Having fun, working, and being happy at Harvard??! (can this

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Having fun, working, and being happy at Harvard??! (can this
By Fushia183 (Fushia183) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

i was wondering, are harvard students generally really happy? even over other students at ivies/top lac and other good schools?

for a student not persuing an applied science (ie. physics, chem), what would you say is the amount of studying the student usually does? do people get very stressed out of is it really easy to balance school, friends, working out, extra ciriculars, and having fun?

also, i need a lot of sleep. do you know about how much sleep the average student at the college is able to get (minus the amount of time they spend partying or out late at night). Basically, with having a life, are people able to rest and stay awake during the day or are they walking zombies?

thanks!

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

its ok but harvard students are not as happy as students at places like williams, yale, dartmouth or even MIT

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:12 pm: Edit

Chemy, are you telling us this from experience, or just from what you think you know about Harvard?

By Hoping (Hoping) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

brownalumn,you are not allowed to comment on the harvard thread!!

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

nah ive visited harvard a few times ... also who is "brownalumn"?

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:38 pm: Edit

chemy you already got busted. You know what i think? I think you're just a lil kid in high school who wants to go to yale badly. very badly.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

lol... busted? i hardly ever post here.. and doestn evryone want 2 go 2 yale or harvard? i mean if u got into yale or harvard wouldnt u go?

By Asterix (Asterix) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 04:51 pm: Edit

No that doesn't make sense, if it was a kid then he'd want people NOT to go to Yale to increase his chances (though obviously that logic is flawed).

By Ct04 (Ct04) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Uh, more on topic, I think that most LA students don't have much work compared to the other majors (no problem sets, just tons of reading etc which a lot of people blow off). Balancing activities is very hard at any school, it's just a matter of what you yourself are prepared to take on. Sleep is another thing you're gonna have to get used to skipping, you're not always gonna get 8 hours a night so be prepared. Overall, Harvard's social life is not quite as good as Yale's (and I'm not even quoting that Crimson article, I have this on a first-hand basis and will gladly provide names of students I have heard this from), but you can obviously find whatever you want. Harvard students are happy, but I've HEARD they tend not to be as happy as Yalies. That, I'll admit, is biased hearsay (woo Yale), but not as happy as Yalies can still be pretty damn happy. Overall, I think it just depends on your personality and what you're willing to take on, there are no real hard examples.

By Fushia183 (Fushia183) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 05:13 pm: Edit

are people however too overloaded with work and somewhat miserable? that's the way high school has been for me and although i don't want college to be really easy, i don't want to get myself into too much and just be as unhappy about school (ie. lack of sleep, studying all the time, not going out enough) when i'm in college.

does this apply to harvard, any thoughts?

and also, does anyone know how harvard (in terms of this area) compares to penn?

By Vecter (Vecter) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

chemy i turned down harvard and princeton to go to MIT...i don't think what you say is true, tho statistically it may be "more" true

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:04 pm: Edit

thats good, i know ppl who turned down harvard for MIT too.. MIT is supposed to be more fun anywayz

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:08 pm: Edit

My friend turned down MIT for Harvard because he wanted a more well-rounded education, which was good because he has discovered his love of the social sciences and will most likely either be a government or social studies concentrator.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

I didnt get the impression that the studants at Harvard were unhappy at all during the pre frosh weekend. Everyone was friendly and talkative, and genuinely interested in helping you around campus and showing you what the university has to offer. The social life varies, but in general I think people are a little more mature when it comes to parties than at other schools. If you want a wild social scene go to Ohio State. At Harvard people are really dedicated to and focused on their academic and extracurricular interests, and because of this people not familiar with the University assume that Harvard students are all miserable workaholics and do not understand the concept of fun. At MIT, fun on campus may be limited to getting plastered every weekend at a frat. You can do that too at Harvard, but most people find more creative and interesting things to do as well as people to meet and talk to and learn from.

Furthermore, Boston is THE most exciting college town in the country, and many students take full advantage of all the cultural and social scenes it has to offer. You can easily meet people from BU, MIT, BC, Northeastern, Babson, Wellesley and Tufts (to name a few) who flock to the city each weekend.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Yes, i do know of a girl who turned down mit to go to harvard this year.

now about this mysterious "chemy" persona which pretends to be an innocent high schooler CC participant...(i know im obsessing over this but bear with me)

clues that chemy is indeed brownalum:

1. The disappearance of the characters "brownalum" and "brunoiana".
- around the end of april, brownalum stopped posting and this person called brunoiana popped up suddenly. He then stopped posting and doesn't have any recent posts.

2. The appearance of "chemy"
- Chemy started posting towards the end of April. Try a message search in his name, and you won't see any posts dated before April 20th or something like that.

3. Similarities in the stat-driven posts of the three supposedly different characters.

This is a stats post by brownalum.
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/4/54790.html

This is a stats post by chemy.
http://www.collegeconfidential.com/discus/messages/4/63615.html

Notice how the formatting of the two stat listings are quite similar...in fact, the stats are identical.

So there you have it. Brownalum = chemy. Though I should commend you, brownalum, on your stealthy change in persona. I love how you intentionally misspell words and use internet slangs to present yourself better as a high school kid.

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Oh yes, and I think it won't be long before brownalum/brunoiana/chemy will come up with a new alias and a personality. Who knows, next time, he may claim to be the president Bush himself and troll for Yale once again.

Props to your persistence.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:48 pm: Edit

of course they are the same, i was just going back and copying them from a thread on political science

most ppl find it helpful when ppl post rankings from a reputable source like that.... i dont know why you are on this trolling kick trying 2 say i am someone else.... r u threataned by the stats or something?

By Canadian_Idol (Canadian_Idol) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

my GOD.

If you will take a moment and notice that your post, chemy, has another row of numbers on it while brownalum's post had only one row of stats? So did you then just formulate a whole set of fake stats after you've copied them from brownalum, aka yourself?

And no, i am not threatened by stats. I am, however, aware that they are not the most reliable indicators in determining the quality and the fit of a school for individuals.

I should say, though, I find all of this pretty amusing. I have no idea why you still try.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Chemy (brownalum) are you joking? Do you really think we're so simple minded that you can switch aliases and not expect to be noticed? Your Chemy rhetoric mirrors all your prior CC names.

I dunno, maybe brownalum's just being really witty right now and we're not getting it.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 08:20 pm: Edit

umm.m...... i copied the site they were from , not the numbers.... duh...
why are you on this trolling kick?

By Eediyn (Eediyn) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit

This is so funny! It's even funnier if Chemy is not Brownalum. LOL!

By Nannabanana08 (Nannabanana08) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Chemy, if everything that Canadian Idol pointed out was not enough to tip us off, there is one more OBVIOUS thing that would tip us off: You (brownalum, brunoiana, etc.) are the only person on CC that repeatedly comes on the Harvard thread and bashes Harvard/promotes Yale. Please, everyone else who comments on, visits, etc. the Harvard section of CC does so because they are interested in Harvard; not because they have some sick hobby of bashing Harvard and attempting to belittle it. If we are of the Harvard "caliber" we are intelligent enough to detect patterns. So please, do something more productive with your life. (And stop posting on the Harvard threads because 1) you waste your time because we do not care about your stats that indicate Yale is better 2) the point of this board is to better inform students about Harvard and what Harvard has to offer. Not Harvard in comparison to Yale).

By Ambitiousyokel (Ambitiousyokel) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Even if you aren't brownalum, whom no one likes, could you still leave? See above. It's just tiresome to have to read through your posts while scrolling down to others that are more substantive.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

i'm not bashing harvard.. im just ansering questions that people ask about it

since you are harvard lovers of course youre made at me if you like harvard and i say something bad about it.... but that dosnt mean i should stop ansering pppl's questions about it :)

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:18 pm: Edit

why dont you let those of us who actually go there answer the questions, chemy?

As always, you want the truth, email or IM me at Rourke02

By Hoping (Hoping) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

chemy,i have a new name you can use now that youve been busted-----EDITED. what do you think? pretty good huh?

Pretty good huh? Actually it is so good that it earned you a prize at CC: you're the first poster banned today. Goodbye, Hoping!
Moderator Trinity

By Chemy (Chemy) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

why should we let only u answer the questions when u are so clearly biassed?

just wondring :)

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Wow if that wasn't a classic Brownalum attack of Hstudent I don't know what was.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

AW, Chemy. *pat pat* Y'know, I'm sorry that you didn't get into Harvard (or if you're not yet a senior, you won't). Yale, Stanford and Princeton are also excellent options. If you work hard enough they might let you in for grad school.

But probably not.

By Knightmare (Knightmare) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

Just as a neutral spectator, I would just like to point out how "Chemy" has never once vehemently or even clearly denied that he is Brownalum/Brunoiana.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

whoa.. r all harvard ppl as rude and obknocxius as u guys?

and knightmare, yes i have!! i even dont know who they are talking about.

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:35 am: Edit

I am a Yale person, Brownalum.

By Nannabanana08 (Nannabanana08) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:36 am: Edit

chemy, it's one thing to promote a school but it's another to degrade another. I am shocked that you could possible attempt to discredit the school that is ranked #1!!!!! Even if it were ranked 3 or 15 or 50, it is obviously still an incredible school, no questions asked. And in that same respect, Yale is also an incredible school. None of us are debating that. We are simply asking you to direct your posts towards the Yale board and stop posting on the Harvard board. If you perceive me as rude, I am sorry that you live your life so narrow-mindedly that you would call anyone who defends their school rude. This is not a personal attack, but rather a rather polite way of begging you, once again, to leave.

One more thing. You say HStudent is biased? Should he not be? He goes there! I think that his opinions should surely be more accurate and knowledgeable. When people ask questions such as the one on this thread, I definitely think they are looking for an answer from someone that actually GOES there; not from someone who visited there a couple of times.

By Chemy (Chemy) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 08:43 am: Edit

if "they" only want 2 hear a onesided opinion from a harvard shill.... well that means "they" r just coming here 2 hear what they want 2 hear...

there r other ppl who want honest opinions from other perspetives... and im sorry if there r a few pro-harvard trolls who have problems with that :)

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I am very pro-Harvard (with good reason) but I am in no way a troll - ask anyone who has contacted me outside of CC - I give the good and the bad

Oh yeah, with regard to the threads title, the answer is YES, and its what people do...

By Nannabanana08 (Nannabanana08) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Yes Chemy... we do want to hear other opinions from other perspectives. But unfortunately for us your perspective is unfounded since you NEVER ATTENDED HARVARD!!!! I agree that Harvard does have its flaws, but I find it extremely offensive (and I'm sure others do as well) that you are quick to point out the negatives but never comment on the positive. (I'm not even going to go into how a majority of the negative assertions you make are completely bogus).

Oh, and for the record... I like you better as Brownalum (your last post proves that you are not in high school since 99.9% of high schoolers are in school at 8:43 AM). Your obviously intentional grammar mistakes and slang spellings are starting to get irritating (and only discredit what you say, might I add). This is supposed to be an educational board. Your comments have hardly been educational. At least as brownalum your comments were some what humorous, possibly even witty.

One more thing brown alum... being a brown "alum" (as you claim to be) you must be at least 22 years old (most likely older). Aren't you ashamed that you act like a twelve-year-old? If not ashamed, at least embarrassed? I'm not sure if you have children, but if you do or ever plan on raising children, please offer them my condolences.

And, yes, I am somewhat ashamed of myself for wasting my time arguing with you about these trivial matters, but one more time, for the sake of people who come to this board for actual advice, please refrain from posting in the Harvard section.

By Fushia183 (Fushia183) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

so basically, besides this whole CHEMY spin on the board,

can i make the conclusion that harvard kids vs. penn kids really have less sleep and less of a social life?

is this worth it? or not...

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

You really can't make that conclusion because both universities are so large and their student bodies are so similar when it comes to academics. From what I've heard, Penn kids party hard, so if you really want to get drunk a lot go there. Otherwise i'd say the social scenes are alike.

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Thursday, May 06, 2004 - 06:58 pm: Edit

nope you cant make that conclusion

and a lot of H kids party very hard - u wanna be drunk or high constantly, it can def happen

its college guys - and this isnt some sort of religious conservative place

By Deferreddude (Deferreddude) on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

This is an excerpt from an article in the Harvard newspaper regarding the social life in Cambridge.

"Sitting on her bed to avoid the work building on her desk, she listlessly flips through TV channels. “Cold, gray and tired”—these are the words that describe her day-to-day Harvard malaise. “I honestly don’t know anyone who likes it here,” she says. “Everyone is waiting to get out.”

According to Anna Franekova ’05, the weight of this malaise crushes the liveliness of her peers. “I met up with a Harvard friend in Prague and it’s incredible how different she was in a different environment,” she says. “There are too many people who are happier on the outside.”

If this malaise is as general as Agbonyitor and Franekova suggest, why don’t more Harvard students jump ship? Chris Cowan, a former member of the Class of 2005 who transferred to Stanford, asserts that Harvard’s social mores override student dissatisfaction. “Even with all my complaints, Harvard was a hard place to walk away from,” he writes in an e-mail message. “The culture there is either you love it or you’ll suck it up because the name is worth it. Most people, even those that are unhappy, wouldn’t leave.”

http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=350153

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page