Lots of $$$ == acceptance?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Lots of $$$ == acceptance?
By I10rooteu (I10rooteu) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

hey guys, i just had a conversation with an acquaintance of mine. That person argued that a contribution of $1 billion will get the donator's kid, not at all qualified, into that school 100%, even into the schools like HYPS. I was not convinced, and now ask for your opinion. What do you think? do you know any relevant precedent?

By Eediyn (Eediyn) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:25 pm: Edit

Duh! That's a shoo-in. (personal opinion)

By Kevinkleinz (Kevinkleinz) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Billion? Perhaps you meant million...as $1 billion is a sizeable fraction of Harvard's annual endowment (what is it, something like $19 billion?).

By Hons (Hons) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

a billion would get a horse, or plant, or gingerbread house, into HYPS.

By Kenenisa (Kenenisa) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

If somsone's dad were to give a billion dollars, the that means that this someone's dad had at least a billion dollars to give (probably like 20 billion, because who would give half of his money to a college?). Billionaires are famous. The kids of famous people, provided they have decent grades and decent scores, get into most of these schools.

Interesting story about a certain billionaire and Harvard (and no, it isn't Gates):
A certain person applied to Harvard business school and, to his anger, was rejected. He was shocked and slightly upset, but he kept on trucking and went to Columbia instead. Harvard probably wishes they had accepted him these days.
The man? Warren Buffet. He has over 30 billion dollars.

By Fprescott54 (Fprescott54) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

Why be bitter? I personally know several people who donated ~ 1 million to get into HYP. Did they deserve it? Probably not, but each student gave enough money for 6 other (more deserving) students to attend. Seems like a good trade off to me.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

What is the point of wasting 1 BILLION dollars $ on HYPS? THey are never worth that.

And yes, if some one could donate 1 bilion $ to Harvard, sure his son could get in 100% certain.

But again, it is not a fair deal though, because with 1 billion dollars you could do pretty much anything, ANYTHING. Give me 1 billion bucks and I will build another Harvard beside your home.

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:07 am: Edit

Give me a billion bucks and I'm living in Bali and Cannes and never sobering up.

By Sraid7777 (Sraid7777) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

that would utterly ridiculous to give 1 billion just to get into the school. To throw Larry Summers out- it might be worth it.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

And what, pray tell, is wrong with President Summers?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

yeah what's wrong with summers?

By Darkblade2487 (Darkblade2487) on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 03:10 am: Edit

Tsk...if you had one billion you might as well invest 90% of it...don't go to college, and enjoy life.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page