Recommended Foreign Language Preparation

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Recommended Foreign Language Preparation
By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I have taken 3 years of French already (2 in high school) and was planning to take it all four years but I couldn't take it last year because it did not fit in my schedule. I want to take it senior year but it conflicted with Stats AP. Should I continue French or take Stats AP instead? I want to major in something science/eng related and I already know my native language as well as I know English...but I don't want to quit French either. What should I do?

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

bump

By Tero771 (Tero771) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 10:51 am: Edit

I am in a similar position. I also took three years of French (2 in high school). I decided to stop taking French so I could fit in a couple of AP science and math classes by the end of high school. This way, I will have taken bio, chem, physics, and calculus (and stats if it fits). I decided to do this since I am going into science and French is already my fourth language. If you are interested in science or engineering I would recommend AP Stats.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

I tested out of the foreign language requirement with 2 SAT II's scores but I've heard the language classes are just great and will continue w/ French and hopefully another non-Romance language.

That's me though. I LOVE foreign languages.

If you know you'll be into the sciences then I'd try my hardest to fulfill the requirement (although I REALLY encourage to take language courses). You'll need a 5 in an AP language exam or a 600 or above on an SAT II. Like I said, seriously, language classes @ H are pretty cool, and even the science kids I've talked to have really enjoyed them. The choice is ultimately yours.

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

I already have enough space for AP bio, chem and physics as well as AP calc bc and diff eq, so I think I'm going to take French 4. I guess I can always self-study stats AP right?

I already have an 800 on an SAT II...but it's on my native language which isn't considered a foreign language though..

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

No it is. Yah, definitely self-study for AP stats (although with that schedule you don't need to It's awesome that you want to.) Continue with French and see if you can get a good score on that one too. So you ARE looking to fulfill the language requirement beforehand, right? Are you doing EA?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Well, you've already fulfilled it. :)

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Friday, August 13, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Yeah :-) that's the good part of having another language as your native one. I don't think I will apply Early Action but I'm def applying. What about you?

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Yah, I did EA (and it worked :)) If H is definitely your first choice, I HIGHLY recommend you apply early. Have you started drafting essays? By this time last year I had rough ideas and asked some friends to look over them. BTW, the weirder+ more creative the better. I wrote one of mine in a stream-of-conciousness style and I think it may have a played a small role. :)
If you have anymore questions let me know!
P.S- What other schools are you looking at?

By Manchu_Princess (Manchu_Princess) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

thanks Serdu, I'm actually in a dilema about all this EA stuff. I'm considering Harvard, MIT, and Stanford as my top choices. And I'm almost done with one essay who know if it's good. Will you email me at manchu_princess@yahoo.com?? Maybe you can give me advice!

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Absolutely!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page