Future Harvard "home dawg"?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Future Harvard "home dawg"?
By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

yo, im a rising junior and i wanted to know if i can get in here. Assume my sat's are high and stuff, ill make sure of that. none of that "o cant tell until u take ur test blah blah blah"

Cumulative GPA:
*Unweighted – 3.6
*Weighted – 5.2

Standarized Tests:
SAT 1 – taking the new 2005 one (assume i get about a 2300 or 2400, somewhere there)
SAT 2 – taking bio M and mat2c in oct (prob near an 800 for math and middle 700's for bio)

Academics:
Currently Taken- (middle school-10th): 5 APs, 10 honors, 3 Regulars
Future- 10th summer: 1 AP, 4 honors, 1 regular
11th: 6 APs, and 2 APs online over 11th summer
12th: 4 to 6 APs and lab internship for two or more periods

By graduation:
Unweighted: 3.7ish
Weighted: 6.9ish

EC: 450+ Community Service hours, Job at a convenient store from 8th grade summer to 10th grade, Internships with a CPA, a teacher, a Physician, Aeronautical Engineer, and Optometrist, I also tutor math and science after school, may do research this summer

Clubs: Debate Club, Chess Club, FBLA, Spanish Club/honor society, TSA/SECME, National Forensic Society, Geography Club, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, English Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Science Honor Society, Social Studies Honor Society.

Positions: Math Honor Society Vice President, Mu Alpha Theta Vice President, National Honor Society Administrator, tried to start a Fencing club but it’s too “violent”

Sports: Captain of Basketball Youth Group Team, Captain of Football Youth Group Team, Badminton, Bowling, Fencing.

Awards: Won a lot of calculus competitions, science fairs, got American legion, AP scholar stuff, got National Honor Roll every year…etc stuff like that
Umm…I think this is about it, what else can I do to improve myself? Am I pretty well rounded yet? Do I have a chance at top colleges and ivies? Please input

[sorry admin]

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

anybody?

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

o cant tell until u take ur test blah blah blah

P.S. Stop posting this dung on every board.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Thursday, July 22, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

anybody else?

By Huskyboy (Huskyboy) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

national honor roll is a joke (so i am told)

By Huskyboy (Huskyboy) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 01:03 am: Edit

national honor roll is a joke (so i am told)

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 12:44 pm: Edit

yeh i know that, but w.e., any more comment?

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

By Effyoo2 (Effyoo2) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Meh.

It's too bad about that fencing club.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 07:29 pm: Edit

What are your AP scores?

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 09:19 pm: Edit

calc ab- 4 (i dont know how tf i got a 4, i so thought this was a 5)

bio- 3 (did like 16 chapters out of 55, so i guess ok but i wanted a 4)

world- 3 (did absolutely nothing all year, read 1/4 of barrons review and got this)

By K0w (K0w) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:30 am: Edit

ap = crap
gpa = not good enough. average admission is around 3.9 unweighted

man im getting tired of reading this stuff too even though im a junior too.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:19 pm: Edit

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 04:02 pm: Edit

You have a chance. Not a huge chance, but a chance. I definitely wouldn't count on it though. That GPA is far too low.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

yeh thats what i thought but i figured it could be excused due to me have taken like 19 aps by the time i graduate

By Asterix (Asterix) on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

But you did a mediocre job on them.

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 08:57 am: Edit

yeah about that, think about it would you choose someone that has 6-8 AP's all with 4-5 with a 3.9-4.0 or some one with 19AP's with 3-4. with a 3.5-3.8???
Because of your scores those AP's dont give the impression you thought they would.

By Lurker2 (Lurker2) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

"Assume my sat's are high and stuff, ill make sure of that. none of that "o cant tell until u take ur test blah blah blah""

ROFLMAO. like you assured your grades and AP scores would be high...

yo, successful harvard applicants can take many AP tests AND do well on them. try Penn or Duke. you may have some chance there.

By Lurker2 (Lurker2) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

to potentially keep you from repeatedly posting the same inane message on these boards in the future, perhaps i can quantify your odds:

Chances that pigs will fly = 0.01%
Chances of your admission to Harvard = 0.0001%
Chances that you are a weirdo = 99.9%

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

lol ok

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

booomp

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

u shouldnt get in just for calling urself a " 'home dawg' "

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 07:22 pm: Edit

wow! ur definately crazy smart

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

i hope you were joking about the 6.9 GPA... even if every single one of your classes was an AP class, the highest GPA you could get would be a 5.3 (not 'you' as an individual... 'you' as anybody).

It's also true about the APs... it's much better to take less APs and do well in them than max yourself out and do mediore... I'll only have taken 10 by the time I graduate (I personally think that 10 is fine... it's just that it's about 1/2 of the projected APs that you'll be taking). How are your grades in the AP classes? If they are also mediocre, they will reflect what kind of effort you put into your classes; if they are great, then colleges will probably decide that your school's AP classes were way too easy.

By Tipdrillin4eva (Tipdrillin4eva) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

"wow! ur DEFINATELY crazy smart" - miamidude

nuff said...

By Mcz (Mcz) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Why do you keep posting the same information? By the way, few people who go to Harvard use terms like "home dawg" or statements like "yeh thats what i thought but i figured it could be excused due to me have taken like 19 aps by the time i graduate". Do you have any grammar skills? The idea of having a 6.9 GPA is ludicrous. By the way, it seems a bit peculiar that you keep changing your credentials each time you post under a different topic. You have absolutely no chance of admission to Harvard or any Ivy League school for that matter. Why don't you consider a county college?

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

u guys who say a 6.9 gpa is impossible are idiots. weighted GPA goes by counties or states or something. Down here you take ur unweighted GPA and add your extra honors points to your unweighted to get ur weighted. The way u get ur extra points are by summing your AP and honors points; 2 for ap, 1 for honors. You add them all up, divide by 15 and you get a number and thats the number you are adding to your unweighted.

By Mcz (Mcz) on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Need I say anymore? Exactly why it seems ridiculous that you could even believe you could get into Harvard! I would love to hear your Harvard interview!

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 03:29 am: Edit

buddy your 15 years old. Stop talking liek your some bad ass hs senior or went to harvard....

By Brzrk (Brzrk) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

For future reference, try to avoid starting sentences with "yo".

Also, "you're" means "you are" and "your" is possessive (ie. This is your chair).

Good luck with that.

By Justlaugh (Justlaugh) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Stop being so mean to each other, people. It's embarrassing.

Miamidude, you have a good chance. Your leadership and community service areas are very strong, and you have a rigorous curriculum. Don't worry about your AP scores.

Study for your SATs, work on your essays, and ignore others' doubts about your achieving your dream. Be confident. Good luck.

By Ella05 (Ella05) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I'm in love with Justlaugh! Well, except that she's a girl. Yay for those who fight the forces of darkness! Go Miamidude! (although I have to admit that "homedawg" is not my favorite word ;-)

By Mcz (Mcz) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Miamidude (Johnny),
Your use of vocabulary, being so limited in your messages, makes people think that everything that you say is a joke. I think everyone should know that you have already posted this same thread earlier on, utilizing proper grammar. I believe some of your information was also different from what you posted here. Be honest. How many people with a 6.9 GPA use such uncouth, vulgar grammar? How many people have a 6.9 GPA? I find it highly unlikely that if one had such amazing stats, he or she would ask if he or she had a chance of getting into any of the Ivy League Universities. The answer, quite simply stated, is no. Ivy League Universities look for confidence in their applicants. Obviously, one does not have much confidence if he finds it essential to post here, while knowing he had such excellent grades and ECs. Your lack of confidence, Johnny, as well as your poor grammatical skills, will be seen and heard by the interviewer at your Harvard interview, and you will not be accepted. You also show your weakness by calling people such terms as "idiot". It is more funny than intimidating.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, August 11, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

If you want a useful response, I suggest that you not use terms such as "home dawg" in your subject.

I don't know your race, but even black Harvard alums like myself don't use such terms to refer to themselves. The term doesn't look cool. It just looks stupid on a board about college admissions.

By Miamidude (Miamidude) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

lol, i used "home dawg" to attract attention because i knew that most people in this room would go "wtf?" amd may even read it. Thanks for responses by the way. oh and brzrk, im too lazy to type "you are" or "you're". ive noticed people be able to get away with "your", so i figured why not....

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, August 14, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Miamidude: But did "home dawg" get you the kind of attention that you wanted?

And how would you feel if an adcom or your Harvard interviewer were to see your message?

Incidentally, one of the people whom I have interviewed as an alumni interviewer for Harvard was a person whom I had seen posting on CC. In fact, I met the person on CC, though to my knowledge, the person never realized that.

Another time, a person posted their stats, and I realized the person (who also was applying to Harvard) was a student who went to school with my own child.

Just think about it....

By Knightmare (Knightmare) on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 03:46 am: Edit

hahahahaha

Miamidude, you seem like any other Harvard applicant. Try to crack out amazing essays and hope for the best.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page