Middle of nowhere (- APs)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Middle of nowhere (- APs)
By Applesatyr (Applesatyr) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

I live in a small town in Canada, literally "in the middle of nowhere". The problem I'm facing, (especially after reading some excellent stats) is that my school only offers, beginning my senior year (sept 2004)and second semester only one AP class. (This is the first time an AP class has been introduced).
Read it, and hear me weep. ONE.
It is biology, and I have actually taken the grade twelve bio class before; but decided to sign up for this course because I enjoy biology, a challenging class, and it is a potential university credit.
I will be taking the SAT I in early Oct/ early Nov, and the SAT II tests soon after.
I am most likely ranked in the top 1% of my school (not that hard to achieve, unfourtunately), I have ECs ranging from several sports to music nad soon volunteering, but I would like to know if 1)the fact that APs were not offered will hurt my chances, if I apply.
and 2) If this is a factor that Ivy league school look at when accepting foreign (Canada and outside US) students.

(If a query like this one has already been posted, I am sorry for repeating it ----> and could any repliers please direct me to that post?)

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Try to do independent studies for AP exams or something to that effect to show that you're willing to challenge yourself. My school offered 3 APs, and in addition to those three, I took an online class, an independent study Euro History, and two classes at the nearby University of State my senior year. Harvard doesn't mind that your school offers little, but it's important that you challenge yourself.

By Applesatyr (Applesatyr) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Thank you very much for your input. I have looked around at programs offered around the province, and found that another high school and centres in another city provide AP/IB courses. Also, I think you can ask to “challenge” some exams without taking the course – so I will ask for those I can study on my own (physics, etc.) (which was what I was going to do in AP Biology, but leaving a year in between the original class and the exam is not a bright idea).

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Seriously, if you could SOMEHOW move to another school that has AP/IBs...Go there! (Besides, I think it shows your love for learning..lol) That's what i did. I moved from a sub-par school with no APs to a full IB school...all because i wanted to get ahead...HTH=)

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 07:41 am: Edit

The fact that APs were not offered will not hurt your chances. Harvard and similar schools expect students to take full advantage of whatever academic opportunities were available at their school.

The fact that you come from a small, remote area will help your chances. Harvard gets an overabundance of applicants from large cities and from well appointed prep schools and public schools. It's more difficult to attract applicants from your kind of environment, and since Harvard wants all kinds of diversity, people from schools and communities like yours are highly desired.

This is, I think, particularly true of universities in the US that are in large urban areas.

BTW, I am an alumni interviewer for Harvard.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page