I'M PULLING MY HAIR OUT OVER THIS! Black female w/question

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: I'M PULLING MY HAIR OUT OVER THIS! Black female w/question
By Nanaama725 (Nanaama725) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Hi,
I'm a black female(rising senior) from southcentral PA, I attend a predominantly white school, and I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I took the PSAT's my sophomore year and didn't do as well as I would have liked, but as a result I was contacted by Harvard. This contact continued through my junior year and they even sent one of their student recruiters to my school to talk to me and one of my friends. I also applied to their summer school and was accepted, but I couldn't go. Anyway, I have their application and everything, but I'm still debating whether or not I should apply. From what I've gathered, Harvard is really amazing, but I don't want to submit my application just for the adcom to laugh or something. Is it worth it? I would really appreciate some feedback. Thanks!
Here are some of my stats:
1320 SAT(650M 670V)-definetly retaking
30 ACT composite-not retaking
780 U.S. History SATII-I'll take writing and probably bio in November
5.4 weighted GPA
38 out of 338(top 11%)
Here are most of my EC's
Job: Year round part time cashier at Sears
Orchestra
Yearbook
Church Choir
Secretary of NHS
Forensics(member of NFL)
Violin lessons
I'm a teen staff writer for my local newspaper. So far I've had 18 published articles
Bowl for Kid's Sake
Habitat for Humanity
Thanks!

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

"From what I've gathered, Harvard is really amazing"

That made me laugh.

Anyways your SAT scores seem okay, however keep in mind that there is not a dearth of minorities applying to Harvard and many of them will have higher scores.

However your extra curricular seem solid. If you can get a letter of recommendation from your employer or somebody who has worked with you, I am sure it will compensate for your mediocore scores.

The only advice I can give you now, is TO APPLY TO HARVARD. So what if they laugh at your application, you don`t know that... You miss 100% of the shots you dont take, you wouldnt want to regret your decision in the future.

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, July 12, 2004 - 09:23 pm: Edit

I agree. If you don't ask, you don't get; if you don't apply, you won't get in. And if the adcom laugh, you won't know anyway, so why should you care?

Your SATs are acceptable, though at the low end. Your SATII-History is very impressive and you should be able to do well on your SATII-Writing (and I hope, on your SATII-bio). Your ECs are very solid. You need to take the most rigorous courses that are offered, write a great essay and make sure you get recs from teachers who can be enthusiastic about you.

Good luck.

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

I agree... it doesn't hurt to apply.
You are in the right ballpark with stats...
it's a crapshoot for anyone, though...
Also check out PENN, Brown, Columbia, Tufts

By the way, do you have preferences regarding:
(1) national research university VS. liberal arts college
(2) urban, suburban, rural
(3) region of the country (some people don't care where they go, others have very strong preferences)

By Serdu (Serdu) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:35 pm: Edit

Nanaama,

I would definitely go for it. Pick up some books on admission and read up. It helps. Your stats are definiely in the right zone and I don't see any major penalties towards your app. APPLY!

Let me know if you have any questions...

HTH

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

My PSAT jumped something like 30 points from soph. to jr. year, and my SAT went up 180 pts. between freshman and senior years, so definitely retake it!

By Lurker2 (Lurker2) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

There's a very good chance that you'd be admitted, as long as you prepare a good application. Good luck!

By Nanaama725 (Nanaama725) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Thank you so much. After reading what you all wrote, I will go ahead and apply. After all, there really is nothing to lose. As far as college preferences go, I really would prefer an urban campus. I probably would be content with a suburban school as well. I'm not so sure about a rural school. I also want to stay up north in the Mid Atlantic and New England regions, and I would rather attend a liberal arts college. And Jab93, I definetly will check out those schools you recommended. Thanks again!

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I think you have a very good shot. Go for it.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

What do you want to major in?

By Nanaama725 (Nanaama725) on Thursday, July 15, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

probably English

By Serdu (Serdu) on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 07:02 pm: Edit

Awesome dept there.

By Mathwiz (Mathwiz) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Hey that 5.4 GPA is really impressive.

People at my old school got in with 4.0-4.5's/

By Tiesrule (Tiesrule) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

what is a 5.4 on a 100 scale? im sorry if this is a dumb question, but my school doesn't use grades like that or weigh scores, so i'm a bit uninformed.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Tuesday, August 10, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Tiesrule, I don't know, either. Most high schools use a 4.0 UW system and, if they have weighted, they use the 5.0 W system.

I hope this is a tactful question to ask here- what kind of admissions preferences do biracial students get if their two races are non-URM (white) and URM (Native American)?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page