Is the FAFSA ABSOLUTELY necessary???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: Is the FAFSA ABSOLUTELY necessary???
By Oliverland (Oliverland) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 03:38 am: Edit

Well, my father and I procrastinated way too much and we missed the deadline for the FAFSA. So, we're stuck with about 3 weeks until classes start. We haven't gotten a report on how much we will need to pay for the tuition n such. But, is the FAFSA really necessary? My college isn't that expensive as the other schools. It's far less cheaper than the other schools i applied to. Reason for all this is because we applied last minute. I recieved my admissions letter last week, and we're scrambling to get things done. So will i be able to do without FAFSA? for a semester or two?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 08:27 am: Edit

It's doubtful you would get much, if any, financial aid without having completed a FAFSA. How long you can go on like that.... is up to you.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

yeah man, the fafsa is NOT optional if you need any kind of aid. My school told me that the earlier it gets processed the more aid you get-my mom had it ready by the first week in January. Maybe the school will give you some loans for the first year so that you aren't stuck paying the whole tab out of pocket. If nothing else, company's like Citibank have educational low interest loans that you can apply for and the let you know instantly if you qualify. You should look into other loans sources as soon as possible. Good luck.

By Dearabbey3 (Dearabbey3) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

You will get NO AID if you don't fill out a Fafsa. The reason for filling one out is that it enables colleges to determine how much or how little aid they will give you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page