Taking classes at MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Taking classes at MIT
By Mathninja (Mathninja) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 01:45 am: Edit

Are H students only allowed to take Engineering classes at MIT or does it span the broader math/science arena, and even into the humanities?

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 03:00 am: Edit

In theory, you can take anything at MIT.
But in practice, almost NO ONE ever does...
even the engineers... M.I.T's academic calender
is not quite in synch with Harvard's...
and in every field except engineering, the course selection at Harvard is more than adequate for even the most ambitious, driven, advanced student. In my 4 years at Harvard (physics & astro joint concentration), I never met a single student who ever took a course at M.I.T....

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I think I just want to lurk around MIT's campus one day stalking Noam Chomsky...maybe get the prof to sign a book. That'll be the extent of my academic relationship with the fine institution.

By Corny (Corny) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

You can take up to half your schedule at MIT with the permission of your advisor.

The only schedule conflict is in the Fall Semester. MIT starts two weeks earlier than Harvard and Harvard's term ends after Christmas
vacation (whereas MIT's term ends before vacation) so you end up with a long 20 week term rather than the normal 15/16 weeks. The Spring Semester, however, is practically identical.

I'd suggest only cross registering in Spring because I've tried the Fall Term cross registering and you can easily get burned out.

By Sraid7777 (Sraid7777) on Thursday, July 01, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

I think I just want to lurk around MIT's campus one day stalking Noam Chomsky...maybe get the prof to sign a book. That'll be the extent of my academic relationship with the fine institution.

hahahahha. I have his email, if you want to contact him. I emailed him and he actually responded- Really cool!

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:14 pm: Edit

damn, the mit engine courses rock, even the ones with names like "introduction to blah blah"

By Cavalier302 (Cavalier302) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 03:21 pm: Edit

hey jab, how have you liked the astrophysics program at harvard? That is a field I would love to go into and am curious about its srengths at some of the top schools like harvard.

By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 04:26 pm: Edit

whose noam chomsky?

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

cavalier,

Astrophysics at Harvard is absolutely amazing...
The Havard U. Department of Astronomy, the Harvard College Observatory, and the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory are all part of one super-institution called the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics... it has close to 200 PhD astrophysicists working in every conceivable branch of astrophysics... Harvard also owns and runs telescopes in Arizona and Hawaii...

The department ranks in the top 3 (along with Caltech and Berkeley)... no one disputes these 3 schools... after that, Princeton, and UChicago round out the top 5. Other great schools (in the top 10) are U.C. Santa Cruz (yes, I said Santa Cruz), UArizona, and UHawaii. So for those of you out there who are serious about astronomy and astrophysics, but are not quite Harvard caliber, there are still truly phenomenal schools that are much easier to get into.

Regarding undergrad education: the course selection is a bit weak... the department strongly encourages students to do a joint-concentration with Physics... this is a must if you want to go to grad school. The amazing thing about astro at Harvard is the research opportunities... in my freshman year, i helped run the radio telescopes at Harvard as part of my work-study... every summer, I had a guaranteed job at the H-S CfA doing cutting edge research... I had published a couple of papers by the time I graduated... During the year, I worked 10 hrs/week as a research assistant to professors... again, this was part of work-study. I got to analyze data from telescopes; one summer I helped build and test and x-ray detector that was eventually launched...

When I applied to grad school, I got into EVERY school, including CalTech, Berkeley, MIT, Harvard, Chicago,
and Columbia (I chose Berkeley). I think what did it was my research experience and excellent recomendations from professors who knew me well... (my grades were solid, but not outstanding with a 3.55 overall, 3.67 in my major).

Even though Harvard is a big research university, if you major in astro, your classes will be very small, you will have a department that really cares about your well-being, you will get to do cutting edge research... the professors actually fight over students because there are more professors than students in astro.

By Corny (Corny) on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Noam Chomsky is a linguistics god. He pretty much fathered modern syntax theory. That's pretty much why MIT became the best linguistics department in the world. Most linguistics professors and students want to go there to learn from the master.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page