How genuine is Harvard being when they say...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: How genuine is Harvard being when they say...
By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

I was reading an article about family income and how it affects admissions. The article quoted a part of Harvard's new financial aid initiatives:

"Harvard's initiative calls for “re-emphasizing … the policy of taking note of applicants who have remarkable accomplishments despite limited resources at home or in their local communities.”"

Do they really look at a student's income and consider it along with their application? This would be a blessing to a prospective student with a family income between 30 and 35k. I really respect the move of their initiatives, no matter if it helps me get in or not.

By Pierson4life (Pierson4life) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

They are genuine because succeeding in a lower-income environment shows the strength of your intellect and character.

Let's say your resumes and achievements are on par with 10 other applicants, all are the same ethnicity and from the same georgraphical area. However, their annual family incomes range from $60,000-$400,000. Your family only earns $35,000. You are the likeliest to be admitted out of this group because you were able to reach your achievements with much less financial freedom than the other 10 students. Harvard would surely believe that you are truly smart, not trained, because higher-income families can afford SAT preparation courses, college counseling, expensive leadership conferences and tutoring - factors that a family like yours would not be able to spend money on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page