IS HARVARD FOR ME?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: IS HARVARD FOR ME?
By Hopedart (Hopedart) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

I'm an international high school junior. I'm doing this big research on economics. If all goes well then I am on the verge of proving an hypothesis [ of econ.]. My stats are as follows?

I took the following AP tests
AP macroecon
AP microecon
AP calculus BC
AP english lit
AP Psychology

on the top 20th percentile [ sorry, i don't know the details]
My GPA [ weighted over a 4.0 scale] is 3.9.

I'm a member of the student leaders council.

I've done 100+ hours of community service at a juvenile detention center.
I'm on the board of a club called the drama and debating club.
I'm the program coordinator of Forum of Young Economists.

I am the editor of the school magazine.

I have contributed over 10 articles to a leading national newspaper and all of them have been published.

Do I have a chance?? Thanks.

By Willowlike (Willowlike) on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

I think that your research, and the national published articles sounds interesting and will help you stand-out, but Harvard also looks for top students—academically speaking. What are your AP scores? I think you have a chance????

By Hopedart (Hopedart) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

I just took the AP exams therefore I don't know the scores. I'm expecting 4 or above in all of them. I forget to mention my SAT score: 800 math and 750 verbal.

By Willowlike (Willowlike) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

I think it is quite possible that Harvard will want you. Your scores are great, especially math, and your ecs are outstanding. What other schools are you considering? MIT?

By Hopedart (Hopedart) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

I really don't know. I guess MIT is another viable option. But I heard you can cross register courses between H and M so does it really matter where you go?

By Jessc (Jessc) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 02:51 pm: Edit

You have the stats now make sure you get the recommendations. Those are what puts you above the others in the application pile.

By Hopedart (Hopedart) on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Thanks Jessc. I believe I should get good recommendations. Do you have any more pointers that could improve my chances?

By Docarchitect (Docarchitect) on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 10:31 am: Edit

If you really enjoy the volunteer work, keep it up, but if not, quit it right away and put that time and effort into the "real" things you're already working on: the economics research, the published papers. These are what make you stand out from the crowd.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page