Scholarships?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Scholarships?
By Mmhome (Mmhome) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 08:47 am: Edit

Could someone clear this up for me please? It is my understanding that Harvard does not award academic scholarships, but gives aid based on financial situation. A local politician is predominately mentioning in his campaign ads that he received a scholarship from Harvard. It implies that it is an academic scholarship. In my opinion, attending Harvard is cool enough for this area. Not too many people go. But it just kinda irks me that he throws in this scholarship thing. So, are there scholarships or just financial aid?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

No scholarships, just finaid

now be careful, many people say things like, Won a full-ride to harvard - That scholarship could EASILY be from an outside source

Additionally, if he was dirt poor, he would have gotten a Full SCholarship to harvard - While it is need-based fin aid, its still TECHNICALLY called a scholarship (my HS tells ppl i got a scholarship to harvard, which i guess is partially true)

By Mmhome (Mmhome) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:27 pm: Edit

Thanks for the info, that's what I thought. My son's best friend is an athlete going to Harvard and there is a common misconception that he got an athletic scholarship. I just heard this politician's commercial again and it says...first person in his family to go to college when "Harvard gave him a scholarship". It implies, but does not explicitly state,that he had superior academics when heard in the context with the rest of the commercial. I called his campaign office to clarify this. They said he got an academic scholarship and I questioned that. The young man listened carefully and promised to get back to me. You are right that technically I guess you could call it a scholarship, but in this case, I believe that there should be a differentiation between need-based and academic. I don't know why this commercial bugged me so much, I just don't think it is fair to make some young kid think he could work really hard and get an academic scholarship. Our young friend almost didn't go because his parents really couldn't afford it, even with the financial aid package, but they finally decided to take out some bigger loans. His alternative was a full-ride, true athletic scholarship (including room and board) at a Big Ten school. It was a tough decision for him. It didn't help when people kept asking about his "athletic scholarship" at Harvard that didn't exist.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

yea the wordy is REALLY annoying - people tell me all the time about how their friend turned down a full ride to harvard to go to their school or whatever

but hey, as long as we're saying it, i got a 1/2 tuition scholarship to harvard too - go me

(ps, if this politician is super old, he could be telling the truth)

By Mmhome (Mmhome) on Friday, July 23, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

The campaign office called and said the wording of the commercial is going to be changed over the week-end. Looks like I hit a nerve. By the way, he is only 30'ish. They said some Harvard alums had also called questioning the wording. He did not receive any academic scholarships from outside sources. His Harvard education was financed by need-based aid. They are going to change the wording to emphasize his overcoming financial obstacles to go to Harvard, a school that nobody in his county had ever attended, blah, blah, blah. But I'm glad that this young politician will not get tripped up over a poor choice of words. His campaign is also making up a statement clarifying his "scholarship" for anybody who asks.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page