Harvard peeve

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Harvard peeve
By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

I was just browsing the course catalogue and I ecountered the Harvard core curriculum.

My question: are we supposed to take all the courses listed there??

Half those subjects have no interest to me, and (if I get in) I was hoping to explore other fields of interest.

The core curriculum at Yale seems more flexible. They only require subjects from "areas" and students can choose courses within those areas.

How does it work at Harvard?

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 08:28 am: Edit

Read the requirements description. I think there are 7 core requirements. I believe the number of core requirements is similar to Yale's or Princeton's. The big difference with Yale or Princeton is that some courses are specifically designated as fulfilling the Core requirements and you must choose among them. MIT has a similar system for its Humanities and Social Sciences requirements. The list of courses for each area is long so as to give students a choice. You need to take only one Foreign Cultures course, for instance, you need not take all of them! Also, beware brackets. These indicate that the course will not be given the coming year. It is listed so that students can plan their courses over two years. Finally, the new catalog generally comes online some time in July, so the one you are consulting may not be accurate.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 11:43 am: Edit

core classses are great -

but if it bothers you, dont worry - it wont be here in 2 years

H is moving towards distributional reqts - with a concerted effort to keep whats best about the current system - the kickass classes offered

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

Hey you go to Harvard right,

There are seven core classes. Does that mean you spend your whole freshman year taking only core classes. Because freshmen take between 8 - 10 courses a year, right?

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 02:21 pm: Edit

No. The core requirements are distributed over 4 years. Students are expected to take 8 semester courses per year. The core requirements thus make up two courses per year. You choose which ones to fulfill in any given semester.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page