What's in a name? (Prestige)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: What's in a name? (Prestige)
By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Clich¨¦ title, but anyways, is name really that big?

My parents, being Asian, really want me to apply EA for Harvard, and as much as I like the school, I don't know if I should do that or try EA/ED somewhere else. Other schools (like Duke) are ranked higher for undergraduate studies and are easier to get into, but of course no school can beat Harvard's name.

Recommendations, thoughts? Since this is the Harvard board, I know some opinions will be biased, but I'd like to read them.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Oh jeez...more prestige threads. Scroll down and you'll find a million, though they usually tend to focus on which school is more prestigious than the next.
My personal opinion is that, once you've attained a certain level of prestige, it doesn't matter at all. Yes, there's a difference between the prestige of UCSC and Harvard (which are the two extremes to which I'll be applying), but between Duke and Harvard? The prestige gap between those schools isn't worth spending four years at a school you like less, it really isn't.
So basically...go for what you want most and what will make you happy. If you're happy at a school, you'll probably do better there--get better grades, be more extracurricularly involved, the whole bit--and that'll help you get into grad school/get a job/whatever a LOT more than the "Harvard" on your diploma would.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Try to convince your parents that H isn't the only place with great academics and prestige. Apply where you think you'd be happy, not where your parents want you to. This in all likelyhood may be H, but don't do it just for them. Make sure you're applying because YOU want to be there.

HTH

Yes, please enough with the prestige threads.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page