HARVARD's PRESTIGE

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: HARVARD's PRESTIGE
By Underdog (Underdog) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

What is Harvard best known for?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 04:49 pm: Edit

law, medicine, business

kennedy school

incredibly strong social sciences (economics, government, soc-KSG)

no academic weaknesses (engineering is decent)

By Madelinemay11 (Madelinemay11) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

"no academic weaknesses (engineering is decent)"

Many would say that engineering research at harvard is very poor. In fact, that is the main reason that Harvard tried to merge with MIT, but because MIT is a land grant school, the merger did not go through. Engineering is one of the toughest fields, so it is hard to excel in it (because of $$$, lack of top profs, and infrastructure).

So, because it is so tough to build up engineering internally, Havard allows students to take classes at MIT to get a top notch engineering/science education.

By Underdog (Underdog) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

So then would it be easier to get into Harvard if one specified Engineering on their application compared to other majors?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:41 pm: Edit

altho the cross registration does exist - its much more mit kids coming to H than the other way around...

in terms of coursework - even your best astrophysics concentrator wont reach the end of what H has to offer as an undergrad...

research tho - thats where MIT kicks H (and nearly everyone else') ass in the engineering fields

"science" harvard more than holds its own - if we are talking bio, chem, etc

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

Math. Harvard is ARGUABLY the best school for mathematics. That's a big ARGUABLY, since many will also say MIT or Princeton. All three are very close.

By Multinational (Multinational) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:57 am: Edit

Harvard's prestige is unparalleled (neither by YPSM nor by Oxbridge) in the world, it is the pinnacle of the American dream. Look at the many famous politicians, scientists, entrepreneurs, artists and lawyers it has produced and you will understand its power and influence.

By Madelinemay11 (Madelinemay11) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 12:04 pm: Edit

" is the pinnacle of the American dream."

except for anyone that want to go into hard sciences, computer science, electrical engineering, civil/mechanical engineering etc. These are the most competitive majors, and many of these students don't even apply to the liberal arts Ivies, including harvard.

By Datadigit1 (Datadigit1) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

"is the pinnacle of the American dream*"

* if you want to be a lawyer, politician, ect. then perhaps... for the sciences ect. there are much better schools... don't fool yourself (Harvard is excellent in these areas as well, but to say that it's just above all else without question is foolish and nobody in the 'real world' actually thinks that)

In the sciences (engineering included) many other schools have a much more prestigious history in the US and before you bash Oxbridge as well... don't forget that Cambridge has the most nobel prizes of any other school IN THE WORLD (more than twice that of Harvard) and just to mention a few of the scientific things to come out of Cambridge: calculus, theory of evolution, discovery of electron, discovery of neutron, "man splitting the atom", structure of DNA, structure of first protein, sequencing of DNA, sequencing the first genome (including the largest part of the public human genome project by any other university), sequencing the first protein... the list goes on and many other American schools could also produce similar lists (although mabye not quite as long). (yes all those things about Cambridge are true plus much more, including the Nobel prize thing, if you don't believe me check them out for yourself)

My point is that Harvard is a great school, no doubt about it, and certainly one of the worlds best. But PLEASE... don't be stupid... to say that one school is just so far above anyone else is just foolish and downright childish. Sure, if you watch hollywood movies you might think that Harvard is some be all and end all place... but in the real world it's just a great school in a league with many other great schools as well. Please change your attitude if you expect a name to take you places... you'll always be scooped by better educated and more motivated individuals who use their own accomplishments to take them places... not trying to use a name to get attention. There are many other schools out there that have a much more distinguished history in the sciences (to name one subject area) such as Cambridge... so please stop this nonsense about fighting over who is best and just accept that all these top schools are fantastic places!

By Mahras (Mahras) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

In previously help British colonies (India,Bangladesh, Pakistan) it seems oxbridge is much more influential than any other university in the world. I grew up before coming to the US, studing out of textbooks printed by the Cambridge or the Oxford press. I grew up listening about stories of people going to the UK to study at oxbridge. Almost everyone I know wanted to grow up and go to Oxbridge.

But then I came to the US and heard about Wharton. All changed!!!!

By Speductr2 (Speductr2) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Harvard's prestige comes from having vast resources and professors who are oustanding in their fields. That being said, Harvard is only what you make of it. It will not make you smarter, a better person or famous person. All that has to come from you.
My parents were both undergraduates at Harvard/Radcliffe when they met(late 1940's)and later married. My siblings and I spent our childhood years hearing about the glories of going to Harvard to the point that none of us even wanted to go. When I finally attended during a summer school session, I found that it was a beautiful campus, good classes, but not very different from the college that I was attending during the regular school year(a small LAC).
So I would say to any student who feels that Harvard is the pinnacle of success, go and enjoy it. There are many avenues to success(and failure) and Harvard is just one.

By Foreigngrad (Foreigngrad) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

While not necessarily THE best institution in every discipline, there is probably no other institution in the world that CONSISTENTLY shows up among the top 10 (or even top 5) in (almost) ALL disciplines.

The distinctive feature of H is excellence across the board in the braodest conceivable array. (which does not exclude other schools from topping H in individual disciplines, eg. Y law)

By Undecided086 (Undecided086) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Yes there is, UC Berkeley

By Markm2004 (Markm2004) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Wharton School of Business is known for its cutting edge pedagogy that complements the rapid growth and complexity of modern business.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

"While not necessarily THE best institution in every discipline, there is probably no other institution in the world that CONSISTENTLY shows up among the top 10 (or even top 5) in (almost) ALL disciplines."

I've never seen Harvard engineering school on the top 10 list. I think you missed Stanford. look at those all reports like Gourman, NRA, and so on. Harvard never beats Stanford on those ranks, actually not even Berkeley.

By Lurker2 (Lurker2) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

"While not necessarily THE best institution in every discipline, there is probably no other institution in the world that CONSISTENTLY shows up among the top 10 (or even top 5) in (almost) ALL disciplines."

With all due respect ... you must not look very carefully. Stanford fits that description better than Harvard. Of course, both are great institutions.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:32 am: Edit

World's most prestigious schools:

Liberal Arts: Harvard, Oxford, Yale.
Pure Science: Cambridge, Caltech, Harvard, MIT
Engineering: MIT, Stanford, Caltech
Mathematics: Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, Caltech, Princeton
Business: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Oxford
Medical: Harvard, John Hopkins, Cambridge

By Irock1ce (Irock1ce) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit

Add UCB to Pure Science and Engineering. Go to Asia and everyone wants to go to UCB.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 10:07 am: Edit

Rtkysg

Actually, Caltech is hardly known outside the U.S. While there is no doubt that's it is one of the most prestigious schools, expanding that upto "World's" is overly exaggerated. Caltech has yet to go to catch up the international "fame" of other schools listed there.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Irulekalimdor,

My definition of prestigious above is more exclusively in academia and industry, and not merely random people on the street. You don't expect lecturers at Cambridge or Ecole Poly (in France) or managers at Samsung company (Korea) don't recognize Caltech, do you?

Basically, I put the schools above as the most prestigious as in the eye of the company recruiters around the world and not only for some students looking for undergrad study.
Your word 'exaggeration' is indeed an exaggeration :)

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

How come the company recruitors I talked to in Japan from the very industry you mentioned (Samsung and Toshiba) do not really recognize Caltech?

My dad currently is holding this senior partner position from Toshiba's Kyoto branch
This line was a response I got from him. "Hum...I heard it's a good school. I don't really know anything further in details though" So go figure yourself and stop marketting your school on this board any more, 'cause it won't make your school look any better than it actually is.
By the way, UCB which Caltech kids refer to as a dumping site of CA indeed has higer reputation internationally since we are exclusive to graduage programs here.
An average joe on street is very likely to recognize UCB, while the same response isn't anticipated with Caltech's case.

Picking Oxford as one of the most prestigious business schools shows your lack of knowledge outside your field. Or you meant London Business school?

By Sakky (Sakky) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

Rtkysg, I have to agree with Irulekalimdor in that I think you messed up when you said that Oxford is one of the world's prestigious business school. It is not.

Perhaps you were referring not to business-schools per se, but rather to places that people who are later successful in business tend to go to. But if that's the case, then that doesn't explain why you chose Wharton which is indeed a prestigious business school. Furthermore, you should have also included Yale and Princeton, for these places may not have elite business schools (or in the case of Princeton, no B-school at all), but they are places that future successful businessmen tend to go to.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Monday, July 05, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

How come we have threads like this? Seriously. Can't we just agree that ALL of the schools mentioned are equal in prestige? I realize some have historically stood above others, but these places all have brilliant minds.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:33 am: Edit

Pardon me for including Oxford for business school. I certainly recognize LBS as a better business school, however, LBS is often regarded less prestigious (significantly) than its peer LSE, Cambridge & Oxford, hence out of these three I chose Oxford for Business. Anyway, I think I'm pretty wrong to include Oxford there.

I don't know about Japan. They even use Japanese instead of English for many of their instruction manual of their products. Even they regard Kyoto University as good as Stanford, and Tokyo Uni. as good as Harvard (Japanese are very proud for everything from the rising sun). However, in Korea (Samsung is from Korea), Taiwan and China, such tech. companies normally recognize Caltech, even those companies in Southeast Asia and Australia acknowledge the school too (I'm from Southeast Asia).

BTW, Irulekalimdor,I hate to say this, but I'm pretty curious about your motives. You claimed previously that you're a China Olympiad kid who gets to MIT/Caltech but rejected at HYPS. Now you say your father has position in Kyoto. Do you know the possibility of Chinese (who don't really like Japanese) work in Japan? Very funny !!! From many of your very threads, it seems to me that you are in fact a Stanford knight trying to bash techie people. Sorry, but are you an MIT/Caltech reject? I'm not the least trying to advertise my undergrad school, hey, I'm now a grad student at MIT, will you say I'm advertising MIT to the world again. I don't like your attitude really !!

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 01:29 pm: Edit

"however, LBS is often regarded less prestigious (significantly) than its peer LSE, Cambridge & Oxford"

Take back the statement if you will. When we are comparing business schools, our criteria is on their respective MBA programs. (JD for law schools, M.D for medical schools. same logic)
LSE doesn't even have a formal MBA program, and Cambridge & Oxford MBA programs never crack even top 20 when it comes to international ranks by financial magazines. You are just comparing totally wrong institutions, blindedly assuming their overall prestigy gives a big boost to its business school branches. Harvard is undisputably prestigious school, and does it also speak for its engineering school quality? No. Have you heard of schools overseas like "Insead" in France, "IMD" in Switzerland, and "Lese Business school" in Spain? They are a few of the schools which American people hardly know but still carry incredible name values when it comes to business fields. The fact you don't know them gives any slightest dent to their reputations? Probably not.

Nothing to comment about your 2nd paragraph. You are just generalizing for subjects which you don't know even a sh*it about. Nobody dares compare local schools to Harvard. Where did you get the idea? Are you going to say you all lived in those countries for some years and bothered to get recruited by those companies? And as you pointed out, don't forget I have my Chinese background as well. Caltech is pretty in obscurity including the mainland and H.K So please do not bother to make things sound like only you have access to those Southeast asia local information and what you know defines what it is. Caltech is pretty much like "Insead" in France i mentioned previously. Some related people in that field might recognize it, but in general, it doesn't live upto the name value other schools carry.

Your theory of Chinese people hating Japanese are really bullsh#it, and that shows some retarded perception you see the region with so old-fashioned look. The biggest investing country in China is currently Japan and you will be surprised to see how things are exchanged in those two including the human capital resource. Right...I bet stuck-up typical student at Caltech ever bothered to do some work with international economics, and relations.

I never tried to take down MIT in any statement I made previously and you are the silly one trying to equate Caltech and MIT when it comes to "international" prestige. Go advertise MIT and I have no objection to that. Simply the name value is different from Caltech's.
So you don't like my attitude eh? Great.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Oh yes, I've heard about INSEAD indeed, especially its branch in Singapore, it's a very famous MBA school that I happen to forget to include in my list, satisfied? Alright, do you mind with that list, you want to add U of C and Kellog, please do so, I don't mind. INSEAD is much more famous than what you think and internationally recognized.

Don't argue with me about Chinese attitude to Japanese. Don't you know that Chinese famous actress Zhao Wei got beaten two years ago because she put on dress with an obscure 'orange sun'. I don't even think you are Chinese national at all, which has shown your incredible story about being China olympiad kid, and now try to fake your father occupation in Japan? Well, go on bluffing everybody if that please you ...

Let me open your eyes a bit kid, China goverment does not mind at all if Japan invest in the country. But most China denizens would mind to work in Japanese culture which is extremely different. What do you know about it? Heck, you know nothing. And you don't think that Japanese prefer Tokyo University than Harvard huh ? Well that proves you don't know much about Japanese, go and ask Koizumi if you want. Ask your japanese friend around, you'll find out that the cream of Japanese student will prefer going to Kyoto/Tokyo Uni. In Japan, people even give you a distaste look if you talk to them in English (well clearly an exaggeration, but they will respect you much more if you could talk in Japanese). Have you ever visited Japan ?? go then. Now don't try to fake any other profile!!

At least now you can accept that MIT is very2 famous in the world and it's just as well-known as HYPS, good progress. Caltech is not that well-known, but it has equal prestige in academia and industry around the world. Similarly, which big company in the world doesn't recognize INSEAD ??
Even in Caltech many people understand economics much better than you. And oh yes, I equate Caltech with MIT since I feel that Caltech undergrad program is slightly better where MIT grad program is slightly better (the broader research interest). So, you who never go there don't believe it right?

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

You've seriously got some maturity work to get done. Going over your ridiculous posts(which primariliy are composed of Caltech selling) made across different forums of this board, it occurs to me that you need to find some god damn life. People would think Caltech graduate has some more meaningful work to do instead of spending hours and hours arguing with just prefroshes on this board.

By Madelinemay11 (Madelinemay11) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 04:42 pm: Edit

"World's most prestigious schools:

Pure Science: Cambridge, **Caltech, Harvard, MIT
Engineering: MIT, Stanford, **Caltech
Mathematics: Cambridge, Harvard, MIT, **Caltech,"

Oh man, what a crock! Irulekalimdor is absoultely correct when he said Caltech is an unknown school in the world at large,much less a prestigious school. Caltech is known mainly in Pasadena California....every mile you move away from Pasadena, its prestige diminishes exponentially.

By Multinational (Multinational) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Saying Caltech is unknown or not prestigious internationally is just stupid. I say this as an unbiased international student who didn't even apply to Caltech (going to Harvard). Having lived in China and Germany, I fully agree with Rtkysg that Caltech is highly regarded in academia and industry. From Rtkysg's posts on the Caltech board I can say he is one of the most sophisticated and considerate writers of CC. And btw, Irulekalimdor, I also have the feeling that you are not quite honest about your background, because it is simply a matter of fact that the vast majority of Chinese people resent the Japanese. If you really come from China, you should have no difficulty saying who wrote the following Chinese poem:

chun mian bu jue xiao
chu chu wen di niao
ye lai hua yu shen
hua luo zhi duo shao

By Madelinemay11 (Madelinemay11) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

"Saying Caltech is unknown or not prestigious internationally is just stupid"

Fine...I give up. Caltech is the most prestigious school in the world, everyone knows about it, and anybody that doesn't know it exists is a retard.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Multinational, Thanx for your post and compliment :)

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Well maybe the Rape of Nanking and all the horrible things the Japanese did to all of Asia during World War II has something to do with the animnosity between the Japanese and the Chinese. I'm not even Chinese (I'm Korean-American) and the fact that the Japanese continue to deny their past war crimes angers ME as well.

Oh and I sincerely doubt the Japanese think Kyoto University is as good as Stanford and that Toyota University is as good as Harvard. They are not THAT deluded.

By Foreigngrad (Foreigngrad) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

"Cambridge & Oxford MBA programs never crack even top 20 when it comes to international ranks by financial magazines"

According to the 2004 Financial Times global MBA ranking (i.e. as British as it can get)

Cambridge ("Judge") # 34 (last year # 30)
Oxford ("Said") #26 (last year #35)

By Foreigngrad (Foreigngrad) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 10:17 am: Edit

"INSEAD is much more famous than what you think and internationally recognized."

Can anyone comment on its reputation in (East) Asia?

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

Multinational.

The typical uneducated Chinese people might dislike Japan for the nasty historical involvement, but let me ask this back to you. The Dutch choose not to work in Germany because of the depressing historical relation? The French do not work in Germany because of the massacre done during WW2 period? Ask your silly questions yourself if you will.

By the way, nice try with Meng Hao Re's poem. You typed it somewhat wrong with a few issues with pingyin. But that's fairly remarkable for a foreigner's job.

That actually goes like this.
chun mian bu jue xiao,
chu chu wen ti niao
ye lai feng yu sheng
hua luo zhi duo shao

This is usually taught in elementary school text. So knowing this poem doesn't tell anything about my background anyways.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:29 am: Edit

"From Rtkysg's posts on the Caltech board I can say he is one of the most sophisticated and considerate writers of CC."

Go over his posts well. You shouldn't equate him with someone actually helpful like Sakky. He does absolutely nothing but bashing the hell out of other schools just to sell "Caltech" name here.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 11:44 am: Edit

Irulekalimdor,

Don't equate Asian people with European people, they just have different culture. It is VERY hard for Asian people to forget their past. Now, every chinese knows that Chinese goverment does not have a good sentiment towards US (and Japan as well). But they still allow Microsoft roaming in China. Why?
Bottomlines, don't mix economy policy with emotional sentiments. Are you going to claim that Chinese government is uneducated ?

"He does absolutely nothing but bashing the hell out of other schools just to sell "Caltech" name here. "

Oh yeah, tell me which school I bash ?? Don't just talk nonsense in addition to all your lies. Don't be narrowminded, whenever I said that Caltech is great, it doesn't mean I'm trying to advertise it and bash any other school. Now can you quote any of my posts bashing other schools? You're just in fact a big liar. Heck, I just want to share with others how good it is despite its social image of being dull and nerdy. Of course, I couldn't say such thing about other schools since I have not had the first hand college (undergrad) experience in other schools. Now, put your freaking enmity and unhealthy attitude somewhere else will you?

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Wednesday, July 07, 2004 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Rtkysq

"Do you know the possibility of Chinese (who don't really like Japanese) work in Japan? Very funny !!!"

You are the one mixing economy poilcy with emotional sentiments silly.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:23 am: Edit

Irulekalimdor,

Economy policy is made by Chinese government hence people have no vote for example whether Foreign bank may or may not enter China. Working in Japan is denizens' option and highly affected by people's sentiment. Look who's silly here.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

Let me ask back this. We are specifically on the issue of Chinese firms working in Japan. In that sense, your Foreign bank example doesn't quite fit within the picture. Or you can draw an analogy with a China-oriented firms like HSBC, (the considerable share is held by Shanghai firms), can enter Japanese market. The decision is made by Japanese gov't, not Chinese one.

We are discussing if Chinese firms are willing to give up their promising market in Japan because of the damn anti-japan sentiment you are talking about? Working in Japan is actually on the same line, just a bit more focus on micro-econ scale.

So obviously you are the silly one. Wrong logic, wrong analogy.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Plus, even if your stance is correct, you don't grasp even a bit about the reality. Any Japanese firm can venture into Chinese market as long as it proves profitable to both sides. Care to visit business capitals such as Shanghai and Beijing (to some lesser extent.) You will see literally numerous Japanese banks positioned.

So let's say wrong logic, wrong analogy + wrong example.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Don't give such a funny example. We all know now that China is the place for venture and not Japan. Japan is currently trying hard to improve its venture in China and try not to lose its edge to the Korea and USA. In this coming weeks, China local bank policy is just starting to open public for foreign investment, e.g. HSBC which is still regarded as somewhat foreign bank status is now projecting its share in China mainland local bank. Hence your proposed example of China-bank or any China-firms venturing to Japan is just ridiculous. Simply China firms have no incentive to venture in Japan and in addition, Chinese individual is not likely to work under Japanese firm IN JAPAN. I don't say there isn't at all, but the possibility IS SMALL and SO IS THE CHANCE of your father working in japan.

I suggest you read more valuable information from Businessweek, Newsweek, and AWSJ. You're grossly negligent to say someone's silly when you don't even have enough knowledge to build up the logic (or you think a techie grad don't understand business and economy at all ).

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 09:22 am: Edit

http://www.nri.co.jp/english/opinion/papers/2003/pdf/np200368.pdf

Care to read this report. Scroll down view the Japanese market venture by Chinese firms section and see who's the nerdy one here. Yeah surely you are a tech school graduate just as I expected.

If you want to argue with your crappy "Chinese firms don't like Japan just because of poiltical reasons," prove it with a substantial figure. Otherwise, otherwise just go pi#ss on your ignorant head upside-down.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Dude, do you care to find the definition of 'investment'? You DON'T need to work in the country where you invest the money. Let me give you an example, I'm currently holding some shares of stock & mutual funds in HongKong (additional income :) for my pocket money) through Charles Scwhab online system. This means that when I make some investments in HK, I don't need to go personally and work in HK. You must realize that ventures that I specified above (i.e. from Japan to China) involves a shift/draft of the workers. These types of venture happen for example when Japan Toshiba opens a new manufacturing industry in West China. In this case, some people in the Japan Toshiba management are required to move into China to supervise the new opening. However, the ventures flow from China to Japan take a different form. Chinese firms basically buy shares from Japanese market stock and make investments in Japan. In this case, no Chinese people is required to move to Japan.

Hey, you owe me a treat for such an explanation from a 'nerdy' techer.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

"Simply China firms have no incentive to venture in Japan and in addition"

This is from your statement. Care to define your meaning of "venture" again? for now, who's the ignorant one who attacks the definition without realizing what he has said himself?

Let's go back to one more very vague definition issue. "involves a shift/draft of the workers." Do you realize a CEO might even be a worker by loose definition? What about some local representative dispatched from home-country's central office? do they count as a worker or not?

"Simply....no incentive.." yeah you well heard your own words. "Simply" "No incentive" ...right.

Seriously if you need to pick on definitions..you better watch for what you've said yourself. learn from your own mistakes.

By Irulekalimdor (Irulekalimdor) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 04:18 pm: Edit

and realize this thread has got quite lame after your Caltech selling.

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Friday, July 09, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Well, I think I will close this issue since you haven't understood much of this matter (sigh ... I guess you're a Chinese American and not a mainland Chinese). Yes, the worker class I've mentioned above even includes CEO and representatives, let me repeat, you don't need to move from your home to make such an investment. At this very moment, you yourself in US could also make an investment in Japan thru online trading (if you >21 of coz :)).

I didn't say that no Chinese people work in Japan at all, but chances are slim. Consequently, your self-proclaimed background become very weak, and your profile become dubious. In Business, the word 'venture' has some slightly different definitions. When I said most Chinese people don't have incentive to venture in Japan, I mean that they are not inclined to go personally and work in Japan. Heck, you know what I'm talking about, so don't play with words .

Yeah, realize how the thread looks bad after you try to bash my posts with such silly hostility. Enough said !!

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

OMG...Harvard;s Prestige thread has turned into.......a Chinese/Japanese History/Economy debate!!!!*lol* I didn't know there were this many fellow chinese ppl on this board...by the way, in a magazine at my elementary school, they actually turned that poem in to a very funny "er ge" (if you know what i mean..) concerning a pest-killer...anywayz, enough of my useless info to this thread....=)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page