The most important questions in life (philosophy)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: The most important questions in life (philosophy)
By Physiclas87 (Physiclas87) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

I thought I'd post this message on Harvard's board because I am guessing people who post have good minds.

Have you ever thought about what was the meaning of life?

Here is my answer: don't look for it, because you will never, ever find it.

what is yours?

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit

I've come to think that there is no meaning of life. The way I think about, life is just an aspect of our being, just a projection of ourselves onto the world and onto the rest of society. Therefore it's not important enough to deserve it's own unique meaning.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

id save this for drunk dorm room talk...

or sober if you want THAT type of clarity

By Multinational (Multinational) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 10:50 am: Edit

For me, the meaning of life is: Make positive contributions to humanity.

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

I think it's absurd and intrinsically devoid of meaning, but because our existence isn't contingent on whether or not our lives have meaning, we might as well make the most of what we have.

By Joe124 (Joe124) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Descartes put it nicely when he said, "Cogito ergo sum," "I think, therefore I am." This proves our "existence" and therefore our only obligation is simply to BE and whatever one makes of this BEING lends its meaning. Meaning is a subjective phenomenon and not a universally objective fact.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:53 pm: Edit

I used to think about this a ton--agonize over it, even. Lots of pretentious adolescent philosophizing went on, and I came up with the simplest thing ever....

Life really is absurd. I don't think it has a meaning, I don't think it has a larger purpose, and *especially* not one that will extend to all humanity. So live it as best you can. Be happy. All that good stuff.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 12:55 pm: Edit

I disagree entropicgirl, by stating life carries absurd meaning, so is the existence of life and all bodies who possess them inside. This implies your very existence is devoid of meaning, and hence so is your post existence. Thus your post shalt carry no intention and serve no purpose since it has no meaning, and this obviously contradicts its existence.

The meaning of life is the reflection of human souls' desire expressed directly or not, verbally or not, individually or not, and framed in their beginning through their end. :)

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

-raises eyebrows-

Then I guess there's no reason for me to reply to your post, is there?

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Hahaha I'm just joking entropic girl

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:21 pm: Edit

So was I :)

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Aristotle said the meaning of life was simply happiness...and I think I'm okay with that.

I think his main point was that finding a more specific answer than that is hard, because people are so varied in what they think is right and wrong and important and irrelevant that you can't do it.

Just do what you like doing.

I'm down

By Physiclas87 (Physiclas87) on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Ok, here is the next question, actually a statement, but feel free to answer the first one....

Ignorance is bliss. True or False?

Here's my answer: Absolutely true, it's kind of a stupid statement to argue about, because it is 100% true. Our knowledge is our own doom.

By Sraid7777 (Sraid7777) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

of course ignorance is bliss.

and life is absurd. Anyother Camus and Beckett fans out there?

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

Now let me answer indirectly due to the difficulty to formulate without the wrong parts being dropped one by one. You said ignorance is a bliss, now shall you ignore your college application and say it is bliss upon rejection from the school. Shall we take another step and state that you ignore the rejection is another bliss which will open another door for yet another rejection, thus you shall walk through deprecation of rejection of your life with the mask of ignorance you term bliss. Such devastation will imminently bring forth the end of one life's journey, and yet to cover it under ignorance would imply that ignorance shall inevitably bring the end of life. But shall you agree with me that life is bliss? Hence the claim that ignorance is bliss contradicts the claim the life is bliss. Which shall you prefer? :)

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

Rtk: Aaaand this is why I'm no longer thinking of majoring in philosophy. Too much cleverness, not enough depth. But anyway, as I'm sure you know, ignorance was meant to indicate the lack of education and knowledge, not the act of deferring a necessary task--because in your answer, as the applicant is ultimately rejected, they must have at least filled out the application, hm? Therefore, what you were discussing could more accurately be termed 'procrastination' than 'ignorance'.

Sraid: I'll bet everyone who used the word 'absurd' (including me) is at least a Camus fan. On the Beckett front, I've only read Waiting for Godot, but Molloy is sitting across the room, staring at me. So possibly (someday soon), once I have become more acquainted with other Beckett works, I will be able to call myself a Beckett fan. But it feels like cheating if all I've read is Waiting for Godot.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:52 am: Edit

Entropicgirl,

hahaha, of course philosophy is mostly useless, and no way I want to major in it (I major in Elect. Engineering)
Btw, my definition of 'ignorance' above is quite wide and includes procrastination. Now what is procrastination? Delaying your responsibility right? but we can also say that procrastination is ignorance to your schedule and responsibility :)

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Rtkysg: No, procrastination is a conscious choice to put something off--not ignorance. In your example, the kid did end up getting rejected, therefore he did apply, therefore he was just procrastinating and not ignorant of the process.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 02:05 pm: Edit

he's not ignorant of the process but he's ignorant on the dateline or the procedure of application, isn't he?

By Framoin (Framoin) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I find that there is no meaning of life but rather a reason of living. If one does not have something to die for, what is his reason of living? Of course I have answered nothing but that's just the best way I could put things... ;-)

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Saturday, July 31, 2004 - 10:06 pm: Edit

I think there is a purpose but we just don't know. Because we don't know where and how life formed in the first place

By Alesik (Alesik) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 12:29 am: Edit

By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 02:30 am: Edit

I think the meaning of life is to find God. Every marvelous thing takes you to the creator.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page