HARVARD, THIS IS IT!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: HARVARD, THIS IS IT!
By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

My friend is too lazy to post her stats, but I am doing it for her.She will be a junior this year,and attends a very competitive school (top 3 in the state)
GPA: 3.97
PSAT: 73 M/70 V/ 69 W (212 total) as a sophomore

She took all honors classes possible: Honors Geometry in her freshman year, and Honors Algebra II and Honors Biology in her sophomore year. She took Honors Spanish I and II and there are no honor classes for other subjects
She will take AP United States History and another Ap course online. She had scheduling conflicts, and she was also told by her counselor that she was taking a heavy load of hard classes (especially honors classes)-so she cant take another ap course

EC
Class President of Sophomores
National Youth Leadership Forum on Medicine(11)
*Habitat for Humanity(10)
*Amnesty International (10)
*Club Youth Extending Service (9-10)
Future Problem Solving (9-10)
Math Team (10)
Quiz Bowl (9)
Speech (9)

* indicates a leadership position.
Habitat for Humanity- President (in 10th grade)
Amnesty International- Co-founder and Vice-President
Club Youth Extending Service- Advisory Board/Organizator/Chair (10th grade)

AWARDS/HONORS
NYFL'S Certification of Achievement
President's Award for Student Service (volunteering for more than 100 hours)
Future Problem Solving-State Champion (2002-2003)
Future Problem Solving-Honorable Mention (2003-2004)
1st in Sections in Storytelling
A Venture Scholar
A member of the National Society of High School Scholars
4th place in Math Regional Competition (hey, last time, she was in 6th place- she is making a progress)

Community Service: 200+ hours including tutoring the elementary students, adopt-a-highway and hospital

SAT I: March 2005 (2300+)
SAT II: Math IIC, Biology M and Chemistry this Oct, Nov and maybe Jan

It is way too soon to tell, but what do you think?

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

If she is too lazy to post her stats, maybe everyone on CC should be too lazy to give her advice.

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

lol

By Smartgirl (Smartgirl) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:37 am: Edit

I am wondering...who do you think would be a better applicant: my friend or me ("I know it is WAY too soon, but...)?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 09:13 am: Edit

I think that you are far too concerned about your friend's stats. You are not competing only against your friend, but against about 20,000 other stellar students. Make sure your own application is as good as possible. Apply to safety and good match schools, too, and then let the chips fall where they may.

As for who's the better applicant, my guess is your friend because she's probably concentrating on herself and her application during the time that you're spending obsessing about her.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Monday, August 09, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

hahahah... kinda mean... but also kinda funny

isn't it a bit premature to assume that your friend is going to get a 2300+ ? if anything, round down~

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page