Is Harvard EA basically wasting a good chance at other EA`s

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Is Harvard EA basically wasting a good chance at other EA`s
By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Whats the acceptance rate at Harvard EA? And is it tougher than RD?

By Netmet (Netmet) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:38 am: Edit

No, it's actually a lot higher than RD. EA was about 21 percent last year.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 02:08 pm: Edit

Yale EA would be wasting your EA if anything as their acceptance rate was only 16%.

By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

So out of STANFORD, Harvard and Yale, which one do you think i`ll have a better chance at EA?

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:25 am: Edit

stanford. stanford is where all the cool kids who MIT and Harvard missed out on attend. im applying to harvard EA b/c im not too impressed by the kids that Yale let in: it's too inconsistent.stanford shouldn't be too difficult as they are relatively consistent. maybe im just biased and ridiculously so. but then again, didn't our genius president, Bush, attend Yale as a coke-addict?

By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 04:35 am: Edit

I think people are drawing unfair generalizations about these schools. You shouldn't let one admission decision from the past skew your perception of an entire university in the present. But even if you fall victim to this, you should at least realize that Yale is not alone in its preferential treatment of high-profile legacy applicants. Ivy League schools were, for hundreds of years, basically gigantic pots of nepotism, with entire family lineages attending the same school. You say that you're applying to Harvard EA because you're not too impressed by the kids that Yale let in. The fact of the matter is, in the present time, there is essentially no difference between Harvard admits and Yale admits. Both schools are striving for the same goals, and both schools admit the same types of students. Finally, it is incorrect to say that "Stanford shouldn't be too difficult" for its EA round of admissions. I was admitted to all three of the schools in question, and I can tell you that none of the three schools' EA rounds are easy, and no schools' EA round is easier than the others'. It is flat-out wrong to say that an EA application to Yale would be a throw-away based on initial admit rates alone. You would have to consider also the deferral rate (which is very high at Harvard and Yale but very low at Stanford) and the subsequent admit rate for the deferred students. And even then you wouldn't have a clear picture of which school is the "hardest" or "easiest" to get into. Instead of fussing about these trivialities, you should focus on your essays, because that's what will get you in.

Peace

By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 06:59 am: Edit

Hey guys, why does every post have to end up being a big fight between two supporters of different yet equal schools. Its okay to give out your point, but this will soon turn out into a Harvard-Yale competition post, and nothing will be resolved. Lets kill it right here. All I asked for were the admit rates at the following schools for EA!

By Ivyboy05 (Ivyboy05) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 11:15 am: Edit

Is there a place where we can find out admit rates of deffered applicants to Havard, Yale, etc...?

Yeah, I dont think ANYONE should apply to Yale EA. I need less competition! Apply to Harvard!!! Apply to Stanford!!! :)

By Sprite (Sprite) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:14 pm: Edit

I think EA admit rates are a bit misleading. First of all, the number of people applying is lower than RD, so if 800 people get accepted out of about 4000 (Stanford '04), you already have a 20% admit rate. Second, the applicant pool for EA is much, much, much more competitive than RD, in my opinion. Apply only if you have excellent test scores, stellar ECs, and great essays. I found that the time I had between the EA deadline and the RD deadline helped tremendously. I revised my essays at least 5 times during that period. In the end, I was deferred from Stanford EA, then rejected. But I will be attending Harvard. The 6 other schools I applied to RD were also acceptances. So, don't buy into the "EA improves your admit chances" myth. Hope this helps.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page