Academics at Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Academics at Harvard
By Cornellhopeful (Cornellhopeful) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:23 am: Edit

I might be applying as a transfer for Fall 2005(if they are having transfers). One of the reasons is b/c of my interest in astronomy, biomedical engineering, psychology, and the mind, brain, and behavior. They also have a few courses in health policy open to undergrads. Now, my major is psychology, however I would like to take a few courses in the other areas, and unfortunately, Georgetown doesn't have engineering, has one class in astronomy(which i'd like to take), and one course in healthcare policy(which I'd like to take as well). Thus my reason to apply as a transfer(as well as Penn). So, how exactly do academics work at Harvard? I read that it doesn't have minors. What does it have instead? Could someone give me an idea of studying at Harvard, or a website? Thanks.

By Blondie (Blondie) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:30 am: Edit

Harvard offers a lot of ways to study multiple fields other than the typical major/minor combination. All their majors are called concentrations, and they allow joint concentrations (though usually this is done with two similar fields). If you want to design your own major by combining different fields, you can do a "special concentration" (it has to be approved though of course). I think you can also get a citation in a foreign language if you show proficiency and take a certain number of classes. Let me see, what else... you need 32 credits by the time you graduate, one credit per class. 8 are for core classes, another 8 for electives, and 16 go towards your concentration. I'm sure their website has lots more information. The URL for the college itself is : www.college.harvard.edu/home.html
Hope I helped!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page