"Harvard Recruitment Program"

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: "Harvard Recruitment Program"
By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

So. I received this email from the "Harvard Recruitment Program." Included is one sentence:

"We are an undergraduate group dedicated to recruiting talented students from all backgrounds. As current Harvard students, we welcome your questions and look forward to sharing our experiences with you."

Now I'm sure some 100,000 kids get this email. Okay. Maybe that's a *teeny* bit of melodrama.

My real question is: has anyone ever heard of this before? I searched online and couldn't find anything. Maybe this is new; maybe internal.

Just wondering. At first I though it might have been a hoax, lol.

Oh well. Thanks in advance to those who respond!

By Albertfermat (Albertfermat) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I got it too. I don't know what it means. All those who know about this and what it means in terms of admission please respond. Also, all those who received it post.

By Caramelkisses06 (Caramelkisses06) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:08 pm: Edit

I received the same email last year and also received a few postcards in the mail from the same group. They emphasized that they were in no way affiliated with the admissions office, and that their main purpose was to generate minority interest in Harvard and to encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to the school. They aren't evaluating you in any way, from what I could tell and was told. It's purely for informational purposes.

If anyone wants to know, I was accepted into the class of 2008, but that was strictly an admissions office decision, and none of the other people at my school who received the same postcard/email and attended the information session at our school were accepted, just to put things in perspective.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 06:24 pm: Edit

ooh, thanks. I got that e-mail too and was wondering about it.

By Zantedeschia (Zantedeschia) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Did anyone get a call home?
I got a message from them and I never solicited anything from Harvard.

By Minerva (Minerva) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Yeah I got a call. I didn't talk to them tho b/c I'm not really interested in Harvard.

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Sunday, August 01, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I received an e-mail also but I'm not a minority.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I got an email, I'm not a URM, but I come from a low income family. "All backgrounds" might refer to race and lifestyle. I wish they WERE affiliated with the adcom.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Wednesday, August 04, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I also got a phone call from them. How many kids do they call, and does it mean anything?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page