college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Obsession :(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Obsession :(
By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Am i the only one who is dying inside?

Every single day, I'm thinking about things I can do for my Harvard application (early). Please tell me there are others like me out there. I sometimes find myself chanting "Harvard, Harvard, Harvard..." when I'm alone.

It's going to be a long five months...

By Haithman (Haithman) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I find myself doing the same for Wharton....Except with me I have another year

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I did that for Yale (the only school that behavior could possibly be justified for), but I didn't do it until after I sent my EA application in.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:29 pm: Edit

As much as I hate to admit it, I am too (esPECIALLY over Yale, but really for all of them). One moment, the next five to nine months seem like an eternity, and the next it seems like tomorrow (which is actually even scarier). I don't think I've ever been more meticulous about anything in my entire life, hehe. Where are my mom's pills? Geez...

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Philntex, that is exactly how I felt. I am so glad it is over. I will admit that I felt that way for all of them, until I heard that my Harvard interviewer basically demanded that they accept me out of all of my area's applicants which alleviated a lot of my fears (except for the small fact that I really wanted to go to Yale).

By Crazykidd (Crazykidd) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

you guys need to calm down...there are much more important things in life than getting into harvard or yale or w/e...from someone who just lost two friends (16 and 17) to really tragic accidents...put ur lives in perspective...all of you are probably way qualified for any school...just hope for the best and you will succeed...even if you don't get into harvard...u will all go to great schools and everything will happen for the best...just relax and enjoy everyday u have

By Varr (Varr) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Agh I feel that for MIT :)!

By Philntex (Philntex) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Chasgoose, if ONLY something like that could happen to me to ease the pressure, hehe. We'll see. You've made it to the other side AND in the Eli's promised land to boot, hehe.

and Crazykidd, I agree with everything you had to say, but for me, it's not just about the school itself that I'm obsessing over (although i'll be the first to admit that I'm VERY conscious of where I'm applying, lol). It's just the whole idea of going to college that's a little unnerving. Time's closing in on us, and for those of us who want to shoot for schools like Harvard and Yale, we know we've got to put out the best we have to offer and more, you know?

By Ivyboy05 (Ivyboy05) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Hrm. I dont know if I'd consider myself "obsessed" with college. I'm very...whats the word? Aware (I believe). A lot of my friends tell me that i'm obsessed with college and good grades. But the fact of the matter is I dont consider myself a "smart" person, although I am told by many that I am smart (Of course, not as smart as most of these CC people).

I think part of the reason i'm so intense about college admissions is because I didn't get into my first choice highschool. Although I love my current highschool, I dont want to settle as I did. And, this may sound "prestige whorish" or whatever you may call it, but I do want to attend the best school I can. Who doesn't? Really, how many people do you hear saying "Yeah, I really want to go to community college." heh, well, thats just my thoughts, and although I try to not be obsessed, I guess i kinda am. I think its more of a hobby for me. I mean, I have nothing better to do...

By Maggie9000 (Maggie9000) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

I was liek that before I applied to Harvard. I thought about it alot. I thought about ways to help my application. And my obsession paid off, sort of. I got in. But let me warn you now: it will not make you happy in the long run. Acheivments like that.... they fade so quickly. My best advice to you is to try and look inside. Ask yourself, "Why do I feel as though I need this? Why do I feel as though I need to acheive this?" Because it is healthy to be thinking about college, but NOT healthy to be obsessed with it. Psychoanalysis, phychotherapy, or phsychoanalytic thinking might be able to help you understand yourself better and the real reasons you are becoming obsessed.

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

Well, Maggie, there are a lot of reasons. The most practical is that a Harvard education will open many doors for me throughout my life. Harvard is also a great place to spend four years learning with some of the brightest students in the country.

The above things don't really answer the question, though. Why am I OBSESSED with it? I guess, in a way, I want some sort of validation for my years of hard work. I want to be able to sigh with relief and have something that tells me that my four years of missing parties for my calculus book and late-night studying sessions were worth something.

I also want my parents to be proud, knowing that their decision to come to America to raise a family and start all over was worth it. I want my grandfather, who is now deceased, to rest comfortably in the ground knowing that his oldest male grandson (it's a Chinese thing) didn't do too shabby.

I also want it to continue my friendship with one of my closest buddies, a veritable genius who will also be applying to Harvard next year and will almost certainly make it (he's a Harvard shoe-in, and yes, there is such a thing).

I could talk for pages about why I'm obsessed with Harvard. The underlying motive, really, though, is what I've said somewhere else on the board. Harvard is just so seductive. The idea of studying at the most prestigious university in the world gives me a tingle in my spine.

What can I say? I've got a high shool crush on a 388 year old girl.

By Mahras (Mahras) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:07 am: Edit

I have heart ache for Yale and Wharton!!!
And for all the reasons ubercollegeman said plus the fact that Wharton is awesome at business and yale has its residential colleges and uber awesome gothic buildings.

Sigh.....I am obsessed. *falls asleep hoping that there is a dream about being admitted into Yale or Wharton*

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:41 am: Edit

Yeah Mahras, you and I both. hmmm Wharton and Yale....

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

How can you like both Wharton and Yale? Yale is one of the least pre-professional of all of the Ivies and Wharton is one of the most pre-professional schools in the country. Outside of prestige they are very different.

By Haithman (Haithman) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

It's all about placement into banks. Trust, I have my reasons.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Haithman...I don't think Yale has better banking placement than any of the other schools in HYPS...

By Mahajan2005 (Mahajan2005) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

you guys are sick

By Haithman (Haithman) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

It probably doesnt have any better or any less placement into the top banks, but out of those schools its by far my favorite.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page