Pre Frosh Weekend!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: Ivy League Schools: Harvard University: 2004 Archive: Pre Frosh Weekend!
By Happystudent (Happystudent) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

So, who went and what did you think?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Same question! I couldn't go. :-(

By Hannajvb (Hannajvb) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 02:41 am: Edit

I went. It was marvelous - I loved the place. I'll be going there in the fall. After visiting Yale, Princeton, and Harvard, my decision was easy. I'm glad I went to visit for myself. I left last week thinking I'd go to Yale. Came back not liking Yale at all, and thinking that Princeton was great but Harvard was grand. If you have specific questions, let me know.

By Laxgirl04 (Laxgirl04) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:22 am: Edit

yeah -- what was it that made you feel that way? I went to prefrosh and came out very confused about my college choices =). mainly bcs I think Harvard is lacking in a substantial commnunity.

By Donjuan (Donjuan) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 11:53 am: Edit

The Harvard Weekend practically turned me off completely. It's nonchalant attitude towards the students visiting the school (They figured most of them already signed up to go) plus the campus lifestyle (everyone seems so individualistic, practically no unity) and the fact that it is so liberal (Did anyone see some of those flyers) that just made me very turned off

By Newyorker06 (Newyorker06) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

I like that Harvard doesn't cater pathetically to the pre-frosh. The idea is to give prospectives an ACCURATE view of student life, not to have them arrive in September wondering what school they actually visited in April.

Don't really no what you mean by the lack of unity and am a bit curious as to how you could arrive at that conclusion after spending a whopping 48 hours on campus.

Pretty much all the Ivy's are famous for their liberalism. If you're conservative, you may want to look elsewhere (and towards the South).

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Post #7000

Harvard was great.

By Scarletgirl (Scarletgirl) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 04:30 pm: Edit

"I like that Harvard doesn't cater pathetically to the pre-frosh. "

that's funny. that whole weekend was just for us, do you realize? every single event was a once a year thing.

By Nannabanana08 (Nannabanana08) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

Personally I thought pre-frosh weekend was amazing. For the most part the students were extremely down-to-earth and friendly. Harvard gets such a bad rep for being snobby and elitist (and Iíll admit, I foolishly make that a concern of my own prior to this past weekend), but I met so many incredible, friendly people up there (both current students and fellow pre-frosh) that disproved that popular notion.

In response to the unity comment, I'm not sure what kind of unity you were expecting, but I certainly did not feel like there was a lack of unity. Also, as a conservative myself I felt that the conservative voice was VERY well heard on campus (much more than expected). If having a conservative campus is that important to you, it was definitely a mistake to apply to the ivies!

Lastly, as I know that the deadline for decisions is quickly approaching, I think that it is important that those of you who did not visit Harvard do not make a decision solely based on other people's opinions. Everyone is different, and many people strive in one environment versus another which is completely unique to them. My experience might have been very different than another's who went to Pre-frosh weekend. I know that I met many fabulous people and am very fortunate that I have been given the opportunity to spend the next four years of my life at such a place (and yes, I realize that I merely spent 72 hours at Harvard and my opinions are definitely subject to change once I actually get there in the fall). However, I definitely came out of the weekend feeling a lot more confident about my decision to attend Harvard, which was my goal to begin with.

To those of you who have made a decision, I wish you the best of luck with that decision, whether it be Harvard or any other school. To those of you who are still undecided, choose the school that feels right to you; not the school that feels right to me, anyone else on this board, or elsewhere, because ultimately you are the one that must live with the decision. Good luck to all of you, and congratulations on getting into Harvard!

By Weinerz (Weinerz) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 08:52 pm: Edit

i actually liked yale better but that's just me...good luck to all of u with ur choices.

By Dmitrypetrovna (Dmitrypetrovna) on Tuesday, April 27, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

I had an amazing time and I cannot wait till classes start in the fall. I love everything about Harvard especially the other amazing pre frosh and the faculty who were so kind, encouraging, and outgoing. The department open houses on Monday provided a great opportunity to meet and talk with the profs and undergraduates.

From talking with other pre frosh, I noticed that indeed most were chosing to enroll at Harvard. For many that I talked to, the biggest delima was not Harvard vs Princeton or Harvard vs Yale but deciding between Harvard and Stanford.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 07:03 pm: Edit

I thought it was very cool. Definetely going there now. My friend (who is a freshman there now)told me that everything was in fact "glossier."
At any rate, Cambridge and Boston were great. The students were helpful and friendly. The weather sucked, but then again its New England. $ was initially not great, but they re-reviewed it. Dorms were NICE, to say the least. Food was very good (I don't get why ppl complain about it).

Your thoughts?

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:48 pm: Edit

glad the money worked out Serdu. The food is great, as are the dorms

Glad to hear your coming to H, have a great end to HS and look forward to the fall!

By Riesenmy (Riesenmy) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

missed pre-frosh weekend but was there monday through today. it was amazing. completely erased all stereotypes i held. committed to harvard. i can't wait to graduate now.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I agree with all the positive comments above. Pre-frosh was amazing, and best of all, it did provide an accurate view of what campus life is really like.

I, for one, would not have appreciated royal treatment. Perhaps some of the events were geared toward the pre-frosh, but those events were the bona fide ones that were listed in the program. Did you see the signs for what is by all accounts the biggest part of the year, the "Mather Lather?" They don't have THAT during prefrosh!

Plus, that a capella thing on Sunday night gave me a tremendous feeling of community. Whenever I got lost, the students were very friendly - a few of them were even walking in my direction, and they were more than willing to talk about their views of Harvard, which were virtually all positive.

Great weekend - the end of high school seems like such a painful drag now!

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

I'd say that 99% of us who went to prefrosh weekend will be going to Harvard, regardless of what we thought beforehand. I met plenty of studnets "leaning" towards Stanford and Yale on Day 1, and by Monday, all of them were screaming CRIMSON 2008!!!

By Hstudent (Hstudent) on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 01:12 am: Edit

thats what happens a lot collegeguy - a lot of admits dont even give harvard a chance and turn another way based on what they've "heard"

When people acually come here and realize all the truth - they bleed crimson all the way!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page