Strange case

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Financial Aid and Scholarships: April - August 2003 Archive: Strange case
By Nealp (Nealp) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 02:04 am: Edit

my family is middle/uppermiddle class with a income a little above six digits and we live in a fairly low case of living area (kansas). however, large losses in the stock market (which i hear one can only account for on tax forms at 3,000 maximum), 10 months unemployment in the last 4 years, and a temporary (2 year) seperation of parents due to a bad job situation (different jobs, different states) has led us to have a very high expense of living (b/c two residences, two bills for everything etc). Will colleges consider this or will they flat out reject since my review.com efc is 60,000+ a year? Please help. Also, how can I go about getting outside scholarships (not super prestigous siemens, intel, discover 20,000 etc)? Where can I look for small scholarships of 1000 - 5000? ALso, what school in the top 25 provides exceptional merit based financial aid? thanks!

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

You can write this information in section q i think on fafsa (i'm not sure if it's q, but there's a blank section for additional information). And if you really think you need the aid but the college's not offering it, talk about it with the finaid officers. get an early review in february so when you visit the colleges you can go to their finaid offices.

scholarship wise, go for the local ones (ask counselors). The national ones are just way too hard to get for most of us *_*

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Friday, June 27, 2003 - 11:55 pm: Edit

I don't think you're going to get enough to pay for more than half. Sorry you're put at a lower standard of living by college, but there are single parent families that can barely afford to eat who need it more.

If you want merit scholarships, apply to a second tier school.

Top 25 won't give em unless you're an athlete or scored over 1550 on the SATs, it seems.

By Nealp (Nealp) on Saturday, June 28, 2003 - 12:14 am: Edit

paying for half would be great! 40,000 a year at the ivy's is impossible right now, but 20,000 a year is quite possible.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page