How do you answer this?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: How do you answer this?
By Delfin (Delfin) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

In 200 words or less, briefly describe why you are applying for this scholarship.

Some of the things I was planning on adding to my response:

-i want to major in pharmacy, i'll have to go out-of-state for that, which will be expensive...
-mother is a single parent and will have 2 kids in college when I enter...
-the honor and self-fulfillment in being awarded a scholarship...

Are these good points? does anyone have any suggestions?

By Delfin (Delfin) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Delfin (Delfin) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

bump

By Dolce (Dolce) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 09:23 am: Edit

Well, I see you've had no responses to this so far. I'll admit those "why are you applying for this scholarship" questions seem kind of dumb----DUH--I need the money!! That's the obvious of course, but I think that rather than mentioning money or finances at all, just focus on things like your 3rd point, as well as your reasons for wanting to attend college, study your major, etc. You could talk about the doors that winning such a scholarship would open, which is a more tactful way of saying it would make college more affordable for you.

By Delfin (Delfin) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

thanks so much, dolce! i'm definitely taking your advice. if anyone has anything else to add, please do.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page