HARVARD EA'ers (COME HERE)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: HARVARD EA'ers (COME HERE)
By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Hey all,

I think we all want to know what we're up against. Anyways, post your highest combined SAT score, top three SAT IIs (If taken) and your top three extra curricular activity.

I made a similar post in the College Admission board, but this one is specific to those applying EA to Harvard.

I'll go first,

not taken SAT IIs
Student government
Peer tutoring
Varsity Football

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Verbal-800
Math-780
SAT II bio-760
Academic Decathlon A Team 6th nationally
Science Bowl B team 1st Hands-On Competition LADWP
Environmental Awareness Club Founder/President
Envirothon Founder
Piano 12 years
Los Angeles Zoo docent

How do I type on adobe acrobat 6? I heard there's a way to do it. Crapshooting time...aka college admissions.

By Maud (Maud) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

ahh my SAT looks so bad compared to you guys...

SAT - 1460 (740 V, 720 M)
SAT IIs- 750 IIC, 750 Bio M, 800 Writing
ACT (took it in June, still waiting for scores...i think it will probably be 32 or 33)

ECs:
12+ years of classical Indian dance
Founder/President of Mock Trial team
Managing Editor of school paper
Internship (over summer and next year after school) at NIH

(sry I know that's four! but i guess academics-wise the dance doesn't really count...)

what are you guys planning to major in? I think I'll do a double major, maybe English and Bio, don't know for sure yet, though

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Yea, I want to do a double major as well. I will possibly major in Biology and a social science (psych or econ).

Maud, are you checking off undecided?

By Maud (Maud) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

uhh i dont know yet...i think i might just check of bio for now

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Maud:

The classical Indian dance is probably what would set you apart from other applicants. I'd highlight it if I were you.

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

800/800/770
Bridges summer program (bring in intercity students to my school for a tutoring camp) - 2 years, all summer, 8 hours a day.
Spearheading a teacher's assistant program - I will be the math head's TA and hold study sessions for the AP Calc class.
Founder/President/Coach of school's math team
Piano for 12 years
Art for 4 years
School newspaper - senior editor

By Attitudica (Attitudica) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 01:41 am: Edit

Marite, like you said Indian Classical dancing will set you apart. Is it the same for INDIAN CLASSICAL SINGING? I`m an avid learner of indian classical music and singing. Yet it is an art that can never be learnt fully in a 100 years.

By Ktpanda2033 (Ktpanda2033) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 05:10 am: Edit

how bout GPA-wise?

how many B's 9-12?
that seems to be of some significance

By Marite (Marite) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:03 am: Edit

Attitudica:

I think Indian classical singing should set you apart. The key is to highlight whatever passion a student has; this is usually done through the essay. You may also want to contact profs in the music department (there are profs who specialize in ethnomusicology. I doubt that profs will contact the adcom to let them know of your contact, but it will give you a better sense of the department, the resources, etc... By the way, Wesleyan has a very well known ethnomusicology department. Check it out as well.

By Atownstomp (Atownstomp) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

SATI- 760V, 670M(ouch) (32 on ACT)
SATII- took writing in June, will take two more in october.
NHS President, probably eagle scout, varsity football two years
no B's but a couple A-'s, rank 10/approx330

also- where are you guys from?
i'm from Minnesota

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

philosophy/ physics double major.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

780/760/730(W/IIC/USH)
1/240; all A's.
Academic Decathlon- Capt./Pres.
Newspaper- EIC/Pres.Political Club- Pres.
I'm from Central California.

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

No SAT I (I'm a MidWesterner, and Harvard takes both anyway)

SAT IIs- Shoiuld all be above 700, due to cirumstances at home, I'm retaking and plus I now need a science to apply to MIT.

ACT- Minimum 32, waiting for June results.

1/250 (it must be the Modest Mouse thing ;) , BURY ME WITH IT! My app, that is)

EC's:

Founder/hopeful President of Political Action Club
NHS Treasurer/2 year member
Written some political/opinion pieces for local paper.
Student Govt. 4 (senator 2 yrs, class prez, ambassador to administration)
Math Team 2 1/2 years with a few medals
BOWLING! 1st team 2 1/2 years
Served on the committee to choose new principal for our school
etc.

Time to roll the di on a white male from da Cheese State! *crosses fingers*

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 12:39 pm: Edit

LMAO, Hunter. You got to pick your principal? AWESOME!

Addendum: I am founder of the political club as well... Also, I am an Asian Indian female... From an underperforming school.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

i'm an african male from an over-performing school

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Modestmouse- yeah, it was pretty neat. The committee was basically reps from the school board, administration, parents, and students- I was the (only) student rep. We solicited resumees, evaluated candidates, did the interviews, etc. Although we didn't make the official selection- we made our recommendation to the school-board and President (who chaired the committee) and they concured. We did all the grunt work. I'm hoping it sets me apart somewhat, as I put in a ton of work on it.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Hunter1985- That is hella tight! This really should set you apart from everyone else... And if it doesn't... Well, then heck, Harvard doesn't know what it's doing.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Holy cow, are the kids at CC the exception or are these the average students that are applying to Harvard!

The lowest SAT mark is freaking 1430! and everybody here is the head of a club.

A pox on your applications!

By Stopps86 (Stopps86) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Although CC kids are usually exceptional applicants, maybe more so than the average applicant, I hate you tell you that these are mainly the type of people who apply to Harvard!

By Nealious (Nealious) on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 07:57 pm: Edit

1520, 750, 760, 740 (taking 2 more and retaking lowest one)

- In competetive clubs, debate captain for regional debate powerhouse (lol our school doesn't take debate very seriously, but there are some hardcore kids on our team)
- Wrote articles for Political Science reviews, journals, and sites; making a website for all the stuff we wrote
- published article about chromium content in public water system using spectrometer and graphite furnace at university lab...through the school and it was pretty cool

I'm not actually sure im applying ED

By Rajpatel (Rajpatel) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Indian male, NJ, from a school with 2346792564 overachievers.

SAT's - 1600
Molecular Bio - 730
Writing - 800

gotta take IIc and Chemistry in october.

-FBLA: national winner- 2nd place Business Math.
: NJ FBLA State VP
: school FBLA President and VP (last year)
: starting local middle school chapter of FBLA

- cofounder/exec board of statewide teen indian cultural organization

- internship with director of NJ Neuroscience Institute.

lotsa other ec's, i'll abide by the 3 ec limit though. thats what im hoping will get me in.

the problem, however, comes with the GPA. it'll be a 3.8 unweighted, and a 5.4 out of 6.0 weighted. I've had a few B +'s and lots of A-'s, though I've taken the hardest courses.

chances, people?

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit

hey modestmouse,

where did your deca team rank?

WE'RE AT SIXTH 2004.

LOOK FOR GHCHS ACADEMIC DECATHLON IN THE PAPERS NEXT YEAR FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

:-p

marena

LAUSD treats this shizzle hardxcore. el camino, taft, and reseda are all in our conference.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

Hey Marena!
Let's just say my team DIDN'T RANK! Lmao. We're in Fresno County... Edison kicked some behind, but not my team unfortunately. The team as a whole is bad. But I'm hoping to earn a Stephen Ho/Keith Yost-esque individual score next year!
-Noreen

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 10:11 pm: Edit

NICE Keith Yost was phenomenal! Hope to see you in LA this coming year :-P

Have you guys started yet? We may only go in with 7-8 members

By Patches (Patches) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

SATs:

I - 1600
Writing - 800
US History - 800
Math IIC - 790

ECs:

Youth and Government (won awards at state comp.)
Premier Boys State
Peer Tutoring

That, and Modest Mouse frickin' rocks.

By Scm007 (Scm007) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

SAT- 1540 (yuck), will take ACT 800 math, 740 verbal.
SAT II's - 790 Wrting
800 Chemistry
800 Math IIc

EC's
Knowledge Bowl (State 2 times) 1st in my school in like 7 years.
Math Club (Many awards)
Scientific Research (Maybe Siemens and Intel next year?)
Also Peer Tutoring and Volunteer work

By Spencer915 (Spencer915) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

SAT 1540
Math IIC 800
Biology M 800
Writing 770
Theater/Acting
Singing/Choir

By Rajpatel (Rajpatel) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

and oh, modest mouse (the band) kicks ass. just thought i'd add that.

"and we'll all float on okay"

By Scm007 (Scm007) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Spencer we have almost identical stats, except for the EC's that is. Anybody think I have a good chance?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

No Scm007 your chances are slim to none. In the first instance your 1540 SAT score is laudable.

And the fact that you have two perfect scores on the SAT IIs makes me want to cry "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE THIRD?!"

Knowledge bowl, so cliche. Scientific research, how banal.

P.S. This is the jealous me just venting. I hope we all get in, then we can have a big orgy.

By Justice (Justice) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 11:24 pm: Edit

800v790m
800iic 800wr 800ush 800phys
commserv
art
french horn

By Nealious (Nealious) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

any of you deca people go to nashville this year...maybe you saw me.

17# in nation here in probably the lamest event...we saw one of the judges drunk at our hotel lounge...my schools like 30th which is ok according to what my advisor says, but it doesnt matter because FBLA is cooler.

anyways its funny because my stats are really good compared to most people and they are the worst here. im the man, and i hope you all get in.

By Nealious (Nealious) on Thursday, June 24, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

or are we not talking about the same deca?

By Yequalsfofx (Yequalsfofx) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

haha Academic Decathlon national championship was held in Boise, Idaho but yea lol.

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

SAT I 1490 (710 V, 780 M)
Still have to take SAT II's

EC's:
Volunteered at community hospital for a year and still going
Vice-President of Spanish NHS
Varsity baseball player
Quiz Bowl team
Elementary kids' mentor program

do i need to take ACT's and how do i look compared to most of you guys? is my verbal score too low? thanks

By Philliesphan54 (Philliesphan54) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

can u please reply to the above post? it will be greatly appreciated.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Sunday, June 27, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

The verbal is def. not too low... But the ACT's can't hurt right? I'm planning on taking 'em for the heck of it. Who knows--maybe we'll 36 it? Lol. It's in 1500 range, don't fret.

By Leaf (Leaf) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 05:59 am: Edit

If I do apply EA to any school, it'll be this one (not posting stats just because), but I think I'd rather just fill in applications and send everything at once and forget about the whole thing till decision letters come out :/

Philliesphan54: I think you have good stats and I don't see the point of retaking (SAT or taking ACT), unless you think you can do alot better...either way, good luck :D

By Gienger (Gienger) on Monday, June 28, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

SAT I: 1600
SAT IIs: None taken. Planning on Math IIC, US History, Writing. Maybe Latin for kicks.
ACT Comp.: 33

ECs:
- Stage Crew
- Basketball team manager and statistician
- Math tutoring
- Yearbook
- Volunteer sporadically when needed, though transportation out in the country is hard to come by.

Nothing incredible for ECs, really. I work in my spare time (freelance publication, website design and scripting, programming, graphic design) while learning and doing miscellaneous things such as Latin, Irish Gaelic, painting, Perl, etc. Anything that tickles my fancy, which seems to everything nowadays.

I belong to no clubs (our school has none), and I do not accept awards out of a silly personal belief of mine. Um... *thinks* am Asian-American, live in the country (typical house with a barn and many sheep), and never expected to do so well on the standardized tests. My application is going to be a very wild shot in the dark.

Philliesphan54: Though the SAT score is still good (1500 range, like Modestmouse said), I would suggest taking the ACT. It's simply one day out of your life *shrug*

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:29 am: Edit

I'm not sure about where I'm going to apply EA, but it could very well be Harvard. Just in case :-P

SAT I: 1600
SAT II: 800x3

ECs: Varsity football, school board president, co-editor newspaper + 3 year co-captain In the Know (quiz bowl team).

Those of you that have visited, what did you think? I'm not really sure what I was expecting going in, but I was most definitely impressed. Awesome people (who were NOT snotty) and an incredible campus, but the thing that impressed me most was the class I sat in on. It was an intro to psych class, where they were reviewing for a midterm, which sounds incredibly boring, right? Well, I sat there, riveted, for nearly 3 hours, while kids asked questions and the (amazing) prof went over parts of his powerpoints. I was about to enroll right then, and major in psych.

(and i like modest mouse)

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:57 am: Edit

Don't let Harvard suck you in! It almost got me! Apply to Yale!

By Patches (Patches) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I'm not trying to start a big Harvard/Yale argument, but why? (or, What made you choose Yale?)

By Julians (Julians) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

meh, might as well.

1600 (single sitting)

800 writing 800 literature 800 US Hist

Eagle Scout
Academic Team Captain
4-years Varsity Cross Country (I was 14th at a state-wide invitational in 10th grade, it has gone downhill from there:)

By Hunter1985 (Hunter1985) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Yay! ACT went up to 35!

SAT's were crap (630 writing not good, although 720 USHist and 760 Math II not bad), but like I said, circumstances at home prevented me from being in top form. Was going to retake regardless, still a good essay should make up for a "low" writing score.

Modest Mouse really whips the llama's ass (for WinAmp users)! Now eventually I'm going to find out what Bukowski is (I know he's an author..but about what?)

-Blame it on the weekends, god I need a cola now.

By Papucutta (Papucutta) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:12 pm: Edit

1520 (790v 730math-ouch)
800ic
790iic
770chem
720bio-m (ouch)
720writing(ouchouch)

red cross founder and prez
nhs vice prez
newspaper editor in chief
environmental club prez
project greenways prez (testing county water)
varsity tennis (state runnersup last yr, state champs this yr)
TONS OF VOLUNTEERING
Medical asst. at pediatrician's office
summer of genomic research--no PUBLISHED paper, but i did write a paper....

that's preetty much it. should i apply to harvard? i'm mainly looking at ba/md guaranteed med progs, but this is cool too.

By Modestmouse (Modestmouse) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Yes, Papacutta! You should apply to Harvard!

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Saturday, July 03, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

1550 sat (800 math)
800 physics 800 iic 750 writing
NJ governor's school of engineering and technology
president/tournament champion of chess club for 3 years
math club president
5 calc ab
5 physics b
4 chemistry ouch
gpa 3.9 uw
rank 7/220

By Justice (Justice) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Hey Just_Forget_Me,

just out of curiosity, was the prof. Dr. Fernald? I had him last summer at SSP for intro to psych. He is pretty amazing.

By U2tustp830 (U2tustp830) on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 12:54 pm: Edit

Hey everyone. If I were to give any of you a word of caution, it would be to CALM DOWN. Seriously, I know how it feels to be in your shoes, thinking about applying EA to Harvard at the end of my junior year, but why should you all be worried about your competition right now? There are going to be over 20,000 people applying to Harvard's Class of 2009 and not all of them (obviously) are going to post their stats here. So why worry about others and why stress yourself by comparing yourself to others on this discussion board right now? It's really not worth it. Just focus on yourself and if anything focus on your ESSAYS this summer, because now that so many kids have amazing stats its getting harder and harder to distinguish yourself in terms of standardized tests.

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

Justice-I'm not sure of his name, actually. I remember he was a bald guy, probably around forty, dressed pretty casually (jeans + a black turtleneck?). Does this sound like your prof? He looked almost, bikerish, and my dad said afterwards that he thought he was a tech guy at first, and not the prof.

Oh, and I just got back from a visit to Stanford, and I think I'm applying there EA. First off, I think I've probably got a better chance of getting in (and being accepted, SOMEWHERE, by mid-december would make my senior year so much more enjoyable). And second, as incredible as Cambridge is, the Northern California weather/natural beauty is so incredibly tempting! Well, odds are I won't get in both places, so maybe I won't have to make that big decision.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 12:44 am: Edit

Sorry guys, but Modest Mouse peaked years ago! Find new things to get into before it's far too late. ;)

Anyway, I'm going to apply EA, but Harvard really isn't high up on my list of places I want to go, so I'm not that worried about it. I do want to know, however, whether it will hurt me to send in the EA application with a "to take" date on the SAT I (I have a 1430 now 780 V/650 M, and I'm absolutely confident I can make the math 720+ to make at least a 1500 now) and then make them wait for the score report to come in November? And, likewise, I have to retake a third SAT II, and the score report would be coming just in time.

Will it hurt EA chances at all? I don't see how it wouldn't.

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 01:43 am: Edit

Willy-If Harvard's not your first choice, and you still want to take 2 more rounds of SATs, I'm not sure why you'd want to apply EA.

And while modest mouse might have already peaked musically, that sure wasn't the peak popularity-wise. I'm actually not that big of a fan (now, or a couple years ago when I first heard them) but I'm into that genre of music.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 07:27 pm: Edit

You're right, I really don't have a reason to apply EA, but I don't have the money to apply ED anywhere, and I just wanted an early letter in the mail. EA is nonbinding, and Harvard is the only school I'd definitely be able to pay for because of their initiatives.

By Justice (Justice) on Friday, July 16, 2004 - 08:55 pm: Edit

People say that it hurts to have not-the-best-you-can-have stats when you apply in the early round, because the pool is much stronger and it is more difficult to get in. I don't think it's the greatest idea to apply early just for the sake of doing it.
Just_forget_me- did the bald guy talk about psychotherapy? We had a guy just like you described for a speaker but not as the professor.

By Patches (Patches) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 12:18 pm: Edit

Modest Mouse hasn't peaked yet. I'd consider Lonesome Crowded West and Moon & Antartica to be equally amazing, and, while Good News.... isn't quite as good, it's a solid CD. They'll be making more great stuff in the future. Just imagine the fun Isaac will be having now that he's got a bigger audience to introduce to his band's unique abilities.

By Willywonka (Willywonka) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

"People say that it hurts to have not-the-best-you-can-have stats when you apply in the early round, because the pool is much stronger and it is more difficult to get in. I don't think it's the greatest idea to apply early just for the sake of doing it."

Hm, yeah, I thought about this too. But if my best-I-can-have stats arrive on time like they're supposed to before the EA round is over, I was mainly asking if having the lower scores until the newer ones arrived would be a problem. I don't think my stats are low enough to preclude me from Harvard, but almost. (780 V/650 M, 800 Writing, 800 American History, 650 Spanish)

By Just_Forget_Me (Just_Forget_Me) on Saturday, July 17, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

Justice-Glad to hear that there's more than one awesome intro to psych teacher at Harvard (though that's not surprising). The psychotherapy guy could be the same one. He didn't talk about that at the class I was at, but it could either have not been part of the intro class curriculum, or not something that was brought up for review.

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

I'm a very weird case. Try to figure out my chances of getting in

SAT I: 1360
ACT: 29
US HIST and WRITING: 720
MOLEC BIO: 740
IIC: 750
3rd in 287

RSI 2004 Participant
1000+ hrs of volunteering for church
150+ hrs of work during jr yr
2 jobs during the school year: cashier and researcher
completed 2 science projects
hold various other leadership positions
will enter INTEL and SEIMENS (keeping my fingers crossed for semi).
will be an author of a publication (keeping my figners about the publication date)

'94 vietnamese immigrant
low-income family (~13K income)

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

o right, can't forget about the grant NIH gave me.

By Mattlord (Mattlord) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

you know what really bums me?

people who come to these boards and plaster their accomplishments on every thread.

now i feel compelled to give my spiel on admissions, especially here on this thread:

whatever happened to living for yourself instead of living for admission to college? matriculating at harvard would be a dream come true for me, but i don't allow my life to revolve around it.

so many of the 22000+ applicants who apply to harvard do so because they've worked four years of their lives to construct a lame resume that summarizes their life in a few simple lines:

volunteer work at animal shelter/church/hospital: so and so hours.

president of so and so clubs.

state/national champion in such and such competition.

i've won my share of state and national awards, and i've done my share of volunteer work.

but what i don't do is wake up each day and wonder, "let me decide what harvard admissions counselors would like to see me do today."

if my intellectual, artistic, familial, and personal pursuits are not deemed worthy of admission to harvard, then so be it. but i'll be the one who will be able to sleep that night when the rejection letter comes knowing that despite my rejection i lived a life richer than some other kid who spent his days trying to conform to some standard that only exists in abstract prestige.

now, i'm not bashing anyone for their actions. i was once one of those kids who tried to seek out every possible opportunity to learn about harvard admits; my postings on this board show it. i am not ignorant to the desires that drive these actions; i know them intimately.

so i suppose my posting is nothing more than a caveat from a 17-year-old white gay boy from georgia who aspires to leave life richer than he found it, to breathe life with each breath, to find it in each moment.

and if harvard decides that my accomplishments are below par - if they decide i can't contribute to their university in ways others could - c'est la vie, et c'est si bon.

i don't need a harvard education to tell me that my existence is just as valuable as the next person's. further, that i actually think i'll be admitted to harvard is analagous to my thinking i could pluck a comet from the stars as it rounded the sun.

all that said, i sure would like one (a harvard education, that is).

i don't think i've ever mustered such self-confidence as i just have, but i honestly hope to communicate my mantra succinctly: don't throw your life away on prestige.

regards and cheers and best wishes to all havard early action applicants for the 2005-2006 academic year.

By Aph (Aph) on Monday, July 26, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

Thanks Mattlord for keeping things in perspective. I scrolled down and saw so many 1600's and presidents, and so many "what do you think my chances are?". If you have a 1600 and have good ECS, then I think you've been told by your peers plenty of times that you have a great chance of making harvard. I think everyone here knows that their stats are just about as good as it gets, and really guys, you don't need another poster saying, yes, of course you have a good shot. The thing that will probably make you or break you is the essay or interview, though probably the latter.

Sometimes I think the best award or title is "I'm happy, happy and confident about myself without anyone telling me so"

Anyways, gl to all H EA apps. I might be one after I visit my colleges this fall.

By Staticsoliloquy (Staticsoliloquy) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Don't assume that most of the people on this board do whatever it is that I do just for college. I didn't go to RSI because I wanted to get into Harvard or MIT. I didn't do four hour of research every day after school for the entire junior yr JUST to get into college. Some people here have genuine motives. They truly do enjoy what they do. Sometimes, I'm in the lab for 11 hrs, and the sole reason of doing it for college is not enough. I'm passionate about my work, and i'm eager.

By Aph (Aph) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

If you love what you're doing, that's great. Especially RSI, because I tried to get into that and didn't make it:( Nice job on making it! I have a friend who's in it right now and she's loving it.

But back on track, sometimes it feels like people consider CC like a college app, as if they have to list every single activity on here. I have seen tons of posts where people just list off their SATS, their grades, their ECS, and then ask, will this get me into harvard? Leave these for your app; sometimes some of us don't want to be bombarded by posts flaunting so many extraordinary scores. And flaunting is usually what happens, albeit in a modest way (if that makes sense)

Oh, there was a question in this thread about typing in acrobat 6. I found a way to fill in the app, but it's very tedious. You have to go to advanced options and choose the textbox and use it to fill in every single blank. Just create it over the spaces. Then use the hand tool and you can type in them. For checkboxes, you have to create the checkboxes and then check them yourselves with the hand tool again as well.

By Justice (Justice) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure acrobat6 allows you to type into the space and then save. At least it worked for me.

By Smiliekat (Smiliekat) on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

1520/800/800/740 (missing writing)
3 main ecs: radio show host, cancer research + project intern (2 different hospitals), founder/pres of chinese culture club
thats all you asked for.

By Oliviakang (Oliviakang) on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

1530 (780V, 750M)
800, 790, 750 (W/IIC/USH)

Junior Year GPA- 4.84 (6 APs: 5(USH), 5(EngLang), 5(CalcAB), 3(GermanLang), 5(Bio), 4(FrenchLang))

-Los Angeles Children's Chorus (involves in-and-out of country touring, regional festivals, cds, dvds, individual concerts, regular participation in performances with the L.A. Philharmonic and the L.A. Opera)
-Gumdo (A Korean sword-fighting Martial Art- NOT fencing)
-12 years Piano

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

SAT: 760M 730V (Retaking in Oct.)
SAT IIs: Taking in Oct.
ACT: 31
Class Rank: 5/385
GPA: 3.9uw 4.5w
6 APs
Pres. Student Govt.: Sophomore, Junior
Pres. Student Body: Senior Elect
Pres. National Honor Society
Capt. Debate Team, Sophomore, Junior
Physics & Chemistry Awards
Capt. Lacrosse: 3 Varsity Letters
Track: Freshman, 3 Varsity Letters
Girls State
Karate: Black Belt/Teach 5th Graders
Saxophone: 11 years (self-taught)
Loads of Community Service

Applying for NROTC scholarship.

Has anyone started on their essays?

By Justice (Justice) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Nice post mattlord i completely agree.

Ahh essays. I've tried to start and failed.

Is it even possible to write about philosophical ideas without sounding pretentious? For my light one I'm going to write autobiographically about stuff when I was like 4.

Btw, is anyone sending a picture? I'm pretty photogenic usually so I'm thinking about it.

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Navygrl, your cut.. because you cant count.

I asked for three top ECs and you wrote TEN!!

And then you ended it with ''loads of community service '' so for all I know... you were planning on writing more before you ran out of ego.

P.S. Justice what do you mean by light essay?

P.P.S. Navygrl I am just kidding.

By Qwert271 (Qwert271) on Monday, August 02, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

I am a recently-decided-to-apply-to-Harvard-EA-er:

1550 (800M)
800 IIC, 800 Chem, 760 Physics
School Math Team
Math tutoring
Basketball, recreationally

By Navygrl (Navygrl) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 09:03 am: Edit

David,

Sorry, guess I felt I needed to post everything because of my low SAT score for Harvard. I'm applying to Princeton and Yale also.

By Julians (Julians) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

I have decided NOT to apply EA to Harvard, despite my earlier intentions of doing so (in fact I'm not going to apply at all.) Here's hoping for Princeton ED!

By Perfectdark9 (Perfectdark9) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Asian, Pakistani.

SAT1, 1470. 800/790/790 in Chem/Math1c/Phys. Writing in October.

Published poet.
Have worked with the United Nations.
Editor College Magazine.

I wasn't going to take my SAT1 again... but if this is what I'm up against... should I take my SAT again?!?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Saturday, August 07, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I'm with you Julian. Right now, I am learning more towards a Yale EA.

Sorry guys.

By Justice (Justice) on Thursday, August 12, 2004 - 09:51 am: Edit

perfectdark9

perfect dark is the greatest game ever (im assuming n64)! my friends and i played that game everyday after school in middle school. if only it didn't lag.

i wouldn't retake at this point--you don't have much time and with high scores it's risky unless you're sure you can do better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page