Financial aid

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: Financial aid
By Forgetmenot (Forgetmenot) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

both my parents earn together more than 100 thousand a year, but they say they will only be able to afford UC's or colleges up to about 21,000 a year. The thing is that I am cabable of getting into ivy league schools. I went on some scholarship websites, but is there anything I can do to come up with the extra money? How much can financial aid help?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Despite their high incomes, if you see any private colleges that are good fits, I would apply and then see what the financial aid packages are. There are some surprises...in both directions, even at that high income, their burden might not be higher than sending you to a UC.

Good luck.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Actually, dear, you need to concentrate on merit aid, as in scholarships. If your parents can contribute around $20,000 a year, you should consider yourself very fortunate. You very likely won't qualify for financial aid per se, as in need-based. Make sure the colleges on your dream list offer merit aid and work like heck or be prepared to take on all or part of an $80,000+ loan upon graduation.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear. We are in similar (well slightly worse) circumstances. :)

By Forgetmenot (Forgetmenot) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

thanks...
any other suggestions?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page