PE Grades

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: PE Grades
By Uniobsessed2 (Uniobsessed2) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 05:31 am: Edit

It's ironic because I'm doing the right activities and I'm getting straight A's (literally) for every single class except Phys. Ed, do you think that's gonna hurt my chances in the long run?

By Bmilder (Bmilder) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:31 pm: Edit

It only hurts somewhat if your school-calculated GPA includes gym, which could bring your rank down. Harvard doesn't care about your gym grades, though.

I was a little annoyed because my gym teacher decided to give me a B+ for first semester this year, and it was the only B on my transcript. It wasn't held against me; the adcoms probably just chuckled.

By Uniobsessed2 (Uniobsessed2) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

You mean you did get into Harvard even with the bad gym grade?

By Ali_Liu (Ali_Liu) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

how bad did you get though? i think it would probably matter if you did really bad...it might seem to the college that you're not "athletic" or "well-rounded"?

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Yay Satisfactory/Fail gym classes :D

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:50 am: Edit

One doesn't have to be athletic to get into Harvard. Back in the old days, 20 years ago, being well rounded was important, but that's not true any more.

When Harvard recalculates students' gpas, something that many colleges do as part of the admissions process, classes like gym aren't even included.

By Bmilder (Bmilder) on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 11:08 am: Edit

Uniobsessed2: Yes, I did get in. If you're really worried about it, you can work it into an essay or an interview in a humorous way. I mentioned my gym grade in my interview and then we got into a discussion about grade weighting and fairness.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page