Worth applying early?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Worth applying early?
By Atownstomp (Atownstomp) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

Looking at the EA thread, I have noticed that I seem to be on the lower end of prospective candidates as far as my stats, which makes me wonder whether I would be wasting the only chance I have to get the "bounce" by applying early somewhere. here is a brief look at my stats:
1430 SAT (760V 670M); 32 ACT
only SAT2 so far is Writing (760)
major: probably poli sci, maybe economics or international relations
Eagle Scout, President of NHS, Student Council Secretary, Varsity Football, Marching Band, Citywide Model Legislature Senate Majority Leader, a few leadership awards/scholarships, Harvard Book Award, hopefully National Merit Semifinalist but at least commended
ranked 8/323, 3.98uw
basically all honors but my school only offers 2 APs, both of which I will take. It is a public school in rural Minnesota, and I can only think of one other kid in the past 5 years who went to an Ivy (princeton)

H is my first choice. Should I go for it, or should I try somewhere like Brown? Also, I thought I read on Harvard's App that their single choice policy doesn't apply to public schools. Is this true? Thank you all for your time.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

If it's your first choice, work realllllllly hard on the application and just go for it (this is assuming that you get your other two SAT II's in and decent, etc. etc.) Your stats won't be super-impressive, but they won't keep you out either, so then you've just got to craft a really compelling application with the EC's and the essays and all.
Good luck!

By Julians (Julians) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 02:01 pm: Edit

It's a quandry, no doubt about it. Do some soul-searching.

Basically, I see your situation as follows. If you apply early to H you have a slight chance of admittance. If you apply regular you have almost no chance. Let's say you pick a second choice school with ED (Princeton, for example) Your ED chances there are better, but you lose the option of going to Harvard. So are you the sort of person that would gamble (apply to 1st choice with slim chance and the understanding that you will probably end up at a school that is 3rd choice or lower) or the sort to play it safe (apply to 2nd choice with good odds of getting in, but lose the chance to attend your 1st choice.)

Also you might want to evaluate why you want Harvard in particular (is it the name?) And determine if there is another similar school that you would have better chances at.

By Leely888 (Leely888) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

I thought for Harvard Early Action is not an advantage like Early decision though.

By Atownstomp (Atownstomp) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:06 am: Edit

yes julians you've pretty much stated the argument i'm turning around in my mind. However, I still think applying ED to Princeton with my SATs would be a fairly big longshot. I guess I would want to have maybe a 50% shot or better at getting in if I were to apply ED to a second-choice school. I'm visiting H, Yale, Brown, and Amherst in a couple of weeks, so I will have a better idea if harvard is my clear #1 after that. I am also considering applying ED to Georgetown, since i'll have all the facets of the federal government and political structure right there for me. To me, it's all about getting the absolute best education possible, for my own sake-and my career's- and I guess right now that is what Harvard represents for me.

Any other help would be appreciated. thanks

By Julians (Julians) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

Georgetown has EA, so there wouldn't be much of an advantage. I really think your best shot (seriously around 60%) would be Amherst ED... I don't think they get as many students with your skills as the other schools on your list, and you would have a better chance playing sports (if you want to.) If you like Amherst all right, I would say go there early, great education.

By Monoe (Monoe) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

His chances at Amherst ED would not be 60%. They are not that much lower than Harvard on the selectivity and academic quality scale. Different, because of their size, yes, but not very much lower. ED at Amherst doubles one's chances; but one's chances were only 18% to begin with. Only count on 60% if you can write a serious essay and prepare a thoughtful application.

By Julians (Julians) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

The "typical" applicant's chances would not be 60%, but I think this particular applicant's chances would be around there, for a variety of reasons.

Every applicant's chances are different, but for Amherst, I think an Eagle Scout-Varsity Football-rural Minn.-ED applicant would be a rarity (and hence, his chances would be good.) Harvard gets so many outstanding, interesting candidates that this one wouldn't stand out nearly as much, if only because of sheer volume of applicants.

By Chatterjoy87 (Chatterjoy87) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Is it harder to get into Harvard applying EA? Since all the strongest applicants do? And then being waitlisted means standing little chance the second time around, right? Or were these rumors incorrect?

Also, do people usually apply to all three HYP or just two or just one of the three?

By Julians (Julians) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

No one really knows. It is impossible to accurately stratigize you EA/ED app, since you can't know for sure the qualifications of every other person applying.

Many people apply to all three.

I will probably just apply to the one I like the best, and apply early.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page