? AM I? college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
Me A TYPICAL HARVARD APPLICANT??? :(? AM I?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Me A TYPICAL HARVARD APPLICANT??? :(? AM I?
By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Hey guys does my stats seem Harvard material? or NON IVY nor top 25 applicant?

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=varr00

I want to know, if with this stats that I have so far can I even be considered good enough??

Im shooting for over 2200 in NEW SAT
and over 750 in all SATII subjects.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

YOU ARE STARTING JUNIOR YEAR YOU NEED TO STOP OBSESSING ABOUT THIS IT ISNT GOING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL GET IN. WAIT UNTIL IT IS AT LEAST A BIT CLOSER TO THE TIME YOU ARE APPLYING!

By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

first I am not obsessing!!, no one made you read this, If I posted is because I just wanted to know what others think about my stats, I have no one to turn to!! now please couldnt you just be more understanding, and not post such comment about no one caring, dont judge me I am not obsessing, cant a person wonder how they are doing?

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Varr, don't worry, I was EXACTLY like you at that time. You're doing fine, and b/c you've been active on these boards for a while, you have the knowledge needed to get into many of the schools on your list. You are WAY ahead of the game. However, I suggest that you shorten your list of schools(i'm sure you know already). It's A LOT of money to just send in the applications, and there's SO much time involved. So, unless you have the money and start the apps like in September, or as soon as you get them, I'd say at most apply to 8 or 9. Good luck, enjoy high school, and you'll definitely get into some good schools.

By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

also, if you're interested in engineering, take Georgetown off the list. They don't have any engineering departments, except Computer Science if you consider it engineering. That's one of the reasons why i'm looking to transfer to either Penn, Harvard, or Cornell(i have guaranteed transfer to Cornell, so no applying, yay:) ), b/c i'd like to take 1-3 engineering courses, as well as other areas that Gtown doesn't focus on.

By Varr (Varr) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:08 pm: Edit

:)!! Cornellhopeful- thanks for the advice!(I will take GeorgeTown of the list. lol yes I know my list is long and Im only applying to 8 or 9 but thanks to people like you, my final list is taking shape)
I believe you had given me some tips before thanks I really appreciate it :)!
Good luck with your transfer applications!!

Would you say Princeton's engineering dept is better than Harvard's??

By Imac7477 (Imac7477) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:42 pm: Edit

much

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Its just that you have been flooding College Confidential with the same posts since you were a freshman in high school. The answers haven't changed much since then. You are still just about as accomplished as you were then and you will probably get a nice admissions boost by virtue of your Mexican heritage. Happy?!

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

Its just that you have been flooding College Confidential with the same posts since you were a freshman in high school. The answers haven't changed much since then. You are still just about as accomplished as you were then and you will probably get a nice admissions boost by virtue of your Mexican heritage. Happy?!

I am not criticizing these posts in general, its just you in particular need to let up a bit on these posts. Nothing has changed since we have last seen one of these (I know you think things have changed but from a college admissions standpoint your chances haven't been affected) and nothing is going to change until you actually get an SAT score or two (NO ESTIMATES). Even then we won't be able to tell you anything aside from the fact that you are a perfectly decent applicant to all of the schools you mentioned and it is possible that you could be accepted.

By Gk06 (Gk06) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

why are you asking this question when you already know you're going to apply to the schools you have in thought? you're asking for false conclusions or condolences from this board. even if they are optimistic, you might find yourself disappointed in december or april. my advice is just apply!

By Gk06 (Gk06) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

to answer your Q, i think you are a typical harvard applicant

By Rtkysg (Rtkysg) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:43 am: Edit

Varr, if you don't mind travelling to the west, you might want to add another Engineering giant to your list, CalTech.

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

Chasgoose - Thanks for your advice :), I guess im a little paranoid, since I have seen my older brother being rejected from various schools :(, he got into one but because my father agreed to add the company to that school's co-op program.
But now that I think about it he didnt have ec's, nor the grades since his school was very competitive, and lets just not talk about SAT scores, :( various mistakes that I just carefully dont want to make!
But I guess everything happens for a reason since he is very content in his school, lol he loves the co-op program there.:)

Gk06 - Thanks :)
Rtkysg - hmm I dont know I just dont think I like the West coast, but CalTeach alike Stanford are the best of the best for engineering! I will apply but Id think twice before going to the west! Now if I could get into MIT!! aww that would be wonderful!:)!!!!

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

What's wrong with the West Coast? Nicer weather, nicer people, etc. The East Coast is cold in more ways than one. MIT is a great school, but the atmosphere seems depressing in comparison to schools Stanford and CalTech.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

even tho im going to MIT, i have to agree in some respects to that cold thing. east coast is a little colder, but that's also due to the fact that less sun hangs around whereas in cali there's sun most of the time, right? but the thing i realized is that you won't notice it as much when you're working and hanging out with friends. the east coast is also VERY beautiful when it's sunny. i saw a few schools when it was sunny, and they were just gorgeous.

By Varr (Varr) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

I love the cold weather (Loved it when I lived in Canada)!:)
the west coast is alike mexico's weather hot and sunny, I just want to try something different!:)

By Onsomethinj (Onsomethinj) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

var doing nice

i need help on the same thing though... can someone help? like my chances and where else i could consider applying and stuff

Im currently a highschool student going to 11th grade and i am really confused on my chances for getting into a good college. Here are my stats

unweighted gpa: 3.6
weighted gpa: 5.2

EC's: over 450 community service hours,i have completed an internship with a CPA, a teacher, and a physician, and have had a part time job at a local convenient store, On a basketball team and football team, i also fence [planning on joing badminton on bowling next year)
Recieved National Honor Roll every year of highschool
Member of National Youth Leadership Forum
Among the Whose Who among top 5% highschool students for every year of high school
I live in Florida and aced the FCAT and got a perfect 6.0 on the FLorida Writing assessment
Numerous academic and citizenship honor rolls in highschool
Won first place at school science fair and SECME science fair
Won the American Legion Award
Won several awards at my Islamic religeous school i attend

I am in many clubs and honor societies, liek debate, NHS, EHS, SHS, MAO (mu alpha theta), chess club, secme...etc. I have competed in many calcululus tournaments and have always placed WITHIN the top 50 of the participants

I am vice president of MAO and Assistant President of NHS (Am i well rounded yet or do i still have much to go?)

I know i have more but cant think of any right now..

Most of my academic classes are AP and Honors. In middle school i took 5 honors classes which i transferred over to High School. In ninth grade i took 4 honors classes and one AP {world history). In 10th grade i took 4 AP's (calculus ab, bio, physics B, computer science A) and 1 honor and 1 regular. Over the summer im take 4 honors classes and one AP class online (Art History). For my junior year i am taking 6 AP's (calculus bc, english, history, human geography, chemistry, environmental science) and 6 in my senior year as well along with atleast 2 more online classes.

I dont have a SAT score yet because i have to take the new SAT 2005, but on my SAT 2 for molecular bio i scored a sad 630 (its ok considering i skipped 10 questions, damn heart diagram...)

By the time i graduate i will have had:

-4 years of Spanish
-4 years of English
-7 years of Social Studies
-----World History, American History, Human geography, pyschology, govt, economics micro and macro, art history
-7 or 8 years of Science plus a lab research which im planning on doing my senior year for a 7th period.
-------earth space honors, bio honors, chem honors, ap bio (got a B), ap physics (got a C), ap chem, ap enviro, labs (should be all A's)

-As for my math, it looks really retarded becuase i will have 6 years of Math (alg 1, alg 2, calc ab, calc bc, stat, computer science A); this is becuase i did not bring over my geometry grade from middle school because i did poorly in it and i recieved a no credit for precalculus. My math grades look like this: alg1 B (honors), alg2 B(honors), computer scieneA A (ap), calc ab A (ap), calc BC and stat most liekly A's (both ap).
Does this messed up math record look bad?

By the time i graduate i will have taken about 20 ap classes!

I will be taking more SAT 2's; math II, bio m again to fix my score (i know that heart now!), bio e, literture, and maybe us history and chemistry later

For schools like Harvard, princeton, yale, duke, stanford, emory, ucla, nyu, cornell,johns hopkins columbia..etc do i have a chance if i were to get straight A's from now on which i plan too. If this happens by the time i graduate i should have a 6.9ish gpa weighted and 3.7ish unweighted.

If i need to i will take some slack nightschool classes to up my unweighted a bit.

I would also like to know where i stand on HPME programs becuase i want to be a doctor and am trying really hard to cover up for my old slacking mistakes i made in my earlier classes that i took in middle school and transferred. I will be in the top 5 of my graduating class most likely.

Please somebody help on what i can do to improve myself; am i well rounded enough? and tell me my chances at the colleges i listed... thanks

By Varr (Varr) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

hmmm did someone just invade my tread .........................................................................................................................................................................

Jk welcome

By Chetpdes (Chetpdes) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

varr- i'd recommend adding some more safety schools. yeah i know the last thing you need is more schools, but i know students that applied to all eight ivies--and were rejected by all. you certainly are qualified for most, if not all, of the schools on your list (those technical institutes will take a hard look at your SAT I/IIs, so i'm not sure how to advise you there). however, college admissions tend to be very unpredictable (not to mention more and more difficult every year), and there is the remote chance that you could be stuck between ohio state, bucknell, and northeastern - good schools nevertheless, especially since i have a feeling you might get a good scholarship at ohio state. on the other hand i'm sure you can find something in between those and your other schools.

Examples:

Case Western: right in Cleveland, almost as good as Carnegie Mellon (which it is, for whatever reason, inevitably compared to), cheaper than most of the schools on your list, and while certainly competitive, accepts the vast majority of its applicants.

U of Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Texas at Austin: like CWRU, they are reputed in engineering, however be aware that these are BIG schools, with big classes to match. not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Georgia Tech: combines the best aspects of the above examples, yet not too big.

hope this helps...

By Chetpdes (Chetpdes) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Onsomethinj- i know different schools calculate GPAs using different weights, but a 6.9 (out of 4 or 5?) sounds almost ridiculous. double-check that with your guidance counselor. anyway, i'm not sure how to interpret your GPA, or your statement about taking 20 AP classes, but they certainly sound impressive. the fact that you're getting better as the years go by is admirable. you will soon discover that whatever you did in middle school and freshman year doesn't matter anymore, just keep working even harder than ever in 11th. And do well on those SATs.

By Varr (Varr) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit

Thankd Chetpdes :)!! that did help!! I will keep that in mind

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page