Waiting list

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Waiting list
By Researching (Researching) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 04:58 pm: Edit

Anyone know whether Harvard will be taking off any students of their waiting list..?

By Analogboy (Analogboy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

yea whats the deal

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:27 am: Edit

yeah, when are we gonna know that?

anyway Researching, see you at Stanford or Harvard

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:27 pm: Edit

Has anybody called?

By Analogboy (Analogboy) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

somebody call

By Researching (Researching) on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 03:30 am: Edit

I tried calling, they were pretty vague about it. The woman said that nothing's definite yet and that they'd let us know within 2 or 3 weeks, but surely they'd know by now whether they are going to the waitlist or not!

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I got in off the waitlist today... has anyone else? They're giving me a week to decide.

By Rageagnstessays (Rageagnstessays) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

wow congrats! i called this afternoon. man said the committee has been deliberating for 4 days over the waitlist candidates. also said everyone should get a response in 2 weeks. so...yeah, people are starting to get admitted. amazing, memtigers, you're one lucky dude/dudette!

By Alina (Alina) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:36 pm: Edit

when did u hear? and was it by phone? congratulations, if only....

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Thanks yall (: I'm still deciding...so I guess if I give up my spot it'll go to one of yall! yaay

Alina, yeah they called me on the phone to tell me. The girl that called was the area person. She was really sweet.

I was surprised because I didn't send them any new material, and I didn't think my application was all that strong.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Memtigers, where did you send your deposit?

i cant believe that they are taking people off...ohhh boyyyyy...

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Congratulations Memtigers! Good luck if you choose Harvard, good luck otherwise :).

P.S. Where are you going currently?

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

What areas do yall live in? Maybe they're doing it by region...? I'm in TN.

Evil_Robot, right now I've accepted MIT. I think I'll probably go there because it has a better CS-engineering department which is what I want to go into, but Harvard's a really good opportunity too...my parents and I are thinking it over.

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Oh the irony, I'm headed to TN!

Vandy :).

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

What did you do to get off the waitlist? Congratulations!

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

I have two friends going to Vandy!! (:

Howdydoody... I sent in my card. That was absolutely it. That's why it was such a shock.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

IM me sometime (: LadyStentora

By Pyrokinesis (Pyrokinesis) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:28 am: Edit

Congratulations, Memtigers!! Harvard and MIT are both excellent, you won't go wrong at either place...

By Researching (Researching) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:13 am: Edit

Congrats, Memtiger! err..but yea MIT's better for engineering, you'd be better off there..lol..but don't take my word for it, i'm waitlisted too!

By Amylase (Amylase) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:59 am: Edit

Congrats Memtiger,

Hope Crimson would get me in off the waitlist too

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

I would go to Harvard because there are more opportunities across the board. MIT might have better CS-engineering, but that might not be what you want to do a year from now. My friend thought he wanted to go to MIT last year for applied math/physics. He applied early to both MIT and Harvard. Got into both and after an agonizing decision chose Harvard and surprised us all. Now he is like the biggest Harvard supporter ever and he has also moved away from the techy stuff and has fallen in love with the social sciences and is a Government concentrator.

By Researching (Researching) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:34 pm: Edit

True, that Harvard does offer more oppurtunities, but what if a person two years down the road still wants to major in CS/Engineering, MIT would be surely be the better choice then, wouldn't it?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Harvard's CS/Engineering is still really good, and you can always cross-reigister at MIT if there are classes you really need. Academics don't really differ all that much school to school because you will still learn the same things and I highly doubt that she will be hindered in her career opportunities with a CS degree from Harvard.

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Memtigers, did you send any updates?

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

To Harvard when I was waitlisted? No...the only thing I've sent them since December was the waitlist card (with YES checked).

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 03:08 pm: Edit

I called the office today to see if I could visit overnight or something next week because when I visited campus their overnight program wasn't available. They're in reading period right now, so the guy I talked to seemed doubtful that I would be able to visit. If that's the case... I'll probably turn down the offer. I really wanted to be able to visit the school I'm going to attend ahead of time. It makes all the difference to me.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Congratulations, Memtier86. It will be interestng to see what you do about the waitlist offer. Before the call from Harvard, what college had you decided to attend?

To others on the waitlist: Everything that I've read indicates that Harvard takes students off the waitlist to fill gaps in its class.

Because Harvard has the highest yield of any college in the country, I don't think that it worries about whether students on the waitlist will come if they are offered a spot. I think that the kind of letters that waitlist student send to other colleges -- the letters that emphasize how the college is the student's first choice, and if chosen, the student definitely will come -- aren't necessary for Harvard.

If there are real updates to one's application such as if one has won a major award, that would be good to let the adcoms know about. Otherwise, though, I don't think that follow-ups are likely to influence the adcoms to accept a student.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

when you say they're in a reading period, do you mean that they're looking over our application and deciding now?

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

No, I think it's a reading period before their final exams...seems kind of early for that though? I don't know (:

Follow-ups were definitely not necessary as in my case.

Northstarmom, I had decided to attend MIT right down the river from Harvard.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

http://www.prstats.com/display.php?user=LadyStentora

if you wanted to look at stats or anything...my SAT scores were okay.

By German (German) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Congrats, Memtigers86: You have successfully fooled around with (almost) everybody here ...

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

What do you mean "fooled around with?"

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

I didn't post for my own glory... I thought it would be helpful for yall to know that they have gone to the waiting list.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

german, what's wrong with you? how could you tell her that she's lying when you have absolutely no idea... someone's jealous, i see.

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 07:56 pm: Edit

I say, congratulations Memtigers!!! You are very fortunate, but certainly also very deserving. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:48 am: Edit

When they say they are in reading period, that refers to the students. Reading period is the time at colleges (usually a week) where there are no classes and just preparations for finals. It wouldn't make too much sense for Memtigers to come because everyone would be in hardcore study mode and no classes would be in session.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 01:28 am: Edit

I'm calling admissions tomorrow to ask them if it's possible for me to visit though. I don't care so much about going to classes...I mean I *know* those are going to be good at Harvard. I really just want to see how the people are. That's really made up my mind about a lot of the colleges I've visited.

It would be really helpful to visit overnight or something, at least...plus, who could resist a visit to the Boston area... (: (I'm so completely in love with it)

Thanks for the good wishes! I hope yall get in too. I have another friend waiting (she also submitted the waiting list card), and she said that admissions told her she should hear within the next two weeks, if that's helpful at all. Where are all of yall going as of now? Anyone going to be in the Boston area anyways.. (:

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:00 am: Edit

Memtigers:

IF you do visit Harvard, there is a math class which will be meeting next Monday and Wednesday. It's Math 138, Classical Geometry. It meets in the Science Center from 4 to 5:30. Students will be presenting their end of year projects. But other than the scattered classes that will still be meeting during reading period, it's true that students will be in serious study mode.

By Alina (Alina) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:43 pm: Edit

is there only one cc person who got off the waiting list??

By Hons (Hons) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

yea, that is just wierd it seems, they are either being really stingy with the waitlist this year, or the quality of the CC community has gone down (i'm guessing the former option is the correct one).

By Alina (Alina) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:08 pm: Edit

do u think no1 else will get off?

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 10:59 pm: Edit

I thought that was weird too...and the admissions person returned a phonecall I made to her yesterday and told me that indeed it isn't really possible to visit Harvard overnight right now because the students are in hardcore study mode. She also told me that admissions mailed me (and the other people that got off the waitlist) more information about Harvard and a sort of acceptance letter thing yesterday, so she told me I should receive it by this weekend. There is a possiblity that yall could get this same letter...she may have just gotten in touch with me because she is my region person.

Also, I talked with a guy that goes to Harvard right now (a junior) for about an hour on the phone today. His brother and my dad work together, so that's how I got his number. He seems very enthusiastic...so it's really making the decision a tough one.

I wish I could stay overnight... ):

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:07 pm: Edit

I stayed overnight there with a friend there who really loves it there. If you have any questions about my opinions of my visit or the thoughts of my friend. Email me at the address in my profile. I ended up not choosing to go there, but that was because Yale was always my first choice. I never really wanted Harvard until I visited there (I never saw it as a place where I would be very happy and I just thought people chose it solely because of the prestige) and I realized what an amazing place it is. I came very close to choosing it over Yale.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

memtigers, i really appreciate you posting all the information you found out. thanks a lot and good luck with your great options!

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

It's really no problem (: Hey...I'd hope the same from someone else with information I was really interested in!! Plus, there WAS indication that multiple people will be accepted off the waitlist, so that is exciting. Hmm...has anyone tried calling the office up there? Or perhaps calling their regional person? (mine was the girl that came to visit my school and did the talk with duke and two other schools at a local hotel) They might know something now. There's hope :D

Chasgoose, I sent you an email though not long because I'm about to hit the hay (sleep). Final AP test tomorrow *grumbles* Is anyone else feeling a heavy case of senioritis? It seriously didn't hit me until 2 weeks ago...but now it's just really bad. (my classes are over thankfully...we got out of school in April)

Anyone else that visited Harvard overnight? I would really appreciate your input!!

By Marite (Marite) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:22 am: Edit

Memtigers:

If you want to overnight, you don't need to go through the admissions office. Could the student with whom you talked host you for the night on the understanding that he would not be responsible for you for the rest of your stay (he does have finals)? My S visited Princeton and was hosted that way by a student we know slightly through his dad.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Well...the problem is he's male (: I'm female. My parents would definitely not go for that. I could try asking him if any of his friends would be willing, though they're juniors, so I'm not sure how hectic things are for them right now. Good idea though...I"ll ask!

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:00 pm: Edit

To update: Today my admissions material came via FedEx Saturday delivery. It appears to be everything they sent the people that were admitted early. Possibly some of this is stuff you got after you decided to go to Harvard and sent in your card? First-Year housing all that.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Memtigers,
Reading period is an absolutely horrible time in which to visit. Students are in major hardcore study mode because at Harvard, students spend lots of time during the school year doing ECs. Reading period is when students do much of their academic work. If you go now, you'll assume that Harvard students are always mega stressed out, and that they usually do nothing but study. Students, understandably, now are also not in good moods so may say things about Harvard that they wouldn't during a less stressed time.

If you go now, however, realize that Harvard is ahead of most colleges in the country because Harvard gives students a reading (i.e. study) period of, I think, a couple of weeks. Some colleges literally start exams right after courses end for the semester.

The reading period is why Harvard students can do ECs at a professional level. An example is the Crimson, a daily newspaper that is run by college students, who even oversee the adults who handle the technical end of the press run. Most of the college students running the Crimson don't even plan to be journalists. Some even are pre med and work (i.e. volunteer, since most don't get paid) at the Crimson as many as 30 hours a week simply for the fun of it.

Of course I am prejudiced and think that Harvard is the better choice than is MIT, though MIT is a wonderful school. If you are very narrowly focused on math/computers/engineering, MIT is the place to go. If you also like ECs, other subjects, being around people with a variety of academic interests, Harvard is the place to go. Harvard has more females, too, if that's a consideration.

Best of luck to you! You have wonderful options.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 02:12 pm: Edit

No they sent all that stuff in the regular admissions packet. I think they realize that not many people are going to turn them down.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Because I cannot visit I will probably not accept the offer, though my parents and I are still talking it over. My dad kind of wants me to go to H. Mom to M.

By Jmancer (Jmancer) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

does anyone know how many people harvard plans to take from the WL this year?

By Samysmiley (Samysmiley) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

I called today and asked what the status was on the waiting list and the lady said

"If you haven't heard by now....you'll get your decision in a couple of weeks."

I think she means that if we haven't heard by now, we didn't make the cut

By Jmancer (Jmancer) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

The way I understand the WL process is that after some initial gap filling, schools are waiting for a trickle down from the top. I know this year Harvard is actively using their WL. So kids who are accepted from their WL are opening spots up across the nation, and the process continues on from there.

From what I have gathered, many top schools are using the WL: Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Brown, Penn, Columbia and many more.

I know that MIT, Yale, and Dartmouth have not used theirs yet.

Is my assessment correct? Any input or additions on the top schools which are using their WL?

Additionally, I am specifically concerned with Dartmouth's b/c I am on it.

By Hons (Hons) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Jmancer, have you heard of anyone besides Memtigers getting off of the Waitlist? I ask only because that would be very encouraging.

By Jmancer (Jmancer) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:50 pm: Edit

sorry, i have not. My information is based on looking up the WL discussions in the Ivy and Stanford sections.

However, when I called Dartmouth today, the lady told me that Harvard was using their WL and they expected to be affected. Thats all I can tell you, sorry.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

What jmancer said makes a lot of sense... the only girl accepted from my school has similar stats and ECs to mine, so that may be why I was accepted (as a gap-filler). (She turned down Harvard because of the weather actually.)

I think I'm calling them tomorrow to turn down the offer, so I hope that will open up spots for some of yall.

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:29 pm: Edit

As for the Brown waiting list, I have two friends that are/were on it. One has received notification that she has not been accepted, and the other hasn't heard anything (which I'm seeing as an optimistic thing!).

As for MIT, they are definitely not going to the wailist. They're already overenrolled...they had a 66 percent yield this year, which I think surprised them a lot.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

People on the Yale board recieved a letter saying that Yale was most likely not going to take anyone off the waitlist unless enough people leave this year's class.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

So would you expect that Harvard is still taking people off of the waitlist, even though the woman gave some discouraging news over the telephone?

By Jmancer (Jmancer) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:17 am: Edit

what did she say?

By Ulaia (Ulaia) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 12:50 am: Edit

I talked to the Harvard Admissions officer for my area (Houston) today. She said she doesn't know that much about the wait-list besides that they have already contacted several dozen already. Yikes! That's already a lot of people so I figure, unless those people turn Harvard down, the rest of us simply won't make it into round two.

By Guydollofer (Guydollofer) on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Memtigers, did anyone else in your school get accepted to Harvard and turn them down... Also, do you know anyone else who is on Harvard's waitlist list?

By Memtigers86 (Memtigers86) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:33 am: Edit

I turned Harvard down this morning. ): It was really sad, but I decided that if I couldn't visit, I wasn't sure if it was the place for me or not! I will however be taking classes there next year because I'm going to cross-reg from MIT. Hooray!

Guydollofer, yes one girl was originally accepted from my school and turned them down. We were very similar applicants, so they may be why I was offered admission.

And, yes I know another girl from my school who is still waiting on Harvard's list, and then I know one person who, like me, got off Harvard's wait list. The second person however chose to attend Harvard next year and is really excited about it!

I wish yall the best of luck. I hope that if you make it in, you'll come visit me at MIT.

By Jmancer (Jmancer) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:32 am: Edit

where was she previously enrolled?

By Wordsunspoken6 (Wordsunspoken6) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I was rejected from the waitlist today, woohoo! (note the sarcasm)

By Alina (Alina) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

wordsunspoken6, where do u live?

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Wordsunspoken, I'm sorry to hear about that. Did they notify you by a letter?

By Wordsunspoken6 (Wordsunspoken6) on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

yeah, i got a letter.

i live in massachusetts! damn proximity to the school.

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:01 pm: Edit

today i got off of the waitlist...and into the rejection pile!

By Alina (Alina) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Benedwodo sorry, but where do u live?
im in ny and i didnt get any letter

By Benedwodo (Benedwodo) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:02 pm: Edit

I'm in CT, so I guess you should get one soon. I liked Harvard but I'm super excited about where I'm going next year, so it's all good.

By Snookumms1 (Snookumms1) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Got my waitlist rejection letter today too....oh well. :(. Tufts it is :)

By Meowmeow (Meowmeow) on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:13 pm: Edit

didn't get off the waitlist here either. live in california.

oh well!

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 07:52 pm: Edit

has anyone who's been waitlisted NOT gotten a letter yet?

im in Ohio, and i still havent gotten one. this is bothering me. maybe they never received my waitlist response card?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I'm waitlisted at Harvard, and i still haven't got anything. I live in China though, it should take longer.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

I'm waitlisted and haven't gotten anything. i'm from miami. don't worry- i called the school and spoke with my admissions officer, and there aren't any problems. so maybe no news is good news?

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

any updates?

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 06:10 pm: Edit

still nothing...

i think i may call tomorrow, just to check up :)

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

According to the Wall Street Journal, Harvard plans to take 55-65 kids off this year, up from 40 last year.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

do you know how many decisions they are still holding? i meant to call them today, but had to do an emergency run to the school. i'll be out all tomorrow afternoon too.

how much hope should we have left??

55-65...doesnt sound like a lot.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

For Harvard, it does. It sounds pretty darn good.

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 11:21 pm: Edit

yea, but i think a lot of people have already been contacted...

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

why are they still holding ours???

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 03:01 am: Edit

Maybe because they are thinking of accepting you. Would u go there over Cornell?

By Starbucks (Starbucks) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:08 pm: Edit

hmm. well i would go there over penn

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:41 pm: Edit

yeah, i would go to Harvard over Cornell as well. i'd be happy at both places. really, i just want closure to this whole college application process.

By Waitinaround (Waitinaround) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 10:18 am: Edit

would you? i'm unsure.
im a NYS resident on both waiting lists and i need HELP. if i got off both, cornell would be cheaper. i'm going for biology. what would you do? it stresses me out.

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 02:59 pm: Edit

well if i lived in Cornell and applied to one of the state-funded schools, then i would probably stay at Cornell.

its the same cost for me and their biology programs are both amazing. if i choose the engineering route, i can cross-reg with MIT at Harvard so thats not a problem.

i'd really just go there to be in Boston. Ithaca, though nice, is not nearly as exciting or as good of a college town as Boston/Cambridge.

i should go check my mail today and see if my rejection came yet :)

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 11:26 pm: Edit

where's my rejection? hell where are ALL of our rejections? has anybody found that wsj article and posted it because i can't get my hands on it. or does anybody just know anything. i called cornell and harvard and they dont even seem to know lol

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 09:46 am: Edit

I have received my official wait-list rejection. I live in china, by the way.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Sorry, Amylase. Still, Stanford is a great school. Excellent curriculum, friendly people, gorgeous campus, wonderful weather. Trust me, Harvard students do lots of California Dreaming when their long winters start.

By Cmr (Cmr) on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 09:19 am: Edit

Has anyone else heard anything about the wait-list. Has anyone received any other rejection letters. thanks

By El_Diablo (El_Diablo) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

Im sorry to hear that Amylase :(

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

who so far has gotten in? all i can remember is that memtigers got in and turned down.

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 03:06 pm: Edit

also, whats the latest they will let us know?

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

bump

By Nannabanana08 (Nannabanana08) on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 05:11 pm: Edit

That's weird... surely they've already made their decisions. Perhaps they are still waiting to see if those they took off the waitlist are planning to attend.

By Multinational (Multinational) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 04:48 am: Edit

Amylase,

Where in China do you live and which university are you attending right now? I'm curious because you are only 16 years old. I find it incredible that you are rejected considering your outstanding academic achievements. But then, Harvard receives several hundred applications from CHina each year and never admits more than 4 of them. I'm sure living in Germany has helped me a lot for admission to Harvard.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Multinational,

I'm not attending any university in china, I'm just a high school dude. And if you mean where i'm going to college next year, well Stanford (since H turned me down). Congrats on your admissions to H.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

Where in CHina do I live?

I'm not living in a large city like Beijing or Shanghai. I'm from a small town in north-east China which you might never have heard of even if you are Chinese.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Northstarmom,

Thank you for your words of encouragement, you deserve the name. It really gives me a warm feeling when you speak out "mom".

El Diablo,

Ok, things didn't work out for me. Hope you all the best at Harvard (though i won't be there with you). If you happen to come to California or stanford on a visit, don't forget amylase.

By Researching (Researching) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 10:02 am: Edit

Amylase, I got my rejection letter too, looks like its Stanford for us after all

By Mintbee (Mintbee) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:41 am: Edit

you guys are SO aaaaargh. you get into stanford and are like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, effing ••••, looks like its stanford for us AFTER ALL" like you DONT WANT TO GO TO STANFORD???!! you make me mad, i'm really sorry that you COULD NOT GET INTO HARVARD OFF THE WAITING LIST.

seriously, GET A LIFE.

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

hm, im not trying to be evil but i agree to a certain degree

By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 04:43 am: Edit

Amylase: I'm sorry that you didn't get into Harvard, but know this: Stanford isn't just a school for Harvard rejects. I turned down Harvard for Stanford, and so did a lot of other Stanford students. Of course, a lot of people also went the other way. The point is, the two schools are comparable across the board. So, don't worry, and if you don't like Stanford, well, there's no money-back guarantee, but if I ever meet you out there I'll buy you lunch or something. :)

P.S.: What courses are you thinking of taking next year?

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

called today.
waitlist closing date: June 30.
booooooooooooooooooooo!

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, June 14, 2004 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Thank you Chrisq, you made me feel much better. I only have the IHUM course catalog, so I picked some courses from that booklet (my #1 Conflict, Cooperation and Human Nature). I didn't receive any other course catalog, and the mailing checklist says they are not sending Stanford Bulletins overseas.

Great to know you chrisq, i'll definitely meet you sometime when I get to Stanford.

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 08:07 pm: Edit

i guess weve given up?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Sunday, June 20, 2004 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I also rejected Harvard for Stanford. But man Amylase, you make it seem like Stanford is some sort of backup school :(

I got rejected from the Princeton waitlist though. Maybe that makes both Harvard and Stanford into Princeton-reject schools! :)

By Kmj19_2000 (Kmj19_2000) on Tuesday, June 22, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

i'm jealous of you all. I'm on the wait-list at Stanford. I just wanna get in

By Cmr (Cmr) on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

any other news on waitlist is anyone sure how many they have actually already taken off the waitlist

By Cmr (Cmr) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 01:03 pm: Edit

anything yet waitlist closing date is June 30 or July 1

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:16 am: Edit

Hey,
FINALLY I heard some news. An admissions officer called me today and admit me to the class of '09! I can't believe it! Now I have a year to work and pay my way to Harvard as well as take some relaxation time. Good luck guys, all my best to you.
Peace.

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 03:25 am: Edit

t

By Cmr (Cmr) on Wednesday, June 30, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Did admissions say when you will receive information in the mail.

By Cmr (Cmr) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 10:13 am: Edit

Bigsisdan that is great! Did they tell you when they would mail out information confirming.

By Cantona (Cantona) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit

I am on the waitinglist at harvard. However, I havn't heard any news yet. I live in Thailand by the way. It's July 3rd, Does this mean I have no more chance?..cause if harvard is gonna admit me they would do so long ago

By Cantona (Cantona) on Friday, July 02, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

thinking again..if they are going to reject they'll do so long ago....

By Cantona (Cantona) on Sunday, July 04, 2004 - 01:41 pm: Edit

still havn't heardddd....grrrrhhh

By Bigsisdan (Bigsisdan) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 01:55 am: Edit

hey
got mail this weekend while i was in dc visiting a cousin
they sent me a packet saying 20% of kids take a year off so ill jstu be joining them and a little packet of what to do etc
hang in there guys

By Bvguy (Bvguy) on Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Where are you guys that got in currently/previously committed?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page