Biological Anthropology and Psychology?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Biological Anthropology and Psychology?
By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

I'm most likely going to be a sophomore transfer applicant. Does anyone have any information(besides the website of course) about the biological anthropology concentration? How many students are in it? Is it a popular concentration(i noticed that the website said that many pre-meds do it b/c courses include genetics, bio, etc.). I've finally found what I'd like to study, and it's basically only offered at Harvard at the top schools(i go to Georgetown and they don't have bioanthro). Also, does Harvard allow double majors/concentrations? I'm still interested in my original major, psychology. Would it be possible to do both? I already have 2 psych courses out of the way(Intro to Psych and Abnormal Psych) and didn't start yet, so hopefully that would be able to lighten the overall load. If not, I'd most likely just major in one or the other and take a few courses in the other. Any info would be helpful.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 10:43 am: Edit

ooh *bump*... i really want someone to answer this question too-

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Double majoring at Harvard is called
"joint concentration." There are a couple important rules about joint concentrations:

(1) You have to do the honors track in BOTH
concentrations (In most concentrations, the regular track is 12 half-courses, the honors track is 16 half-courses, 2 of which are for the senior thesis). Some courses can count for both concentrations, so often the total is much less than 32.
(2) Your senior thesis HAS TO TIE BOTH concentrations together in some significant way.

As you can see, in actual practice, you can only do a joint concentration in two closely related fields... otherwise you could never fit in all the courses, and you couldn't tie them together in a thesis.

Question: Can you tie together biological anthro and psychology together? I definitely think its possible...

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:10 pm: Edit

number 1 isnt true - its not like u have to take 32 classes to simply fulfill the two majors

the HONORS component is basically just the fact that u have to write the joint thesis

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Hstudent...
Thanks for the correction.

For the original poster:
Here are requirements for the joint concentration with psychology:

http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/psych/ug/02.joint.html

If psychology is the primary field, you have to take 11 half-courses in psychology. If psychology is the secondary field, then you have to take 7 half-courses in psycholoy.

Here are the requirements for anthropology:
http://www.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/handbooks/student/chapter3/anthropology.html

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 06:52 pm: Edit

ok thanks for the info, definitely helpful.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page