Not that this is a banal topic or anything: CHANCES?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Not that this is a banal topic or anything: CHANCES?
By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:56 am: Edit

Hey, I am just looking for some feedback and/or advice. Thank you for your honest (even if brutal) comments; I appreciate your help a lot!

SAT I:
Overall - 1580
Math - 800
Verbal 780

SAT II (I just took them...these are predictions):
Writing - 710-750
Math II-C - 780-800
US History - 740-770
(I may take Chemistry - I should be in the 720-760 range)

Curriculum - most vigorous possible (including 9 AP classes by the end of senior year and 3 years of coming to school 50 minutes before anyone else to take an extra class - 0-mod)

Unweighted grade - 92%
Rank - by the end of this year, my weighted rank will be in the top 10%, but my unweighted rank may not even be in the top 15%....my class has 515 people and my school is highly competitive....I believe we have some type of "consent release" policy which means that my awful unweighted rank may not even be released (I'm not sure)....the problem in my rank is in my freshman year, when i earned straight 88s because i was too stupid to do any work....my last two years have been decidedly solid

Other academic stuff -
top 10 in my school in the Chem Olympiad and American Mathematics Competition (AMC-12)

Extra-curricular -
National Honors Society member (for which I tutor other high school students)

Futre Business Leaders of America member - placed 7th in the state at "Mr. Future Business Leader" event (the most competitive and comprehensive event); I will probably be Treasurer next year

DECA (Marketing) member - placed 1st in South Jersey at "Sports and Entertainment Marketing" both in overall and role play; won top award at state competition for the test portion for the same event

Community Service - over 1,300 hours of helping the elderly with computers at the Golden Age Senior Care Facility; helped the school and library; participated in events with the Jewish Relief Association

World Affairs Club - Steering Committee member; Lenape Model Congress – earned highest award, “Top Speaker”. Moorestown Model United Nations – earned highest award, “Best Delegate”. Participated in the following mock International Court of Justice, UPENN Model United Nations, Rutgers Model United Nations, two (2) South Jersey Model United Nations (once as a chair), two (2) Eastern Model United Nations, Rutgers Model Congress on an advanced committee, succesful fund-raising.

Sports - Captain of South Jersey All-Star Volleyball Team (17s). Started JV for Freshman and Sophomore years for Eastern Volleyball. 2004 Varsity player for Eastern Volleyball (as a Junior). Bob Bertucci Volleyball Camp participant. Eastern Volleyball Camp participant. Karate – black belt; assistant instructor. Decorated ballroom dancer (won a total of six (6) gold medals in amateur career).

Arts - played piano for 7 years, mostly for fun; selected as one of four instrumental soloists from Eastern High School to participate in Arts for Teens; I DJ for fun; also, I have a CRAZY music collection of 4,000 songs

Work - I worked as a special marketing consultant for Horn and Handart Bakery Cafe in Philly; also, I made my own company under my dad's name to create websites and ads for companies

I have an extensive knowledge of Macromedia Flash, Macromedia Dreamweaver, Macromedia Fireworks, Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office, and Microsoft Windows.

This summer, I will be in the Camp Business summer program (sponsored by Commerce Bank and Drexel Business School (LeBow)....this program only takes 100 people from the tri-state area....upon completion of the camp, I will work at Commerce for the rest of the summer.

Also, I was born in Ukraine and moved here when I was 5. I speak/read/write Russian fluently.

My essays should be fairly good.
My recommendations are coming from the Vice-Principal of the school (who taught one class all year: my AP U.S. History class), my Econ teacher, and my guidance counselor (who graduated from UPENN)

I am fairly sure that my two glaring weaknesses on all my apps will be my unweighted class rank (because of freshman year) and my lack of any legacy

Majors: Marketing, International Business, and foreign affairs

Please give me any comments/feedback/recommendations you have (be as brutally honest as possible!)...THANK YOU!

By Saxfreq1128 (Saxfreq1128) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

hmmmmmm. If I were on the adcom, I'd definitely give you a strong consideration. You're actually INTERESTING (unlike other pple that post on the board!). You've got significant involvement in a good number of activities, and you've actually won awards to prove it. Good sports stuff, good SAT scores (even thought I don't trust "predicted" scores). I wouldn't worry about your freshman year, the upward trend is key. Yeah, I think you'll get in. Good job. :-P Where else are you applying, do you think?

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

thank you!....the predicted scores are based on how I have done on practice tests if I took any/how well i know the subject/the feeling I had after taking them.....but i do know that all of that amounts to nothing....
I think I will apply ED to UPENN/Wharton...RD to the following:
harvard
princeton
yale
columbia
nyu - stern
mit - sloan
rutgers
the college of new jersey

By Saxfreq1128 (Saxfreq1128) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:38 pm: Edit

Nice, I prefer TCNJ over Rutgers (I'm from 'jersey also). Are you going to Governor's School this summer?--wait, you're a Junior right?

By Haruhara (Haruhara) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

i'm going to governor's school this summer (engineering and technology).

By Saxfreq1128 (Saxfreq1128) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Me too! For Arts--Creative Writing. Congrats on Engineering, none of my friends got in.

By Dostoyevsky (Dostoyevsky) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

nah....i could have gone to governor's school for foreign affairs, but i chose to stay home (i have a girlfriend that i woul have missed (awww, right?)...instead, i am going to canada for a little, then i will have a two week internship for the Democratic Party and then i will attend Camp Business (as noted in my descprtion of myself)...after camp business, i think i will work for commerce....so although the governor;s school thing is very attractive, my summer will NOT be less action-packed

any more input on my chances??

By Spacecadet (Spacecadet) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Ooo...banal. That's anal with a B.

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 12:15 am: Edit

you are in for sure (i think) ---GOOD LUCK!=)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page