How good do you have to be for Harvard Sports?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: How good do you have to be for Harvard Sports?
By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I've gotta some questions...How good are most recruited athletes? How do you become a recruited athlete? Just by contacting a coach or what? How many do they recruit each year and what percentage of the recruited ones actually get accepted??

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

For some sports (basketball, baseball/softball, football) i.e. the popular ones you don't have to be that good, probably like all-state in a medium state like Oregon or South Carolina. For crew or hockey, for example, you have to be at the top nationally because Harvard has competetive teams in those sports. If you are a highly desireable player for an important sport (either one that H is good at or draws a lot of attention like basketball or crew) they WANT to accept you, if they don't find any glaring flaws they will. For other sports that aren't as important (wrestling, badminton, ping-pong) it's just considered a very good extracurricular.

By Mehere (Mehere) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

wow.. so you are saying if someone who wants to play table tennis at harvard, there is no point in contacting the coach since they dont really care about their team?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

No, the coach will be able to get in touch with the admissions officers to recommend you. They'll be able to say that you'll add to the team, blah blah blah. But the admissions officers aren't going to assign as much importance to the recommendation. They're not going to let you in with 1250 and 3.5 like they might with a star quarterback.

By Jj111111 (Jj111111) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

wat about track and field

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 09:47 am: Edit

Will the coach actually come and watch you?

By Psedrish_Md (Psedrish_Md) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

Yes, you need to be very good to make the team for a major sport. Recruiting in the Ivy (Athletic) Conference is tightly regulated.
See this link for starters:

http://www.hsbaseballweb.com/ivy_admission_bar.htm

By Justice (Justice) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

qwerty you seem a bit misinformed about Ivy sports. Recruiting is still extremely high-level at Ivies even though they might not stand up to the top-notch sports schools in the major sports. Ivys generally have more D1s than most schools in the country and its athletes are quite strong in comparison to the national profile. I doubt just all-state (without being stand-out) would guarantee your spot as a competitive recruit at most of the Ivies. When a school like Yale or Harvard recruits at MOST 30 or so football players (and football being the biggest sport population-wise), you know you have to be quite good. I often laugh to myself when I see a post on the "What are my chances" forum that's like, "Applying to Ivies...Varsity football-4yrs, probably recruited." You can't just play at high school all four years and then think the elite sports schools in the country will run to your door and court you.

Just from what I've heard, if you are a great table tennis/badminton/etc player, definitely get in touch with the coach and mention that particular coach as a reason for you to come (note: this only works if you are actually good enough to play).

There are exceptions, but MOST recruits get in if they are the top ones. When I did crew a couple years ago, the coach said the first day: "you know, there are a couple ways crew can help you: it can get you in shape, and it can get you into your dream college." It's not uncommon for my school's entire crew team to go Ivy League. If you are an outstanding all-around athlete (statistically), such as a 6'3 XC athlete or swimmer, they may also show interest because they can easily convert a top athlete to lightweight crew.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

Justice: I specifically stated that crew was one of the sports where the players are highly desireable, also because those people tend to go to the prep schools and have good grades. Yes, the Ivies have the most D1 sports and yes they are better than the national average. But think about how many say, basketball players, are recruited nationally for schools that are better in basketball. You have 4*80 or so schools that are better than all of the Ivies (last year only Pton made it to the tourney and thats because they got a free bid as winner of the Ivy conference) = 320 of the top basketball players every year going to nonIvies. I estimated they recruit about 4 new players each year. For football the ivies aren't even D1. For other sports (the ones that don't make as much money or draw much attention), yes you certainly have to be at the top of your game to be heavily recruited. Like pingpong. if you're the top pingpong player in the northeast you'll be recruited and the standards will be lowered for you. But they're not going to let you in by the standards they would for a top level money sport.

For football, there are about 80 D1 teams that are highprofile and much better than any Ivy. So, they recruit 8*80 = 640 of the top students. The Ivies have little chance at any of these players, especially since 98% of them score lower than 1250 or so (my estimation). So, yes, you do need to be in the top 10 or so recruits from your state in a mediocre state.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

what sport are you interested in? and numerically, the lowest they can go is ~2.8/1100/550 SAT2s, the average is about a 3.4/1270/600, and they'll like you a little more if your a top 10 percent/1400 sat type. Its pretty hard to get recruited for males, easier for females with title 9, but it really varies by sport.

By Thereishope (Thereishope) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 11:09 pm: Edit

i want to play table tennis and swim for harvard. maybe not at an intercollege level, but like lower intramurals.. any chances u think? how do i qualify?

By Cooldude (Cooldude) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

I doubt they even have a coach for Table Tennis

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I don't think you have to qualify for intramural sports but does that just make you look less competitive though?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

sdrawkcab drofnats taht si ,80drofnats

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page