yeah, you're right about stats.

wah i didnt get anything in the mail today either ;( i guess i didnt get it

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

hey punchy,

yep, NYU class of '08!

what about u?

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 08:25 pm: Edit

only 1000 people will get it. i'm wondering how many people applied.

By Banana1119 (Banana1119) on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

o.k. so a friend of mine got to the "second-phase" which probably means she got the scholarship, she just needs to prove that everything she said in the application is true. It is weird to, because the teacher who recommender her also got a notification of my friend's status. Anyone elses recommmender get a letter?

By Derelict (Derelict) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

well i got a letter today....a letter informing me that i was not a finalist...don't know what happened..my guidance couselor said i would be shoe in

By Punchy (Punchy) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

well i didnt get any letter yet.

rsxman, yep im in nyu class of '08, thats why i need this scholarship hehe

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 08:30 pm: Edit

werd.

I hope we get the scholarship, it'd be so great.

Are you CAS? How much aid did you get from NYU?

By Punchy (Punchy) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

CAS.

I got a package for about 16,000 a year, only a 6500 scholarship for the year, my EFC was about 3500, so i have A LOT to pay.

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Ahh I see. Your EFC is high, which may explain those amounts. My EFC was lower and I got a bit more.

13k in scholarship and the rest are grants and loans.

Let's hope we get this!

By Punchy (Punchy) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

i thought my efc was pretty low, my financial aid package hardly covers even half of the schools costs. i knew the package would be scarce, but not this bad!

i actually screwed up on my estimated fafsa, so hopefully the adjustments i made will be reflected in my final financial aid package. im corssing my fingers!! ill be happy with a 20,000 financial aid total package.

By Calimom (Calimom) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I called GMS today to find out the status of notifications to applicants. The rep said that letters have gone out to people who will not be receiving the award, and only some of the letters have been sent to those being considered as finalists. She said they are still going through applications, in random order, so if you haven't received a letter yet, don't despair. They have until May to notify you.

By Punchy (Punchy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:43 pm: Edit

HOOORAAH. i was worried because i didnt get a letter. i havent been able to get ahold of anyone. my email didnt get through and that toll free number is worthless. hopefully this means good things!

By Punchy (Punchy) on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

oh and a question about the award. like, does it cover full tuition for everyone? how does it work? how large are the awards?

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Its weird, I don't know for sure how it works but here is what they ask for on the information form.

Total scholarship + total self help = Total Aid

Total Tuition - Total Aid = NEED.

And basically NEED is thing item the form is trying to calculate. I believe that whatever NEED comes out to, that will be the amount you get. Please take note that "total self help" includes stuff like the stafford loans. So essentially, your still going to have to go out to make loans.

I'm not totally sure if this is how it works. But something tells me that you won't be covered for everything. The GMS will provide basically everything you get in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans minus from the total cost of tuition.

In my case, total scholarship + self help = 28k

total tuition = 30k.

Unmet need = 2k.

And like what GMS says, its only unmet need that they'll provide. Right? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Alright, I'm almost 100% sure that thats what they do.

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 07:15 pm: Edit

Has anybody submitted the Finalist form and hear back from them?

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

not me

By Dali17 (Dali17) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I submitted all the necessary documents and they said that they are going to mail out a response on May 14th. Good Luck everyone!

By Blackivyleaguer (Blackivyleaguer) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Good luck everyone!! I'll be sure to tell you how it all went.

By Blackivyleaguer (Blackivyleaguer) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Anyone hear back yet? I'm still waiting... =(

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 07:17 pm: Edit

HOw many people received that finalist letteR?

I don't think all that many did...

By Mango5419 (Mango5419) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:36 am: Edit

I called the main number and entered my data for potential scholars and it would not work. However, when I entered my data in the scholar category, I was able to access information. I believe this means that I'm a scholar. Try it!

By Blackivyleaguer (Blackivyleaguer) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Yeah, it worked for me too! But are you sure that's what it means...

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

yep it worked for me too!

you had to enter you ss# and then your birth date. I did that and I got the prompt "welcome scholar"

I guess thats it right!?

By Mango5419 (Mango5419) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

I received my award letter today!!! Did anyone else get their letter! Wow--this is something special.

By Rsxman (Rsxman) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Congrats,

Just wondering, is the awards amount only the "unmet need" amount? Or do they give you extra?

Thanks.

By Blackivyleaguer (Blackivyleaguer) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

HA!

Yeah, so a few days ago the social security number thing and birthdate code worked for me, too. But yesterday I got a letter in the mail saying that I wasn't selected as a GMS scholar. Sooo that was weird! The phone thing just means that you made it to the final round, I guess.

Now, I reeeeeeeeeeeally need Jackie Rob.!!!! It's my last shot, guys!!! Good luck to all!

By Mango5419 (Mango5419) on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 07:36 pm: Edit

It's ironic that I received the Gates Millennium Scholarship, but did not receive he Jackie Robinson's scholarship.

The amount you receive depends on what your college indicated was needed--I'm going to Columbia and they picked up my work study, loans and my share of cost.

Blackivyleaquer--My prayers are with you, man!

By Mimi (Mimi) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 09:58 pm: Edit

My friend won it. She's one of the valedictorians. I'm really proud of her. :) BTW, what is it though? Sounds nice. :D

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page