On-campus interview <-- please help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: On-campus interview <-- please help
By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

hey guys,
im going to boston on wed. for my on-campus interview, which is on thurs. at harvard (my second or third choice school behind the huntsman program and wharton undergrad at penn and possibly yale - dunno yet).....ill bring my resume, ill dress well (w/out overdressing)....ill read some general information on harvard (especially the stuff pertaining to my interests academically, extra-curricularly, and socially)......ill prolly look at some common college interview questions, but those are the only things i can think of doing (other than taking the tour that morning)....what wouold YOU (ppl who have done harvard interviews) specifically advise me to do (think abt/look up/bring/etc.)....
thank you sooo much for your quick responses and advice!!
leo

*btw, im one of the most outgoing uhh smart people out there, so interviews and personal relations have NEVER been a problem for me, but i still want to come in to this interview as prepared as i can possibly be

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

come on guys....im sure you are bursting with advice....just give me a sentence or two....i appreciate it a lot!

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

You'll do fine I did my on campus interview last summer and it really didn't feel like an interview. You just talk with the person. You might talk about politics, current events, etc. For example she asked me about something I put on my resume and this lead to a discussion about immmigration reform and such. It didn't feel like an interview it felt more like a conversation with an intelligent and outgoing person.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

who picks the topics? What if I want to talk about things that I'm interested or well-versed in... will the interviewer ask me suddenly about current events or politics?

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

i just talked to a few friends and they all said that as the interviewer was going through their resumes, something of interest to the interviewer jumped out....and they talked about this common interest for almost the whole time

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

how much time does the interview take (approximately)?

By Newyorker06 (Newyorker06) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

If you're as intelligent and outgoing as you claim, a pre-interview script will only hinder the quality of your dialogue.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

i didnt want a script lol...i just wanted to know in general how formal they were gonna be or wat type of questions they would ask (i understand that it would be diff for me anyway, i jus wanted to get a feel for what goes on).....i jus had the interviews at harvard and yale...they were awesome, i actually enjoyed them....and both of them were totally diff.....one with a person from the adcommittee, another with a senior student....one was about me, the other was about the state of the nation...only thing both had in common is that they exceeded the time alotted for the interview by a lot....

By Netmet (Netmet) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

How easy was it to schedule an interview? for example, if i called today, could I get one in a couple of weeks?

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Friday, August 06, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

You can schedule interviews for Yale on their website...for Harvard you have to call...you'll probably have to wait a for a couple of months at best.

By Justlaugh (Justlaugh) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

So we are suppose to bring a resume into these interviews? Anything else?

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:19 am: Edit

well...the person that interviewed me didnt want the resume until wen i was leaving....i offered it to her in the beginning, but gave her a way out if she didnt want it....so she didnt even use it for me

By Pentheselia (Pentheselia) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 11:17 am: Edit

I have to question how much these interviews count. My interviewer loved me, seriously told me she wanted to adopt me, that I was as good as in, I was a perfect fit, that she wished there were more like me... flat rejection.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

"I have to question how much these interviews count. My interviewer loved me, seriously told me she wanted to adopt me, that I was as good as in, I was a perfect fit, that she wished there were more like me... flat rejection."

Wow.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page