Am I Crimson Material?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Am I Crimson Material?
By Blankspace (Blankspace) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

I'm going to be a senior next year, and I'm trying to, like everyone else on this board, create a solid list of colleges to apply to. Honestly, what are my chances? These are my stats:

Rank 1 out of 237
GPA: 4.3 weighted (its rising, jazz band brings it down), 4.0 unweighted
most rigorous courseload available at my school
SAT: 1440 (730 M, 710 V)
SAT II: Math IC: 730, Writing: 710, and Lit:640 (retaking, bad experience, proctor said ten minutes when we had 20) I'm also planning on taking IIC.

I took AP Lit and AP Chem this year, and took the AP Hist. test (not a class offered at my school), I'm taking AP Physics, AP Calc., AP Lang., AP Spanish IV, Civics/Economics, and Honors Humanities or AP Psychology. I plan to maintain straight A's.

Some EC's:
-Eagle Scout
-Interact Club (2 year president, 1 year director of community service, currently District govenor)
-Music (play 6 instruments, commendable at 2)
-local symphony, city band, county honor band 3 yrs (probably 4), all-state band, jazz band, etc.
-Tennis team(2 years, will be 3)
-Fencing (took a class at a local college, like it a lot, might pursue in college)
-French Club (President 2 yrs.)
-California Scholarship Federation (President, life member)
-Acadecmic Decathlon (honors starter 3 yrs., prob. 4) (first freshman on starting team in my school's history)
-Westside Challenge (academic decathlon pre-competition)- placed 5th, 6th, and last year 2nd overall
-School Drum major (sophomore year)
-Band Council (President Sophomore year)
-Visual and Performing Arts Club (3 yrs, will be four)
-Knowledge Bowl- captain of the two year champion team
-Camp Royal- Rotary Youth Leaderchip Camp
-Drama- two school plays (will be three) starred in one
-Tutor- algebra
-Special Olympics Club member (vice president sophomore year)
-University of the Pacific summer music Camp
-Golden Bear Junior Leadership Training (Boy Scouts)
-Senior Patrol Leader in Boy Scout troop
-USA Drum Major Camp (numerous ribbons)
-DeMolay member(youth group sponsored by the Masonic Lodge)
-6th grade science camp counselor (1 yr., will be two)
-Escalon City Youth Advisory Counsil- Mayor Pro-Tem, Director of Distant Activities
-Attended 6 Interact district conferences
-Gone to mexico 2 times with Interact Club to put up playground equipment in neglected schools and give donate books and sports equipment to the children
-Over 650 hours of community service, hope to make 800 by the time applications are due

Awards:
-Eagle Scout
-Academic Awards in: Band, World History, US History, Biology, Humanities I, Spanish II, Humanities II, Spanish III, and Tigonometry
-Golden Cougar Award (to a freshman in band)
-Govenor's scholarship
-Scholar Athlete award (2 yrs., tennis)
-Medals in United States Academic Decathlon competition

I know that my awards are lacking a little, but I plan on fixing that (ideas would be GREAT!). I'm also planning on starting two new clubs at my school next year. Amnesty International and a Political Club (still need to decide on Republican or Democratic). As far as the essays will go, I'm a pretty good writer, and I'm confident that mine will be creative.

I'm very interested in majoring in something like International Relations, or a language like Greek, French, or Italian. Suggestions on how I can improve my ECs and Awards to get into Harvard are more than welcomed. Thanks.

By Blankspace (Blankspace) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 07:24 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Coureur (Coureur) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 10:16 pm: Edit

SAT scores are little light. You may want to retake to see if you can pull them up to 1500+ and 750+ on the SATIIs. But beyond that you look to me like you have a solid shot. Like everyone, you will need to write some very good essays and and have sterling recs. But even if you do all that, HYPSM admissions is still something of a crapshoot. There is no such thing as a sure thing at the top schools, so make sure you develop a robust list of matches and safeties to apply to also.

By Maggie9000 (Maggie9000) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

Yeah. You do need awards. And if you start a republican club... I just do not understand the world anymore. Bush is not stupid, he is evil. Thousands of people have lost their LIVES because of his greed and hubris. He is destroying the natural world for future generations. His enforcement of abstinence only education is helping AIDS ravage Africa. This is obviuosly far more important than Harvard. Please research politics before starting a club. A hilarious primer on the sins of W is lies and the lying liars who tell them...
Good luck making the right choice

By Apchemreject (Apchemreject) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

HYPSM = the lottery among college admissions
SAT I and II scores are on the low side for Harvard, up the SAT I score to at least a 1500, maybe take over Writing..
Eagle Scout? Niceee

By Julians (Julians) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

You sound a bit like me... You have a decent shot, but your scores are a bit below average for H.

Maggie9000 is quite foolish, if anything, starting a Young Republicans club is a great thing, an accomplishment that will make you stand out among the mindless liberal fools who typically apply to the elites.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

Wow, how necessary are awards?

This just gets bleaker and bleaker every day.

By Deerhunter (Deerhunter) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Are you crimson material?

Are you sure you WANT crimson to be your color? Crimson isn't as bad as white, but it doesn't exactly make you look "thin" like black. Just because everyone else wears crimson, or at least wants to wear crimson, doesn't mean you want to.

Actually it does.

Come to think of it, I want to wear crimson. Hey, am I crimson material? Guys, please help me. I'll absolutely DIE if I can't wear crimson.

My stats?

Well, I just took my WAIST, but I only scored a 33. But I'm retaking it (Measurer said I had 5 seconds, when I really had 10. I sucked in my stomach too quickly, giving me a tummy ache, which gave me a larger WAIST measurement. That 33 should be a 32!)

By Blankspace (Blankspace) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:27 am: Edit

haha, thanks for making fun of me. I laugh too at all the losers who post up "can i get in" pages. Thanks for humoring me everyone else.

By Indcat (Indcat) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 03:42 am: Edit

ur EC's r great man.U lack just in ur SAT-I like me (1430)
U gonna do EA?

Check me out too.Im on just above you

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page