What do you think

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: What do you think
By Skywalkersblade (Skywalkersblade) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Regular decision.

i just finished my junior year at a top5 school in california, and a top50 school nationally. i'm ranked in the top 3.5% of a class of close to 900 (i'm sorry i don't stack my gpa (4.5)---it doesn't seem right to me to take a class i don't like).

my SATs:

800 Bio/M
790 Math IIc
780 Writing
760 Chemistry.

I've taken 6 APs thus far, and will have completed 9/10 by the end of my high school tenure.

My ECs:

* Captain and MVP (three years running) of one of the top Academic Teams in the State (we recently represented California at the Panasonic Academic Challenge---considered to be the "A-team" national championsips---and placed top 15 and were in the semi-finals).

* Surfer. Casually (not competitive). About 1-2 hours a week).

* Guitar. see above.

* I've worked at UCSD for a good 2.5 years now, and have an abstract published, and hopefully another paper on the way. I really love working here, and doing research. I hope to continue in college (hopefully in my current field of study).

* President of the News and Propaganda Club---a media and sociological analysis club. We're very liberal :-).

*VP of school's FBLA. I'm not much of a business person myself, but I like economics/marketing (my mother is a major, so I've been around it for a while).

*Studdy Buddy. I know it doesn't mean very much, but I love working with kids.

*Club Swimmer.

I have some national science awards and stuff as well, but rate me by my aforementioned information. I want to become a doctor/biotechnologist (love both; been around both for a long time), and would like to major in molecular or human biology. I'd also like to minor in psychology or philosophy. Again, I love both, and am an ardent follower of Eastern thought (most notably Hinduism and some part of Buddhism---which in its barrest form is really just Hinduism, but let's not get into that :-) ).

So what do you think? Do I have a shot? I'll be applying to Harvard regular decision.

PS. My SATI hasn't been completed yet; I'll have a 1500+ by the time I apply.

By K0w (K0w) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

nice sat II scores (you can take four?). btw wut were your grades for the tough courses that you took in your years at hs (ap, honors etc) and ur ap scores? we (maybe not all of us) need to know this and how your school stacks up to other schools in your county/state. most people don't believe this, but my counselor, teachers, etc. told me this was part of the factor that gets into admission (if it isn't, don't flame me; start it in another forum.) also if you wanna be a doctor, u better get a internship or firsthand experience in the field. im about to be a junior rite now, nd tons of teachers demanded that i had to a course in something in that field to even go into a medical school (i believe this applies to harvard as well?). so i just started doing internships at kaiser, community service, getting a job at a hospital, and eventualy going to vietnam to go on a major journey to help the sick there too. again, if i'm wrong, dont go writing that im a big idiot. lol

just wait for someone else to answer u too, since im only a junior and just telling you from what i learned

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page