POLI SCI and ANTHROPOLOGY at HARVARD

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: POLI SCI and ANTHROPOLOGY at HARVARD
By Etc87 (Etc87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:18 am: Edit

hey, i have a few questions about specific departments:

what do you all know about the political science program at Harvard? is it a department in need of a lot of changes or is it pretty solid? how's the faculty? and also, do you think that there are better schools to study polisci at, or is Harvard a pretty good choice?

also, does anyone know about the anthropology department, specifically biological anthropology? (same questions as above apply)

finally, if i was to double concentrate (i know about having to write a combination paper...) would that be a ton of work, especially at Harvard. perhaps even more than with other concentrations?

i've read about the stress level at Harvard and it sounds pretty harsh. for me, being in a high stress environment probably isn't the best. what do any of you harvard people think?

i'm trying to compare these 2 deparments to the ones at Penn. any help would be fantastic...

By Etc87 (Etc87) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

BUMP!

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:59 pm: Edit

At Harvard, "Political Science" is called "Government"... it is usually the #1 or #2 most popular department... something like 1 out of every 8 students at Harvard are in the
Gov. Department. The department is incredibly strong, and packed with big-name professors. Don't forget the close ties to the JFK School of Government (which is grad school only), but you can take some classes there as well...
On the bad side... since it is such a huge department, your lower division classes are huge... On the good side, starting your sophomore year, you also take a government tutorial, which has only about half a dozen students in each section...

By Jab93 (Jab93) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

By the way, Harvard also has an honors-only concentration called "Social Studies"... yes, I know it has a junior-high sounding name, but it is an outstanding cross-disciplinary major...
You basically get to design your own plan of action by selecting classes from:
government, economics, sociology, anthropology, history, psychology, etc...
You're supposed to come up with some sort of theme or rationale that ties your courses together...
You have to take one to two tutorials each year, which are small, intensive classes with only about half a dozen to a dozen other students... there are hundreds of different tutorials to choose from...
In the end, you are required to write a senior thesis that ties it all together...

As I said, it has a junior-high sounding kind of name, but at Harvard, it gets alot of respect... and you have immense control over devising a personal interdisciplinary curriculum covering all the social sciences.

By Etc87 (Etc87) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

any more input-

ESPECIALLY ABOUT ANTHRO?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page